Which countries dubbed the openings and which left it undubbed

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Which countries dubbed the openings and which left it undubbed

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 28, 2023 2:54 pm

I will start with an unusual example: Italy. Italy had 2 dubs of Dragon Ball, one who left the opening untouched but later another dub which didnt use the original openings but rather entirely new ones.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Re: Which countries dubbed the openings and which left it undubbed

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sun May 28, 2023 4:00 pm

That is not precise:
1st dub of the original Dragon Ball left the OP\ED in Japanese
2nd dub ALSO left the OP\ED in Japanese... when it was aired on local networks syndication.
It got a Italian OP(also used for ED) when it started being aired on Italia 1(national network)

Dragon Ball Z, GT and Supernot actually sure about Super all got only Italian OP\EDs

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 28, 2023 4:26 pm

I knew I was going to mess up but I thank you kindly for pointing out the mistake I love learning more.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 28, 2023 4:29 pm

You can correct me if I'm wrong about this, because I'm not from Latin America, but from what I've heard the Intertrack dub kept Makafushigi Adventure, although Brazil apparently had Portuguese dubs of the OPs and EDs for the Rede Globo dub.

Canada has had custom English OPs from day one, the Westwood OP, which was used for all of Z, YTV's Blue Water Dragon Ball OP was a dub of the French OP, while the UK version was an original instrumental, and GT had a shortened dub of Dan Dan Kokoro with revised lyrics. Ocean's dub of Kai has a custom OP, we don't know which one will be used, but its likely not the "fight with courage, fight with honour" track we all know.

I've watched the first two episodes of the Chinese Mandarin dub and can confirm the OP was undubbed. I haven't seen the Taiwanese Mandarin dub, but the same applies from fans I've talked to.

I've been told Croatia aired the series subbed, but Cha-La Head Cha-La used German instrumentals and lyrics translated from the German dub instead of the raw OP track.

Greece, I've heard has their own dub of Makafushigi Adventure, but the Japanese version of We Gotta Power is retained for Freeza arc, and neither applies for later arcs as the Android and Cell stuff used the Latin Spanish Head Cha-La, and the French OP was used for the Boo arc, apparently because the 1995 remix of the French theme was left undubbed.

In Germany, a company called Arts of Toyco handled the localizations of songs for dubs, their boss Andy Knote wasn't impressed by the French custom OP so he asked the channel RTL2 what else was available, received Cha-La Head-Cha-La as well as We Gotta Power and made German versions of them. Dan Dan Kokoro, much like the Croatian sub of the Japanese version had redone instrumentals. Some portions of the series reportedly used the French OP. Makafushigi Adventure was only used for the original Dragon Ball movies. Super and the first 98 episodes of Kai used the Japanese OPs, but Funimation's version of Fight It Out was used for The Final Chapters.

For Hong Kong its been said Dragon Ball Z had a shortened Cantonese OP, in addition to an alternate version of Cha-La-Head-Cha-La with different lyrics (not sure if they were one in the same, hopefully some here who watched the TVB Jade broadcasts can confirm).

Hungary, which received a dub from an unknown studio used the French OPs for Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z but kept the Japanese versions for GT and Super.

Speaking of adaptations of custom OPs, India (and Denmark) had their own covers of the original American Dragon Ball Z intro, we collectively know as Rock the Dragon.

One of the few things we know about Kosovo's dub is that it used the Makafushigi Adventure OP.

Lithuania didn't get dubs of the OPs, likely because they used a lektored version of the Japanese version so there wouldn't be much point. Same goes for Poland, at least for original Dragon Ball, Z and GT. I'm guessing because Kai and Super had dubs that they used dubbed OPs. Romania, similarly didn't have a dub either, so used the Japanese OPs, the only anomaly I'm aware of is an instrumental version of We Gotta Power being used at one point.

I've heard fans ask about an English Cha-La Head Cha-La. The Phillipinnes got one for the Creative Corp Product dub. Said company's dub of original Dragon Ball is lost, but I'd imagine they also dubbed Makafushigi Adventure.

Portugal had their own dubs of the French custom OPs for Dragon Ball and Z, Dan Dan Kokoro received a Portuguese dub with different instrumentals. Chozetsu Dynamic was dubbed, there was also two versions of Limit X Breaker used for episodes 81-104 and 105-131.

Serbia's original dub retained the Japanese OPs, but Z had an instrumental version of the French OP. Conversely the newer dub had their own version of Cha-La Head Cha-La, which contained German instrumentals and was used for the OP and ED.

Sadly Russia's dub of Dragon Ball Z is mostly lost, despite how relatively recent it is, but I don't believe they used a dubbed OP.

The South Korean dubs had their own OPs, but different ones were used for each dub, for example the SBS and Champ versions differed. Path to Power used a shortened instrumental version of Dan Dan Kokoro.

When it comes to Spain the Galician, Valencian and Basque dubs kept Makafushigi Adventure, although the Castillian dub used a shortened version.

Thailand didn't dub the OPs.

Of course the US had custom OPs for the Harmony Gold, BLT, and Saban dubs, Funimation inhouse dub of Z, GT's run on Toonami, but since original Dragon Ball Funimation has almost always done their own covers of the Japanese OPs. Super is where things took an interesting turn, both dubs initially used the Japanese Chozetsu Dynamic, but Funimation later dubbed theirs, Bang Zoom, from the episodes I've seen in full (1-13) didn't dub it, and I haven't heard any reports that they did for the Resurrection F arc.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sun May 28, 2023 5:22 pm

No. Surprisingly enough, Italia Uno retained the Japanese openings and endings for Super. Giorgio Vanni, the singer who performed the three Italian songs for DB/Z/GT, did make one for Super, but it hasn't been used in any capacity because of directives.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 28, 2023 5:24 pm

L'Italia è davvero molto misteriosa

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun May 28, 2023 5:27 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:29 pmGreece, I've heard has their own dub of Makafushigi Adventure, but the Japanese version of We Gotta Power is retained for Freeza arc, and neither applies for later arcs as the Android and Cell stuff used the Latin Spanish Head Cha-La, and the French OP was used for the Boo arc, apparently because the 1995 remix of the French theme was left undubbed.
It was an instrumental version of We Gotta Power.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 28, 2023 6:07 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:27 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:29 pmGreece, I've heard has their own dub of Makafushigi Adventure, but the Japanese version of We Gotta Power is retained for Freeza arc, and neither applies for later arcs as the Android and Cell stuff used the Latin Spanish Head Cha-La, and the French OP was used for the Boo arc, apparently because the 1995 remix of the French theme was left undubbed.
It was an instrumental version of We Gotta Power.
Thanks, as I say I've not seen most of these dubs or lived through their broadcasts so I appreciate any amendments or corrections fans in the know can offer.

This is a great thread Cure Dragon 255, this info is scattered throughout Kanzenshuu but nice to have one thread for all.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 28, 2023 7:19 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:29 pm You can correct me if I'm wrong about this, because I'm not from Latin America, but from what I've heard the Intertrack dub kept Makafushigi Adventure
Looks like they dubbed it

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TCvpQeThAJM&feature=share7

On a completely unrelated note the Italian dub opening of Z is kind of awesome? Wish Funimation had taken notes when they decided to drop Head Cha La

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ozKql_qd8E4&feature=share7

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Sun May 28, 2023 7:39 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:29 pm You can correct me if I'm wrong about this, because I'm not from Latin America, but from what I've heard the Intertrack dub kept Makafushigi Adventure, although Brazil apparently had Portuguese dubs of the OPs and EDs for the Rede Globo dub.
Intertrack dubbed all the openings of OG, Z and GT with their original instrumentals.

They also dubbed the DB ending and the two Z endings but for GT they only dubbed the first one.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun May 28, 2023 8:07 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:29 pm I've been told Croatia aired the series subbed, but Cha-La Head Cha-La used German instrumentals and lyrics translated from the German dub instead of the raw OP track.
There's a mix up there. The version you're talking about is the Croatian dub of Z on RTL Televizija (2011) which, indeed, used the German dub as source.

The Croatian subbed airing on Nova (2002) never went beyond the episode 50 of the original DB series:
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.fan.dra ... zsRG02lnIJ
Hungary, which received a dub from an unknown studio used the French OPs for Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z but kept the Japanese versions for GT and Super.
Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z were both dubbed by Echo Szinkron Kft, a studio which went out of business in 2001:
http://iszdb.hu/?audio=22496
Sadly Russia's dub of Dragon Ball Z is mostly lost, despite how relatively recent it is, but I don't believe they used a dubbed OP.
I can confirm you that it wasn't dubbed. The video quality was crap though.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon May 29, 2023 5:42 am

I can talk about Poland a bit.

Since we didn't have any actual dub (except for Z movies 12&13) until DBS, we obviously never had polish versions of songs, BUT since DB and DBZ were aired with french dub and polish lector, we actually did have dubbed openings for these two...dubbed in french that is :lol: Funnily (and luckily) we had original GT opening. GT was weird as first half of it aired with french dub just like DB/Z, but second half was in japanese for some reason.

Years later we got Kai and GT again, both with lector once again but with japanese dub this time and both had original openings.

Now we finally have official dub, for DBS and Kai (airing right now), but both have original openings. Too bad, cause i'd like to hear polish versions of these songs.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta