New Dragon Ball Z Blu-Rays From Crunchyroll Coming August 1st

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: New Dragon Ball Z Blu-Rays From Crunchyroll Coming August 1st

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat May 20, 2023 10:35 am

It is interesting how they're going backwards with the re-braninding (super, gt, Z, then assuming Dragon Ball). I'm assuming its sales based with super and GT selling more now?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat May 20, 2023 11:16 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:25 am
Lance Freeman wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:04 pmwhy are they going back to the 2013 masters after making such a huge fuss about the 30th anniversary sets being in 4:3? I know "the way it was meant to be seen" is a meme around these parts but COME ON...
Most likely the same reason the level sets were canned even though Steve Franko confirmed that he completed work on all 291 episodes, to push the narrative that "4:3 didn't sell", and kill off any demand for the aspect ratio.
Why they couldnt at least put them on streaming service? Once again, such shame CR/Funimation are so incompetent when it comes to good Dragon Ball home release, how i wish Discotek did it instead :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat May 20, 2023 11:30 am

GTx10 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:59 am

I apologize for the late reply and I understand. Although the rush job is Meh at times I don't see anything else they could have done. They had to put dubbing into the things they cut it out from the TV version.so I can see why it is like that.

But who wanted the edited TV broadcast audio for these Uncut sets? Isn't that what the Rock the Dragon set was for? I remember when I picked up the Bricks I was happy to see Uncut video and audio. (Mostly for the audio.
So, I feel like there's some confusion here.

Funimation has been dubbing the show uncut since they started season 3 in 1999. There were no gaps to fill in. They dubbed the show "uncut" first and then edited it down from there for the Toonami broadcast. Episodes 68-291 were available uncut upon their first release.

But once Funimation finished DBZ, GT, and the original Dragon Ball and Pioneer's home video distribution rights to the edited first two seasons and first 3 Z movies they decided to redub the first two seasons uncut with their in-house cast. That was part of their ultimate uncut release

https://youtu.be/amTeAfPYKeQ

They only released the first 9 volumes (27 episodes) before canceling the sets because they realized nobody wants to pay $20 just to own 3 episodes. That's where the Orange Bricks came in.

The Orange Bricks were supposed to be all 291 episodes in 9 " season" sets but then there was a problem.

Some of the actors had changed like Ceyli Delgadillo voiced Dende for Funimation but was then replaced by Laura Bailey for the redub of the first two seasons, Dale Kelly was Funimation's first in-house narrator but was then replaced by Kyle Hebert for the Buu saga and redub of the first two seasons etc

And some of the actors didn't change but now their voices completely different. Chris Sabat started out doing a really poor Brian Drummond impression but eventually started personalizing it until eventually evolved into the Vegeta voice most people associate for the English dub of Vegeta which is what he used for the first two seasons. Linda Young started imitating Pauline Newstone's Frieza but when she came back for the early Namek redub it was more like c
"Plastered Rita Repulsa" etc

So rather than risk confusion with a bunch of voices sounding completely different they went back and redubbed some of the dialog for the Ginyu, Frieza, and Garlic Jr sagas (and Kyle Hebert redubbed ALL of Dale Kelly's narration which was the only redubbing done past the Garlic jr saga) And this is what fans had a problem with. There was technically no need to do this so it felt revisionist for a lot of fans. And then there was the issue of half-assing it. Sabat redubbed Vegeta and the characters he replaced (like redubbing Mark Britten as Burter) but didn't bother redubbing his other legacy characters so Yamcha got a surfer accent in season 3 that he didn't have in the first two seasons of Z or the original Dragon Ball and Piccolo went from sounding more serious and commanding to sounding like a moron. And then you had Sean Schemmel not redubbing ANY of his work (either because he didn't like playing revionist history or because Funimation wasn't going to pay to fly him down from New York to re-record his exact same dialog). It became a case of "Why did Funimation bother if they're going to half-ass?"

A comparison
https://youtu.be/CwwTD4ql9ak
Unrelated, walmart is selling blu-ray Orange Bricks. Where does that fit into all this mess?
Three seasons for the the price of 1. So of course Crunchyroll is reselling the exact same thing except 1 season is going to cost exactly the same you could get for 3 seasons at Wal-mart. It was embarrassing when the complete GT series was available for $22 at Wal-mart and then Crunchyroll decided to resell the exact same dvds with their logos for $52 and it's embarrassing here.

Just in case there was any doubt Crunchyroll was more competent I guess.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat May 20, 2023 1:12 pm

I never knew I needed to hear Frieza saying" bologna "in my life. But now that I've heard that line I can't live without it. Okay I think I follow what you're saying, there was no need to redubb certain lines and so it comes off as fans being bugged that there's a mismatch between TV dub voices mixed with uncut dub voices even if the dialogue is the same or slightly the same. Although with that being said it's not the most egregious thing they've done. It doesn't make or break anything. (Like the subs being hard to see, that is a pain)
Also you are totally right Yamucha's accent changes radically and Namek Sean is like "whoa! What happened man!" I didn't know Cell saga - Buu was originally recorded Uncut but then edited later for TV. I learned something so thank you. I think the redubbing similar lines was to remove some of those odd word choices like bologna lol. (I love that.)
I was looking at the Walmart blu-ray Orange Bricks today and it is 3 in one. Honestly I was tempted to pick one up just to compare it to my DVD orange brick. I did not though.

So in short these new crunchyroll sets are single season blu-ray 16:9 sets? Right...? So basically Blu-ray Orange Bricks with new packaging?
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat May 20, 2023 1:28 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:35 am It is interesting how they're going backwards with the re-braninding (super, gt, Z, then assuming Dragon Ball). I'm assuming its sales based with super and GT selling more now?
I doubt GT sells more than Z. I assume Super was first because it's recent and GT preceded Z because it's only 2 sets instead of 9 to go back and re-insert the Crunchyroll logo.

Man, it will be really frustrating that Euroepe is getting well received blu-ray releases of original Dragon Ball and we're going to get the Blue Bricks with the CrunchyRoll logo for like $30 a pop.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat May 20, 2023 1:36 pm

GTx10 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:12 pm and so it comes off as fans being bugged that there's a mismatch between TV dub voices mixed with uncut dub voices even if the dialogue is the same or slightly the same.
So, it's not tv dub vs uncut it's original uncut vs remastered uncut. There's 3 versions

Original English uncut- Released on vhs and DVD (the old singles you could find in the late 90s/early 2000s)

English Edited version- What you saw on tv and was also on vhs. This has scenes cut and censored for content and some of the dialog was toned down. (Ex: Goku in uncut version: "My butt is on fire!" Goku in edited version: "My rear is on fire!"

English remastered uncut- The version releases for the Orange Bricks and everything since. Same as original uncut but with some of the voices redubbed and slightly different dialog in some places.

Funimation's whole handling of the series is a clusterfuck to put it mildy.
I was looking at the Walmart blu-ray Orange Bricks today and it is 3 in one. Honestly I was tempted to pick one up just to compare it to my DVD orange brick. I did not though.
If you're fine with your Orange Bricks I wouldn't bother.

So in short these new crunchyroll sets are single season blu-ray 16:9 sets? Right...? So basically Blu-ray Orange Bricks with new packaging?
[/quote

Correct

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat May 20, 2023 2:13 pm

If this forum had a like button you'd get it sir!

Ah well then yeah I guess it safe to keep my Orange Brick dvds as is. Maybe I will learn how to digitize them and put them on a hard drive or something. Somehow...

Well to whomever buys these sets let us know how they turn out.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sat May 20, 2023 3:11 pm

When the 30th anniversary set was announced, the entire collective Dragon Ball fandom dunked it and tore Funimation a new one. It became a PR fiasco for Funi so rather than considering it a step in the right direction or an improvement over what came before, they see it as an embarrassment and are sweeping it under the rug and reverting back. We won't be seeing the 30th remaster again. Good job guys.

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Mon May 22, 2023 8:30 am

To the fandom's defense, their decision to put it in a fundraising campaign of sorts and the framing of 4:3 being the "premium" option for years (yeah, because their normal OG and GT DVDs were totally in wide-screen) made it practically impossible to defend Funimation during that debacle. Though it also inadvertently justified Funimation's belief (or at least the appearance of it) that 16:9 content sells better than 4:3, and the reasons why those sold better has already been explained in this forum several times at least.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Mon May 22, 2023 6:29 pm

Wrigglything wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:30 am To the fandom's defense, their decision to put it in a fundraising campaign of sorts and the framing of 4:3 being the "premium" option for years (yeah, because their normal OG and GT DVDs were totally in wide-screen) made it practically impossible to defend Funimation during that debacle. Though it also inadvertently justified Funimation's belief (or at least the appearance of it) that 16:9 content sells better than 4:3, and the reasons why those sold better has already been explained in this forum several times at least.
Let's not forget that all the problems people had with the 16:9 release were still there in the 4:3 release, it was just back in 4:3. Honestly, it feels like we need to stop trusting any Funimation/Crunchyroll release of the series until Toei does their version or the corporate Katamari that is Crunchyroll buys up Discotek to get their video engineers and upscaling software.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue May 23, 2023 9:37 am

Lance Freeman wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:29 pm
Wrigglything wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:30 am To the fandom's defense, their decision to put it in a fundraising campaign of sorts and the framing of 4:3 being the "premium" option for years (yeah, because their normal OG and GT DVDs were totally in wide-screen) made it practically impossible to defend Funimation during that debacle. Though it also inadvertently justified Funimation's belief (or at least the appearance of it) that 16:9 content sells better than 4:3, and the reasons why those sold better has already been explained in this forum several times at least.
Let's not forget that all the problems people had with the 16:9 release were still there in the 4:3 release, it was just back in 4:3. Honestly, it feels like we need to stop trusting any Funimation/Crunchyroll release of the series until Toei does their version or the corporate Katamari that is Crunchyroll buys up Discotek to get their video engineers and upscaling software.
Sony is behind them now and Sony produces some really great restorations, so them getting Discotek might not do anything.

Also, as of this post, Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Amazon Exclusive) ranks #14 on sales for Anime on Amazon. At this point, I wonder who's even buying these lol

I do feel bad for Kai fans.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 23, 2023 10:42 am

Never understood the correlation to sales and 16:9. I just can't comprehend two things:
(1) Who are these execs who don't understand that the release didn't sell better because of the 16:9?
(2) WHY try to push the 16:9 in the first place?

Also, they couldn't even be bothered to update the cover art?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue May 23, 2023 11:25 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:42 am
Never understood the correlation to sales and 16:9. I just can't comprehend two things:
(1) Who are these execs who don't understand that the release didn't sell better because of the 16:9?
(2) WHY try to push the 16:9 in the first place?

Also, they couldn't even be bothered to update the cover art?
Old marketing habbits. It's littlery the same thing that caused Pan and scan to dominate the home video market since the begining. People want their TVs screened filled. Same reason why 90% of 4:3 conent has that annoying blurred backgrounds to mask the 4:3 pillars

But your right, the levels got hit (even on here) with complaints in regards to price per episode.

Level 1.1 had 9 episodes per disc, 17 episodes in it's release.
Season One had 10 episodes per disc and 39 episodes in it's release.

And even with the U.S Dragon Box (where you had 1 more episode compared to it's JP counterpart) you can see the difference

They're getting their moneys worth for that custom art :lol:

Ill also say this, just in general. I think even with the level sets, Discotek would have done a better job

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:34 pm

How foolish I was for thinking Crunchyroll may actually enforce higher standards. Really makes me regret only getting the first three steelbooks, now that the aftermarket has priced me out of the rest.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:07 am

Box art announced for the complete series. Not going to lie if I could get this separately for my Blu-Rays I would.

Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:54 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:07 am Box art announced for the complete series. Not going to lie if I could get this separately for my Blu-Rays I would.

[img]-image snipped-/img]
I wouldn't.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:21 pm

So, they used the orange brick boxes with the individual cases and discs being identical to the original Blu-ray release? I guess I can understand that. If Funimation was actively producing the Blu-rays, I can see this being a case of just slapping the new logo on it.

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:54 am

So like if I already have the English Dragon Boxes should I even bother with this?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:57 pm

Plague-Memories wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:54 am So like if I already have the English Dragon Boxes should I even bother with this?
You didn't bother with them since 2013, so why would you bother now?

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:50 pm

Plague-Memories wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:54 am So like if I already have the English Dragon Boxes should I even bother with this?
Unless you need the dub music, you already own the perfect release.