What's more important for you: Fitting voices, Good voice acting or Good screams?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

What's more important for you: Fitting voices, Good voice acting or Good screams?

Post by TheRed259 » Fri May 19, 2023 10:30 am

For me:

1) Fitting voices
2) Good voice acting
3) Good screams

I put the screams in the last position because I wouldn't like that much someone who has good screams but he/she is a unfitting voice or has mediocre/bad performances.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Re: What's more important for you: Fitting voices, Good voice acting or Good screams?

Post by Scientist Fu » Fri May 19, 2023 10:44 am

For me it would be
1) Good voice acting
2) Good screams
3) Fitting voice

I really don't mind if the voice fits the character or not, what matters to me is the acting, the screams etc

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: What's more important for you: Fitting voices, Good voice acting or Good screams?

Post by Yuji » Fri May 19, 2023 11:06 am

They're all important but for Dragon Ball being good at acting and screaming are pretty much synonymous.

I'd say fitting voices are the most important. The series would be borderline unwatchable if Horikawa and Nozawa swapped roles.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri May 19, 2023 11:12 am

Fitting in the sense they're true to the Japanese version or fitting in that they could work with those characters even if they weren't true to to the original?

Brian Drummond and Pauline Newstone gave good performances and the voices fit the versions of Vegeta and Freeza they were playing (Saturday Morning Cartoon villains) but they didn't fit how the characters should sound.

I guess a better performance would still matter more to me. I think Stephanie Nadolny's take on Goku fit the character, even though it sounds nothing like Nozawa, but it was a mostly terrible acting performance. Where Colleen Clinkenbeard sounded a bit too effiminate for Goku but it was at least a fairly solid performance

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri May 19, 2023 11:35 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:12 am Fitting in the sense they're true to the Japanese version or fitting in that they could work with those characters even if they weren't true to to the original?
The second one.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 19, 2023 5:08 pm

Just good acting. I don't really think character voices matter so long as it's a well delivered performance.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat May 20, 2023 4:00 am

These are not some kind of either/or tradeoff. Screaming is not a wholly separate skill from any other kind of acting, and being able to fit into a role is still part of a performance. At best, it's up to the casting directors to choose people who fit more naturally, or who are better or worse at getting intense depending on which roles require it. It sets an incredibly low bar to treat voice actors being good at voice acting as a single option that will have you miss out on the others or something.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sat May 20, 2023 7:28 am

Shaddy wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:00 am These are not some kind of either/or tradeoff. Screaming is not a wholly separate skill from any other kind of acting, and being able to fit into a role is still part of a performance.
Agreed.

Ideally, the right voice actor will be at least competent at all three.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 20, 2023 10:07 am

Shaddy said what I was going to. These aren't hermetically sealed qualities. Though of the three, a great scream isn't as high on my list. I'm willing to accept an okay scream if the actor fits and gives a great performance. Corlette wasn't willing to blow out his voice for what little they were paying him. While I have issues with the characterization in the Ocean dub, he gives a really good performance. A fitting voice is part of the performance.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed May 24, 2023 4:41 pm

Ideally a bit of everything. Kyle Hebert sounds nothing like Nozawa, but his voice performance still fits Gohan's dorky personality. So you can still "fit" the character even if you don't sound the same as the original seiyuu, that would just be a nice bonus. One that comes to mind is Aqua from Konosuba. Her dub actress performance fits the character and she sounds just like an English version of her Seiyuu. (It sounds like they have the same voice type to me.)