Character You Wish Did More?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Character You Wish Did More?

Post by BeaBumby » Mon May 15, 2023 5:13 pm

As the title says, I'm askin all of ya for a character you feel isn't as important as you thought they would be/wanted them to be.

Now I'm expecting a bunch of Raditzes and Videls, so I must clarify I'm looking for an answer that would strike up more conversation. If you feel like Yajirobe should have gotten the kaioken and beat up Cell or something, feel free to explain.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Character You Wish Did More?

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 15, 2023 5:45 pm

Bra in GT. I feel like she would have been a great opportunity to have "What if Bulma could kick ass?" instead she just exist to show how soft and domesticated Vegeta had become since Z. I wouldn't expect her to have a major role but let her lay the smackdown on some minor antagonist or something.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 15, 2023 6:21 pm

That and not having her dress like a... yeah.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon May 15, 2023 6:35 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:45 pm Bra in GT. I feel like she would have been a great opportunity to have "What if Bulma could kick ass?" instead she just exist to show how soft and domesticated Vegeta had become since Z. I wouldn't expect her to have a major role but let her lay the smackdown on some minor antagonist or something.
On a somewhat related note, I want Marron to kick ass someday, maybe she and Bra could be training partners idk
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue May 16, 2023 8:13 am

-Videl - After her fight with Spopovich she became very minor character, even more in DBS and GT. Wish she appeared more as Great Saiyaman 2 in some filler episodes. GT made her wear that costume which was a nice touch, although it would be cool if she fought some of the weakest villains from hell.

-Goten - While Trunks had some moments on his own (especially including his future self), Goten always lacked these. GT gave him some respect by separating him from Trunks and giving him his own fight against main villain, but that's about it.

-Raditz - For someone who is main character's brother he disappeared too fast and was barely even mentioned after that. He should at least have a single scene in Super 17 saga like Nappa got. Him appearing in DBS Broly was a nice touch. Now i'm not saying he should be brought back to life, but could be a bit more used at least in some fillers taking place in otherworld or in Janemba/Super 17 sagas.

-Pan in GT - While she was a second main character for entire series, she didn't do much fighting on her own. GT lacked side kicks that she could handle between biggest fights where Goku should be main star.

-Ledgic - He was such a cool character, yet he wasn't even shown giving energy to Goku during his last fight with Omega. Even Don Kee and his sidekicks were shown, but he did not appear for some unknown reason. Goku also promised him another fight back then, so it would be cool if he returned at some point.

-Uub in GT - Not much to explain. Cool scenes in Baby saga, but for someone who Goku took as his own student he should've done more in series.

-Chichi - As a former martial artist and Goku's wife she could've been used for more than just yelling at Goku and Gohan. Not heavily underused, but she deserves a bit more love.

-Upa - I simply liked him and wish he appeared more as one of Goku's oldest friends.

-King Cold - Not fan of him tbh. But just like Raditz, he appeared out of nowhere and died quickly and was completely forgotten and he was Frieza's father. I much more enjoyed how Cooler was executed and he was just a movie character.

-Erasa - Now this is completely out of ass and biased example that no one probably thought of. But i like her and kinda wish she was used more. Just like Videl, her role was reduced after Spopovich appeared on tournament. Wish she was used in DBS visiting Videl and playing with little Pan or something. Just a single appearance of her would make me much happier.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Tue May 16, 2023 8:33 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:13 am -Erasa - Now this is completely out of ass and biased example that no one probably thought of. But i like her and kinda wish she was used more. Just like Videl, her role was reduced after Spopovich appeared on tournament. Wish she was used in DBS visiting Videl and playing with little Pan or something. Just a single appearance of her would make me much happier.
oh rad, another erasa fan, shes so cool
she/her yknow

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Tue May 16, 2023 9:31 am

I'd like to see Tarble and his wife again. Unlike the other major brother, he actually is alive, and can lead to some interesting dynamics with Vegeta. And can you imagine the interactions between Bulma and Gure?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 16, 2023 8:42 pm

King Cold. The father of Freeza only exist just to job.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed May 17, 2023 10:04 am

I wouldn't have minded if Tenshinhan and Piccolo did a little bit more before they were decisively left in the dust by Goku. Neither of them got a rematch with Goku after the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. I like to imagine Piccolo might have gotten one while they trained for the Androids, but if so it's never shown.

I would have loved to see them learn the Kaioken, because of what they might have been able to do with it. Would Tenshinhan have been able to do some screwy shit by mixing it with his ability to split into four people? Would Piccolo's regenerative abilities have mitigated some of the strain on his body? If Piccolo busted out the Kaioken against Freeza's 3rd form, it might have made the latter's jump to his 4th form feel necessary. Tenshinhan using it against Cell would have been neat: he's already no stranger to life-threatening techniques, so it'd be a cool moment to see him combine two such techniques into a Kaioken Kikoho out of maximum desperation.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 17, 2023 10:13 am

I'm always interested in a fun story that a creator is interested in telling, so in that respect I'm open to quite a lot of different ideas. If I had to lead a new story project myself I'd probably just go with some nice ol' Sapphic action in trying to get more out of the Caulifla x Kale relationship.

Alternatively, I wish we had more Gokuu Black and Zamasu, I really enjoyed the Zamasu from the Hearts arc of Super Dragon Ball Heroes.

Actually giving Chi-Chi an arc would be nice, too. Like, fuck, give me something about her other than that awful stereotype.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Wed May 17, 2023 11:00 am

We can pick any character? I don't know... but I will go with Bra and Oob in GT I feel like they could do much better with these characters.

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Wed May 17, 2023 4:31 pm

So for me:

Yamcha - yeah, yeah, we all love a good laugh at Yamcha but to be serious...
As a character who actually kicked some ass in original Dragon Ball to going into a royal friend and a reliable pot of wisdom about various fighters, I feel they could do a lot, lot more with him.
Yamcha just had bad luck with the series, first in Tenkaichi Budokais he was always put into a fight against someone who had to prove to the audience how strong they are, later in Z he had to be forgot in order to show the relantionship between Bulma and V.

Later Yamcha was made into kind of a coward and in Super he is almost ubearable. True, he was always kind of smug but so much more could be done, maybe something akin to Super's Krilin.
His death scene is extravagated beyond belief. But what people forget is how skillful fight he had before that scene :P

I feel Yamcha could have been placed instead of Tien as a more main figure.
It's true, Tien is awesome and I love him like any other guy but the thing with Ten Shinan is he already had his arc told.
He experienced a full story and grew into a master in his own right. By the end of Cell saga, he even said they will never see him again, which also makes his appearnce in Buu special.
Tien hanging out at parties after that, diminishes it a bit.

Videl - Videl was never an extremely deep character but she was very fun to watch, she was a great fit for Gohan and had that 'spark' in her.
She being Satan's daughter, seeing through Great Sayiaman, learning ki was VERY interesting and memorable.
Her scene with Spopovich is remembered and talked to this day.
It isn't even she doesn't do that much, beacuse that's a norm for DB but what they made her is far far worse than what we had.
Yes, in Buu saga she was a teen but even with that, seeing her character change into a perfect japanese wife with being a goody goody, perfect woman and perfect mother and "you should be nice to parents" is cringy to watch.

Goten and Trunks - While I am not the greatest fan of Gotenks, I think what Super (and earlier GT did) diminishes all the part of Buu saga about passing the torch. While I understand Super takes a different approach, this retroactively makes Goku decisions, Piccolo traning and both of their hopes mean nothing.
Goku needing to teach them fusion and then teaching it to Piccolo to teach THEM fusion is a massive plot point and by not doing with them anything in Super, makes this plot point very, very redundant.
It is actually the same with Uub but with Uub GT is more to blame, Super still needs to show it's stance on the character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 17, 2023 7:45 pm

I want to clarify that I don't care about the characters having a more important role in the plot. I want to see certain characters have more to do story wise. I would like to see them change and grow.

Pan in GT because relegating her to the damsel is a waste.
Piccolo, though Super Hero gives me hope. I found his relationship with Pan to be adorable and worth exploring more.
Trunks
Tenshinhan
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed May 17, 2023 8:11 pm

Tenshinhan from the Namek arc forward.
Toriyama gave him a speech of how he would "find his way to keep up" only to be completely forgotten.

Bulma in the Boo arc.
Every or most arcs had influence from her. Mainly technology, for example removing #16 bomb in the Cell arc.
The Boo arc deviated, she wasn't completely reduced to a side character but her "brain" trait was completely absent.

King Bogo

Post by King Bogo » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:43 pm

Lunch a.k.a. Launch because Mr. Bird Mountain forgot her existence.

P.S. Mr. Bird Mountain is my nickname for Toriyama-san when he forgets things

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:53 pm

King Bogo wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:43 pm Lunch a.k.a. Launch because Mr. Bird Mountain forgot her existence.

So pretty much always lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:31 pm

King Bogo wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:43 pm Lunch a.k.a. Launch because Mr. Bird Mountain forgot her existence.

He didn't though. She was always deliberately written out, with an explanation in the story for how she was written out and everything.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:13 pm

See, almost everyone who "doesn't do much" I wouldn't mind if they didn't have to keep showing up. I liked Launch sometimes, but her gimmick wore thin after a while and she didn't really have anywhere to go after that (and really, do we think her thing for Tenshinhan would give her more agency?). I don't blame Toriyama for writing her out of the story, I just wish he did a better job at it. Similarly, I don't blame modern Dragon Ball for not being interested in Tien, Yamcha or Chiaotzu being active fighters, but they keep hanging around fights looking like they theoretically could do something. And that really bothers me, because if I'm expected to believe these people were ever super-strong, they should at least try. Ironically, despite all the fuckin power levels, there seems to no longer be any strength in numbers in Dragon Ball.

All that being said, I've long stood by the belief that Gohan and Videl along with Goten and Trunks should have been the sole protagonists of the Buu arc. I like a lot of Goku and Vegeta's stuff, but it basically should have been a cap to the series with Buu as a more independent issue. There's nothing so specific about Buu that you couldn't do those arcs without him and Babidi.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:58 pm

I wish that the humans stopped showing up in general. I wasn't invested in Kuririn, Chaozu, Tenshinhan, Yamcha and the Muten Roushi's stories after the Saiyan arc. The lack of doing anything really substantial with their characters—beyond arguably giving Kuririn some really cool scenes during the Namek arc—really just makes their presence panel-crowding. All that extra time could have gone to actually fleshing out new characters, or characters that were being thrust into the spotlight randomly (Gohan).

Say what you will for spotanenity in writing, but the point of having an editor is for that editor to curtail and shape that looseness into a more solid form. After Kondou Yuu left before the Cell Game the series really lost that advantage and Toriyama's shenanigans really got out of hand.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:14 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:58 pm I wish that the humans stopped showing up in general. I wasn't invested in Kuririn, Chaozu, Tenshinhan, Yamcha and the Muten Roushi's stories after the Saiyan arc. The lack of doing anything really substantial with their characters—beyond arguably giving Kuririn some really cool scenes during the Namek arc—really just makes their presence panel-crowding. All that extra time could have gone to actually fleshing out new characters, or characters that were being thrust into the spotlight randomly (Gohan).

Say what you will for spotanenity in writing, but the point of having an editor is for that editor to curtail and shape that looseness into a more solid form. After Kondou Yuu left before the Cell Game the series really lost that advantage and Toriyama's shenanigans really got out of hand.
But most of the female characters are humans. Dont you want more female characters actually doing something?