How is "Ossu! Ora Goku!" translated in your language?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

How is "Ossu! Ora Goku!" translated in your language?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:35 pm

In my dub its "Hola soy Goku."
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

bkev
I Live Here

Re: How is "Ossu! Ora Goku!" translated in your language?

Post by bkev » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:11 pm

I think it was a one-off, but I always liked "Hey, everyone! Goku here!" in the first Budokai game. Had that great "come along with us!" adventure-y feel that Dragonball deserves.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:26 pm

I think Funimation settled on "Hey it's me! Goku!" but I am going to wait till someone from the USA tells me.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:50 pm

That's what went into Kai's NEPs, all right. I never thought it had quite the right ring to it.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Y2_O3

Post by Y2_O3 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:41 am

I know that ora is a self-proclaimed dialect and slang in Japanese, and there is indeed a corresponding regional dialect in my language, but it is rare to see this word translated as a dialect.
In most cases, this word is still translated as the most common 'I'. This is because we cannot translate all the dialogues in Dragon Ball into a certain dialect in our own region, which is not conducive to people from other regions reading it.
However, I really want to translate the characteristics of the word ora, which makes me a bit conflicted...
Don't look at people through a scouter.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:55 am

I meant mostly in dubs not how would the language translate it across accurately.

GatoF
Beyond Newbie

Post by GatoF » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:37 am

Oi! Eu sou o Goku!

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:57 am

Funimation has it as "Hey it's me Goku"..
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:42 am

With the first 2 series not having the previews dubbed and the GT previews being freestyled the by the narrator, there was not a consistent go-to for that phrase in the Portuguese dub. Sometimes you'd get "Sou o Son Goku!" (I'm Son Goku!) or "O meu nome é Son Goku." (My name's Son Goku.) but nothing that's actually stick.

There is one scene in Z though that I'd like to think inspired the Super dub writers where Goku is saying goodbye to everyone after Gohan killed Cell. When addressing everyone he says "Sou eu, o Son Goku" (It's me, Son Goku) in a very endearing way that always stuck with me.

Since Super it's been "Olá, sou eu! O Son Goku!" which is pretty much "Hey it's me! Goku!".
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:36 am

bkev wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:50 pm That's what went into Kai's NEPs, all right. I never thought it had quite the right ring to it.
Maybe because it’s been done to death in memes, but same here. I remember in the Z dub there was “Hey this is Goku” in the previews sometimes. It was strange, sometimes they’d have Goku narrate it and sometimes it was the narrator.