Ideal English Goku Voice?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Re: Ideal English Goku Voice?

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed May 31, 2023 3:35 am

novashibe wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:54 am I think in terms of just, how the voice sounds, the tone, the attitude, etc... MasakoX has it nailed for me. Don't get me wrong, he's playing a version of the character that is incongruent with the actual Goku but even so, I feel transplanting his voice, maybe pitched a teeny bit lower so as to play it less for laughs, on the English script, would yield my favourite English Goku.

Obviously Nozawa is my one and only but we're talking English here. 8)
You mean like in the Goku vs Superman Death Battle?
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

novashibe

Post by novashibe » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:28 am

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:35 am
novashibe wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:54 am I think in terms of just, how the voice sounds, the tone, the attitude, etc... MasakoX has it nailed for me. Don't get me wrong, he's playing a version of the character that is incongruent with the actual Goku but even so, I feel transplanting his voice, maybe pitched a teeny bit lower so as to play it less for laughs, on the English script, would yield my favourite English Goku.

Obviously Nozawa is my one and only but we're talking English here. 8)
You mean like in the Goku vs Superman Death Battle?
I hadn't actually seen that in so long I had to double check, but yeah, something like that. I think his voice when he's a Super Saiyan there is perfect.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:09 pm

T.C. Carson.
8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:26 pmPeter Cullen.
Goku Prime wrote:I am Goku Prime. And I send this message to any surviving Saiyans taking refuge among the stars: Come to Earth, because I want... to fight you.
*cue Linkin Park song*

Anyway, I'm on the team of Dante Basco too. Granted, my reference is Zuko, but I think he has a "soft voice" that may work for Goku. Imagine a storyline where Goku has to regain his honor!
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:28 am

I was actually pretty excited when I heard that Richard Ian Cox would be playing Goku for Ocean Kai. But, we all know how that went...
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:35 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:28 am I was actually pretty excited when I heard that Richard Ian Cox would be playing Goku for Ocean Kai. But, we all know how that went...
It may still happen, the Irish broadcaster RTÉ, when I asked about Ocean Kai had this to say:
Hi,

Many thanks for getting in touch with RTÉ and for your suggestion that we consider acquiring Dragon Ball Z Kai. We'll certainly take a look at the show and will ascertain who has the rights, as very often content is not available to RTÉ as it has been licensed by a competitor, which is often a UK or Global player.

Kind regards
If anyone wants to support my Kai recommendation, you can contact them on info@rte.ie, emphasizing they contact Ocean Studios in Vancouver and not Crunchyroll.

Remember this is the broadcaster who hosted the conclusion of the 4Kids dub of Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters on January 3, 2006, and the world debut of Capsule Monsters on RTÉ2 shortly after, so anime and unseen dubs are not uncharted territory for them.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: