Criticism

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Criticism

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:21 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:25 amCue Chris Sabat's unprompted criticism of Joji Yanami's Kaio performance in the middle of a panel that had nothing to do with dub vs. sub differences (complete with a cringe imitation of Yanami to boot). Very unprofessional and disrespectful to the recently deceased Yanami.
Welp, looks like I'm removing him from my Superman fan voice cast. Jesus Christ, Sabat.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:57 pm

I'll admit I definitely stopped posting here as frequently because I saw a lot of dub hate by a few vocal people, but yeah this thread is a little strange, like why stir the pot?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:30 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:25 am Cue Chris Sabat's unprompted criticism of Joji Yanami's Kaio performance in the middle of a panel that had nothing to do with dub vs. sub differences (complete with a cringe imitation of Yanami to boot). Very unprofessional and disrespectful to the recently deceased Yanami.

He's very much that old man screaming at clouds.
Wait, is that true? When did that happen? Where? What was the criticism? If true, that sounds like it's in pretty bad taste. It's also quite rich given what their dub did to Kaio... :?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:31 am

Gaffer Tape wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:30 pm
Majin Buu wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:25 am Cue Chris Sabat's unprompted criticism of Joji Yanami's Kaio performance in the middle of a panel that had nothing to do with dub vs. sub differences (complete with a cringe imitation of Yanami to boot). Very unprofessional and disrespectful to the recently deceased Yanami.

He's very much that old man screaming at clouds.
Wait, is that true? When did that happen? Where? What was the criticism? If true, that sounds like it's in pretty bad taste. It's also quite rich given what their dub did to Kaio... :?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=0MAFdBSqbLs&feature=share7

To recap : Fan asked Schemmel where he came up with his King Kai voice, Schemmel said they were told to imitate the Canadian cast and he thought Don Brown was doing a Buddy Hackett impression so he did his best Buddy Hackett voice for King Kai. Then, Sabat, unprompted, said he appreciated Schemmel's take because he never agreed artistically with the Japanese voice which was too deadpan for the character and then does a frail old man voice to imitate Yanami's Kaio. And I guess at no point Sabat noticed that Kaio and the narrator sound exactly the same for a reason.

It doesn't seem like Schemmel or Sabat were even aware Yanami was dead but at least Schemmel had the decency to add he was pretty sure Yanami was a legend in Japan.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:22 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:31 am It doesn't seem like Schemmel or Sabat were even aware Yanami was dead
They likely weren't, they don't seem to be that plugged in to the Japanese side of the franchise.

But all that means is that Sabat's actions didn't come from a place of malice.

Considering he was there as a representative of Funimation that's involved with production of the dub on more than just a voice acting level, he should have been more professional regardless. He could have just praised Schemmel's Kaio and left it at that. He went out of his way to criticize Yanami's performance.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:59 am

Majin Buu wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:22 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:31 am It doesn't seem like Schemmel or Sabat were even aware Yanami was dead
They likely weren't, they don't seem to be that plugged in to the Japanese side of the franchise.

But all that means is that Sabat's actions didn't come from a place of malice.

Considering he was there as a representative of Funimation that's involved with production of the dub on more than just a voice acting level, he should have been more professional regardless. He could have just praised Schemmel's Kaio and left it at that. He went out of his way to criticize Yanami's performance.
Oh I agree 100 percent, it was completely uncalled for for Sabat to even mention Yanami's performance like that. All the fan did was ask Schemmel how he came up with his King Kai voice. Nobody there was criticizing Schemmel's Kai or comparing it unfavorably to Yanami, putting down Yanami's performance to boost Schemmel's performance was unnecessary and out of line.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:47 am

For sure. It's like critics of the dub live rent free in his head.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:25 pm

The more I read about Chris Sabat, the more I dislike him. That was low of him how he spoke about Yanami.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:06 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:57 pm I'll admit I definitely stopped posting here as frequently because I saw a lot of dub hate by a few vocal people, but yeah this thread is a little strange, like why stir the pot?
I just remember that it's a vocal few, like you said. The English voice actors get so much love irl, it's insane. The internet is not an accurate representation for large franchises.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:33 am

Very surprised this thread hasn't been locked, but if it's a place for us to air our grievances I'll gladly contribute.

If there's one genuine criticism I can give to VegettoEX it's his blatant bias towards certain forum users.

I won't name names of course but there was a period of time when a "Certain User" who currently has over 15,000 posts would constantly derail threads to insert talking points about their personal social political ideologies and would deem anyone who disagreed with them and Toriyama himself a bigot.

This behavior occurred in a countless number of threads but instead of account strikes or a ban VegettoEX would coddle and baby this "Certain User" meanwhile if this was any other newer forum user with less posts their account would've been permanently banned.

To be fair they were eventually banned once after about 50 warnings but this ban only lasted a month or so.

Clear and utter bias, disappointing moderator behavior.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:38 pm

I want to thank everyone for the amazing thread. It's been truly wonderful. Each and every new post has been a delight, filling my soul with joy. Now that it's been about two weeks of said hilarity (and more to bring things back around on-topic as opposed to the off-topic dub conversation it just swerved toward), I thought I — as of course the only single individual person who maintains this website and moderates/administers this forum that it's a part of* — would chime in on a few things.

(*this is of course absolutely false, but more on that in a bit!)

We have a not-unspoken rule among our moderation team that we don't publicly comment on activity like specific account strikes/bans, and that's for a couple reasons. First and foremost, it's lame drama. We ain't here for the drama. Clean it up, move on, let's go: that's how we like to handle things. It's why I still love engaging and talking here, and we've had it endlessly told to us that it's why many of you still love engaging and talking here. The majority of us got into the series when were were in our teenage years, but ain't nobody got time for acting like that anymore.

That said, hah, oh man, let's break character for a moment and dig into a couple things before the curtain pulls back forever again.

The Reality Distortion
One thing you absolutely need to know is just how much every story you read from someone complaining about why they were banned is just absolute fabrication. They're always lying to you, and you don't even have to take a moderator's/administrator's word for that: just go back and look at whatever their last few posts were, and you'll see the truth for yourself. It's always some hilarious story like "I got banned for liking Vegeta too much; they are the bias for Goku," and you go and look, and it's some crazy racist dude. Like, this isn't hidden information. Just look at the posts.

Salt
The ones that complain the most are the ones who receive the strikes. In the spirit of the curtain being pulled back, it's worth noting that the very person who started this thread likely did so in "retaliation" because a thread was locked (they didn't even receive a strike!!!) when they necroposted in a (dead) two-year-old thread about DBZ Abridged, where they incoherently wrote something that sounded like a child stomping their feet in a temper tantrum all the meanwhile declaring it not necroposting because... reasons...? See again: not hidden information; just look at the posts. It's not the opinions that get you in trouble; it's the behavior (and in this case confusing decision to post in random old threads instead of any variety of current/ongoing ones).

The Old Schemmel Thing
Absolutely with Lance here on this and wondering what some of y'all are even talking about. See again for the third time: not hidden information, just look at the posts. Also please consider: these two dudes were going at it in the middle of the night. No moderation members were available at the time to jump in like we absolutely otherwise would have done to put a stop to it. Thankfully(?), it's all there for posterity now(?).

The Word Filter
My dude that was a decade ago and didn't last long to begin with. It was also really funny.

When It Gets Personal
I'm obviously the most visible member of the administration/moderation team, because I founded everything here back in 1998 and my personal/work life allows me the opportunity to dedicate a little more time to being here (and therefore being visible), so it's understandable that when someone wants to Go Salty, they single me out. That's OK. I've been doing this for 25 years (longer than some of the people complaining have been alive). Y'all can't break me. That all said, there is absolutely a robust moderation team that silently handles a lot of the little things here and there along the way, and we do occasionally have a conversation about "hey you see such and such whatcha wanna do?" There's actually not much of that, because for the most part everyone here is awesome and doesn't require we step in for a lot!

Thread Deletion
No-one's out here deleting your (legitimate) threads. Those accusations are, like many of the other things previously stated, absolutely hilarious and fabricated out of thin air. Sure, threads do get deleted: when the occasional spam bot posts, when someone starts some homophobic rampage thread, etc. etc. etc. If you're complaining about THAT kind of thread getting deleted, you don't have an argument here my friend.

User Bias
Directly addressing the user above (which, hey, again in the spirit of pulling back the curtain, has multiple account strikes for unacceptable behavior themselves! Funny, huh?!): there's nuance to this that you get with age and experience. Sure, a long-standing user that's demonstrated otherwise reasonable demeanor that has a bad day or two or three or even ten is probably going to receive a different kind of moderation than, again, someone who signs up and their literal first post is a racist rampage. This isn't even comparable. That said, we have members of our own moderation team that had account strikes before they became moderators! People grow and change and learn! You can do it, too! I believe in everyone. I believe in multiple chances... provided you've at least introduced yourself as a level-headed, reasonable, thoughtful individual in the first place.

Your Choice
Two things can simultaneously be true: you're under no obligation to post here as part of this community, and we're under no obligation to have you here. That sounds super harsh, but I actually think it's extremely freeing. Go find your niche! You don't have to be a community member here. No-one has a gun to your head over it. Everyone on our staff is absolutely totally fine if you don't like us or don't like how we handle things here. In today's modern internet, you have no shortage of choices for where you can talk about Dragon Ball, and it's seriously, truly, genuinely no sweat off our back if you ultimately decide it's not for you. Why would you want to stick around in a place you don't like? Why do that to yourself?

(You'll still begrudgingly refer back to our website for accurate/sourced information, because of course you will, because there's no better option! :lol: )

Actual Constructive Criticism
That all said, if you're a cool reasonable person and you have something genuinely legitimate and constructive to say and/or suggest? Yeah, man! All ears! Let's hear it! We've probably already thought about it (and maybe have even tested it before), but still: let's go! Some of our best community friends have been folks that approached us with an idea or slant that we hadn't previously considered. I love being challenged on worthwhile, interesting things with a thoughtful, considered approach!

Last Couple Thoughts
Folks, you don't need to be concerned with telling someone who makes an inflammatory post, "Oh no, did you not realize you posted this in the Dragon Ball section and not the website/community section?!" Haha, man, they don't care about that! What are you DOING saying that?! I deeply and truly appreciate how earnest you are, but it's just so funny to read. That all said, yeah, I'll move this over to the "correct"(?!) section of the forum now.

Pretty sure that hits all the major points! Thanks to the awesome people always doing awesome things. It's a true, genuine, I'm-not-lying-to-you joy to read all the new angles and points and topics people bring up every day. I believe in the power of text, of long-form conversation, and of history: this forum is a testament to and legacy of that!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:08 pm

...and thus the discussion ended, as pretty much always, with an anti-climatic, mean-spirited, incredibly patronizing post by VegettoEX. But, that's why I love this forum! :lol: :lol: :lol: