Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 93 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 93 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun May 21, 2023 1:27 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:46 pm In the DBS anime/movies, he never used the one without the kanji again. In the manga he's only using this one in the retellings to match the movie versions.
Interesting, I never noticed that. I think it's a topic worth it's own thread for it's implications.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

picc
Beyond Newbie

Post by picc » Sun May 21, 2023 4:17 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:56 am
picc wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:30 amIts not odd at all. If the current manga story was a new story involving all the same people, these complaints wouldnt exist. Its not the recycling of characters thats irritating, its the literal, fascimile of a story we’ve already seen, and already know exactly what happens. Its a very stark and clear difference.
Well it's just the same in reverse. We read the manga and then watch an anime adaptation tell the same story we all know for several months.

Just this time the anime came first and then the manga.

Why are people so bothered about the Super anime coming back and adapting Moro and Granolah when we know that story already.
I’ve never seen an anime episode where I knew what was going to happen and had read it before. I suspect when I do, it will be less exciting for that same reason.

When the new eps come out, that will be the first time. And it will still be different, for two reasons. One, because written pages being animated is a novelty and an enhanced visual experience that does not apply the other way around. Two, because anime eps coming out afterward are telling the same story by necessity. Because it literally takes having the material first written to create the episode, and takes years to animate them. Its literally unavoidable.

With the SH adaptation, Toyotaro is intentionally presenting us with the exact same material as the movie, when HE DOESNT HAVE TO. Its a deliberate choice to rehash old and seen material, as opposed to the anime taking longer to come out than the manga for natural reasons.

Its okay for you to be fine with that. We’re all different. Its also okay to be frustrated by it especially when the manga only comes out once a month. If you cant understand this, I find that strange.
Planet Namek Bred

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 21, 2023 5:18 pm

I imagine the comic is adapting the Super Hero movie for two reasons: it's the beginning of a new era for the characters and because it is also easier to use it as a springboard for future character arcs.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omori » Mon May 22, 2023 8:57 pm

This arc will take 20,000 years to be done with.
The predictions on the first page had a few of us saying yeah, we'll get to see Gohan fight or about to fight in this one, at least the cliffhanger will be it... lol not even close. The new Black Freeza arc will debut in 2030.

I do wonder what's the point behind all of this, from their perspective. I mean, wouldn't the audience be slightly moving away from this for a while? and A WHILE actually being a big chunk of the year. it's like those sitcom episodes where they recap old situations, skipping this is a no-brainer.
I feel a lot of impatience from fans towards towards that arc, even though it probably won't run longer than a year (my guess: new arc from chapter 100 in December). Overall, the decision to adapt the movie makes a lot of sense, it makes the manga more accessible in the long run and now is no rush to jump to another arc (unlike with previous movies). Also nice to see Toyotaro's take on it and how he is connecting the ties with previous arcs. I even saw people complaining about the little Broly recap. Again, I think now was the best time to do so.
Well it's just the same in reverse. We read the manga and then watch an anime adaptation tell the same story we all know for several months.
I feel the same way, but I'm aware that the majority rather watches anime/movies than reading a manga.
In the DBS anime/movies, he never used the one without the kanji again. In the manga he's only using this one in the retellings to match the movie versions.
Interestingly, for the Broly movie, Goku has the kanji for a few panels, but he seemingly got his clothes fixed before fusing to Gogeta and the kanji is gone.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue May 23, 2023 6:40 am

Omori wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:57 pm
The predictions on the first page had a few of us saying yeah, we'll get to see Gohan fight or about to fight in this one, at least the cliffhanger will be it... lol not even close. The new Black Freeza arc will debut in 2030.

I do wonder what's the point behind all of this, from their perspective. I mean, wouldn't the audience be slightly moving away from this for a while? and A WHILE actually being a big chunk of the year. it's like those sitcom episodes where they recap old situations, skipping this is a no-brainer.
I feel a lot of impatience from fans towards towards that arc, even though it probably won't run longer than a year (my guess: new arc from chapter 100 in December). Overall, the decision to adapt the movie makes a lot of sense, it makes the manga more accessible in the long run and now is no rush to jump to another arc (unlike with previous movies). Also nice to see Toyotaro's take on it and how he is connecting the ties with previous arcs. I even saw people complaining about the little Broly recap. Again, I think now was the best time to do so.
I feel the same way, but I'm aware that the majority rather watches anime/movies than reading a manga.
In the DBS anime/movies, he never used the one without the kanji again. In the manga he's only using this one in the retellings to match the movie versions.
Interestingly, for the Broly movie, Goku has the kanji for a few panels, but he seemingly got his clothes fixed before fusing to Gogeta and the kanji is gone.
Headcannon, the kanji got torn off and Piccolo clothes beamed them back on.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue May 23, 2023 9:10 am

TobyS wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:40 am
Omori wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:57 pm

Headcannon, the kanji got torn off and Piccolo clothes beamed them back on.
His belt changes too, from the tied obi of early DB to the knotless obi of later DB.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Tue May 23, 2023 10:29 am

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:56 am Why are people so bothered about the Super anime coming back and adapting Moro and Granolah when we know that story already.
The novelty of seeing the material adapted to a more visually stimulating medium, I mean just look at how Toei have been animating One Piece recently. Many Dragon Ball fans want DBS Season 2 to be given the same treatment.

Toei could make story changes to the arcs, just as how the DBS manga and anime had considerable differences between them.

Also many Dragon Ball fans straight up haven't read the Moro and Granola arcs and have no plans to, but they would watch them in anime form due to the medium's broader appeal.

On the other hand waiting month to month for Super Hero to be adapted from a movie to a manga is a straight up downgrade in terms of overall aesthetics, no colour, no sound, no voice acting, no animation and Toyotarou's mediocre art skills just cannot compare with Super Hero's fight scenes. It's no surprise most fans have absolutely no interest in this and would rather get a new story.

Not to mention most of this adaptation has changed so little to the original movie that it has no worth as an alternate retelling of events. Although we'll likely get saiyaman x 1 and 2 meeting the gammas... so that's something I guess, maybe Toyotarou will reference the Spider-Man pointing meme :yawn:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue May 23, 2023 11:53 am

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:56 am Why are people so bothered about the Super anime coming back and adapting Moro and Granolah when we know that story already.
It’s fairly simple, moving from a B&W comic to a coloured animated form is an upgrade even if the story is already known(more than one sense will be involved for the "retelling"), while the other way around is a downgrade(only one sense involved and half of it sorta speak because no colour), specially if the story is already known and told play-by-play, with situations stretched unnecessarily, with little to no new inclusions, and taking its time like it's all brand new.
The slow pace of the manga has already been discussed to death, but now its sluggish pace is here to tell an already known story but in a medium with less resources.

Not to mention manga arcs being animated means more chances of them being included in videogames.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue May 23, 2023 4:00 pm

Outside of maybe one or two scenes, this isn't a pacing issue. These chapters are covering a good bulk of the movie's content every month thus far.

This is an "I'm impatient because I've already seen the movie" issue for some of you. Which is fair, but that's on the reader and not the manga. If you want to experience the film in comic format, this easily seems to be the best way to do so.

I have my own gripes with the arbitrary decision to adapt some movies and apparently not others, but that's a different conversation.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

kemuri07
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kemuri07 » Fri May 26, 2023 7:57 am

picc wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:30 am
Kazuya Mishima wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:40 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:42 pm This arc will take 20,000 years to be done with.

It seems odd that you appear to be criticising the manga for taking too long in telling a story that's already been told because you're waiting for the story to move on to another story that features Frieza for the umpteenth time.
Its not odd at all. If the current manga story was a new story involving all the same people, these complaints wouldnt exist. Its not the recycling of characters thats irritating, its the literal, fascimile of a story we’ve already seen, and already know exactly what happens. Its a very stark and clear difference.
Also, like, after the way Freeza's "glow up...."

Yes I would very much like to get to an actually interesting story beat.