Why did Freeza take himself so seriously as an "emperor"?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Why did Freeza take himself so seriously as an "emperor"?

Post by peterx » Mon May 29, 2023 8:46 pm

With that much power compared to everyone else at that time, this just doesn't make sense why having a trouble to run a huge Empire and tedious day-to-day tasks with it?

He could just chill somewhere in the galaxy maybe conquer the "best and greatest planet" for home and have zero problems after that since no one can do harm to him in the universe (at that time).

I know the answer, it's for story purposes but is there an "in-universe" expanation too or it's just Freeza psyche to be an evil multiplanetary emperor? :lol:

Even what was his end goal? Let's see he gets immortality and then to do this boring job for eternity?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Why did Freeza take himself so seriously as an "emperor"?

Post by Yuji » Tue May 30, 2023 6:29 am

Because he's a narcissistic sadist. He sees everyone as beneath him and wants to see them suffer. Where's the fun in living alone for all eternity waiting for someone to eventually pick a fight with him?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 30, 2023 10:42 am

The wealthy are not known for their intelligence and making sense. Freeza wants what Freeza wants because he's a greedy, evil sack of shit who always has to be the biggest and best and make sure that you, the poor dumb peasant, know it. It's fake, because everything about the wealthy and their wealth is fake.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Wed May 31, 2023 5:42 am

Freeza is a sadist who wants to be at the top of everyone and the whole universe and ideally make them suffer as much as possible.
He is entirely, sickeningly twisted and wants everything under his boot and exactly the way he wants it.
Being an emperor naturally let's him to fulfill these roles.

While a normal person would probably chill somewhere in the universe minding his own business ocassioally picking up a fight, Freeza is not interested in such a life.

It's funny, while writing that I just imagined if Frieza was not as narcissistic as he is, he would probably be more Beerus like.

And off course, outside of the story, we all know Toryiama made him to be pure evil for evil sake and we know from what he designed him to be.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Wed May 31, 2023 7:29 am

Thank you everyone for the answers! :)

Just tought in Freeza's case there was his family too, especially his faters ambition to rule.. Is it in Freeza's race genes to be this evil a*hole or it's just his upbringing? Would he have been different with "good" parents?

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:09 pm

peterx wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:29 am Thank you everyone for the answers! :)

Just tought in Freeza's case there was his family too, especially his faters ambition to rule.. Is it in Freeza's race genes to be this evil a*hole or it's just his upbringing? Would he have been different with "good" parents?
If Xenoverse, and even Toriyama's interview, is anything to go by... Then it's not (just) a matter of race. The Cold family are all mutants, and that mutation manifested in awesome power and immense cruelty.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:18 pm

GokuHater wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:42 am Freeza is a sadist who wants to be at the top of everyone and the whole universe and ideally make them suffer as much as possible.
He is entirely, sickeningly twisted and wants everything under his boot and exactly the way he wants it.

While a normal person would probably chill somewhere in the universe minding his own business ocassioally picking up a fight, Freeza is not interested in such a life.

It's funny, while writing that I just imagined if Frieza was not as narcissistic as he is, he would probably be more Beerus like.

And off course, outside of the story, we all know Toryiama made him to be pure evil for evil sake and we know from what he designed him to be.
Which is kind of why I hate that Super has him as a "reluctant ally." Freeza is a hate sink: he is all the worst traits in people and then some. Gleefully murders and commits genocide simply because he can. There is no redeeming him. It's why I, despite everything I hated about the last Super arc, I absolutely loved him "Black entrance." It felt like a return to form.

Unfortunately, the further we get from that chapter. The more likely that the story will eventually make Freeza's transformation inconsequential.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:08 am

kemuri07 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:18 pm
GokuHater wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:42 am Freeza is a sadist who wants to be at the top of everyone and the whole universe and ideally make them suffer as much as possible.

Which is kind of why I hate that Super has him as a "reluctant ally." Freeza is a hate sink: he is all the worst traits in people and then some. Gleefully murders and commits genocide simply because he can. There is no redeeming him. It's why I, despite everything I hated about the last Super arc, I absolutely loved him "Black entrance." It felt like a return to form.

Unfortunately, the further we get from that chapter. The more likely that the story will eventually make Freeza's transformation inconsequential.
I'm not sure he is an "ally" at all. Just plotting things from behind to overthrow Beerus and Zeno, to be the top dog again.. Freeza is not just a simple cruel villain but the master of deception too. That's what makes him a whole another level of evil :lol:

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:08 am

Being evil is a choice, imo. Unless you really have no control over yourself due to pathological problems or because of your creation like Kid Buu for example (which isn't the case for Freeza) then it is a personal choice. Every being with a conscious and a free will can learn from their mistakes at some point, they can do good or bad if they want. Some of them will do more good than bad and vice versa. If deep down you want to be bad then you will be bad, even if you have good parents/friends or not. Your true intentions are more important than your actions because everyone can make mistakes, but your mistakes won't make you a bad person deep down, you will eventually learn and do your best to improve and redeem yourself if you truly want to do good.

Freeza knows that he is a jerk, but he loves it. That's his choice. So, the guy is mostly evil because he likes being evil, just like someone who is good and likes being good.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:28 am

Scientist Fu wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:08 am

Being evil is a choice, imo. Unless you really have no control over yourself due to pathological problems or because of your creation like Kid Buu for example (which isn't the case for Freeza) then it is a personal choice. Every being with a conscious and a free will can learn from their mistakes at some point, they can do good or bad if they want. Some of them will do more good than bad and vice versa. If deep down you want to be bad then you will be bad, even if you have good parents/friends or not. Your true intentions are more important than your actions because everyone can make mistakes, but your mistakes won't make you a bad person deep down, you will eventually learn and do your best to improve and redeem yourself if you truly want to do good.

Freeza knows that he is a jerk, but he loves it. That's his choice. So, the guy is mostly evil because he likes being evil, just like someone who is good and likes being good.
Good explanation!

Now here comes the question why did Freeza wanted to be "this" bad? For example if you were a weak being and got the chance to rule through fear to hide your shortcomings from the public (like many other leaders in our world) then that would explain this extreme cruelty. But not in Freeza's case.. he really had no need to be this bad, simply just kill your faaar weaker enemy, but absolute no need to torture to assert your dominance.. everyone knows already you are the top dog.. yet Freeza did it and even enjoyed it. Only kids does this, somehow he seems like a 150 year old immature child..

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:04 am

peterx wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:28 am
Scientist Fu wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:08 am

Good explanation!

Now here comes the question why did Freeza wanted to be "this" bad? For example if you were a weak being and got the chance to rule through fear to hide your shortcomings from the public (like many other leaders in our world) then that would explain this extreme cruelty. But not in Freeza's case.. he really had no need to be this bad, simply just kill your faaar weaker enemy, but absolute no need to torture to assert your dominance.. everyone knows already you are the top dog.. yet Freeza did it and even enjoyed it. Only kids does this, somehow he seems like a 150 year old immature child..
Like I said it is a personal choice, it has nothing to do with "need"... you can't really find a reasonable explanation for his actions or his morality. It's like a killer who enjoys killing and consciously knows it's bad, but he still does it because he finds excitement in it. These kind of beings are considered purely/mostly negative or purely/mostly evil, that's the whole point of the word "evil". Being more evil or less evil will depend on many different things. In Freeza's case, he simply enjoys doing what he is doing. He is not just torturing people to assert his dominance, he is torturing people because he likes it, like an artist who likes painting. Trying to find a logical explanation in evil is meaningless because evil has no meaning outside of being evil that sentence makes no sense at all lol... but yeah, I hope you get my point... when somebody enjoys something and has the intention to do something then he will do it, if the circumstances allow it. Like for example, if I have the intention to help someone today and I have the chance to do it then I will do it and it is same for someone who has bad intentions, if that person has the intention to hurt someone today and he gets the chance then he will do it. It's all about your intentions and if you get the opportunity to do what you intended to do.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:18 am

I see.. you are right :)

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:19 pm

peterx wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:08 am

I'm not sure he is an "ally" at all. Just plotting things from behind to overthrow Beerus and Zeno, to be the top dog again.. Freeza is not just a simple cruel villain but the master of deception too. That's what makes him a whole another level of evil :lol:
I like this as well, and his depiction in DBS gives more depth to his character. He is not a 2D character, a black and white, one-note fella, he has grey areas, he can kneel down and wait for his turn.
He's smart basically, he's shown growth, he learned from his mistakes back in the pre-android saga of being overly impulsive. Too bad we now see his evolved persona every 3 years.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:19 am

Well the thing is, the higher the rank a person has, the bigger the target on their back becomes. Being the ruler of most of the universe I’m sure comes with a lot of pressure, so having a stern approach to your position is the best bet to make sure everyone falls in line. Granted people are going to try to usurp or bring you down regardless, see Vegeta.

Hell Beerus has a higher rank than Freeza and he’s not even safe from people trying to take him out like that one alien dude who poisoned his food and even Freeza himself has sorta plotted on taking him down as well.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:21 am

Actually while I was a kid, watching DB for the first time, I thought is there any way Frieza could ever be redeemed Piccolo or Vegeta style.

I found that unlikely and many years later, when learning a bit about DB lore, it made me even more sure of it. Frieza is an unredeemable monster.

His inclusion in ToP I find enjoyable just because I like what they did to the character but I also understand your point - that they made what was an ultimate evil into an ally.

At this point I am glad that they didn't make him a "friend" after all. Apart from joingin our heroes in ToP he was still evil in Broly and a sadist in Granolah.