What colour would you like the next SSJ transformation to have?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: What colour would you like the next SSJ transformation to have?

Post by Skar » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:56 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:19 pmExcept Dragon Ball is never going to go away forever. We might get a break for a little while but that has clearly not lasted for long, as evidenced by the fact that Dragon Ball suddenly returned after fifteen years to give Gokuu a new form, then a new form two years after that.
Well you could say the same about every revival but that doesn't guarantee forever. Maybe they attempt to revive the series again in another +15 years but there's still going to be a final form in Super when it ends. Goku had three main transformations in Z and three in Super. It's been five years since UI was introduced and only new form for Goku was a variation of UI in the manga. We're still a few years away from the next film and that would make it seven or eight years by then.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:52 am

None, we have more than enough recolors as it is. But if I have to choose, I guess green.

Then like someone said earlier, we would have the full team of Mighty Morphin Goku Rangers

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:58 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:05 pm
ATA wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:55 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:17 pm Who cares if they keep introducing more transformations? They can literally do both transformations and battle strategies. Tomioka Atsuhiro proved as much when Super Saiyan Blue Gokuu was fighting Jiren in Dragon Ball Super Episode #123. They should do both so that we can get both.

I prefer a less is more approach when it comes to transformations. Too many Saiyan transformations in my opinion. I enjoyed Piccolo's new forms because it's a breath of fresh air. Beast Gohan is a rehash, Blue is just DBS's Super Saiyan minus everything that made Super Saiyan cool, Blue Evolution is a rehash, Whatever Trunks transformed into during the Black arc was.... awkward, Ultra instinct is a clusterfuck as of lately despite being cool in ToP, Ultra Ego is cool in concept but execution didn't meet expectations, and I think the Red God form is cool for what is was 10 years ago.

I would've been fine with transformations if they were more thought out (granted this is a kids show). But it's honestly lost it's flair a long time ago stu. Something I will credit them with is giving Beast Gohan and UI Goku iconic moments. Blue had lor(little) to no momentum since it's debut. I think Goku getting shot from that Lazer beam left a bad taste in people's mouths and kinda devalued Blue before Blue had time to build respect. We've seen SSJ drag, We've seen SSJ2 drag, We've seen SSJ3 drag, and so on. Unless you count Kaioken Blue...I don't believe Blue ever had a "I'M HIM" moment. Hell ToP even ended with SSJ Goku rather than Blue Goku. I don't think that wasn't a business decision.

Having transformations is fine if they leave an impact and to me they have not. So I would prefer if Dragon Ball didn't add new forms for the sake of having them. I'll rather see new ki attacks than transformations.
I'm not exactly arguing for transformations to not be framed around character work (Dragon Ball in general needs to stop being so trigger shy about Doing the Work, as it were), either. I just think the argument of less of one for the sake of another is a weird one to make.

Be careful with that weird word stu. I'm not seeing how it's weird to ask for transformations to be more impactful and to have better presentation. At the moment DragonBall is almost self-sterotyping with the new transformations. I am happy we're finally giving characters they own unique form. Dragon Ball sells with or without new transformations. As previous mentions it's a kids show that uses transformations, fusions, and more to sell merchandise which is fine as money talk. But as a fan I could've lived with Dragon Ball not being in recolor hell or rehash hell. I believe Skar is right. Things could always change but UI, UE, Beast, Orange Piccolo, and whatever they have planned for Broly is most likely the endgame for now. Despite the manga showing UI isn't perfect, UI seems to be Goku's last resort and his "Avatar" state. It hasn't even appeared in an anime film yet as well. We even have Dragon Ball Heroes for the more wonky transformations. I don't mind them there because Heroes isn't to be taken seriously.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:49 pm

ATA wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:58 amThings could always change but UI, UE, Beast, Orange Piccolo, and whatever they have planned for Broly is most likely the endgame for now. Despite the manga showing UI isn't perfect, UI seems to be Goku's last resort and his "Avatar" state. It hasn't even appeared in an anime film yet as well. We even have Dragon Ball Heroes for the more wonky transformations. I don't mind them there because Heroes isn't to be taken seriously.
I also think UI is a fitting ending since it had the longest buildup for a transformation. They likely didn't plan when it will appear or how it'll look but it was first hinted at in RoF and something Beerus hasn't mastered yet. All of DBS has been Goku catching up to Beerus since losing to him in BoG. It's probably why Beerus' power seems to keep getting retconned since they might have any plans once Goku surpasses him before it transitions to EoZ and Goku retires to train Uub.

I'm not sure what will happen with UE since I think it was Toyotaro's idea. EoZ implied Vegeta is still weaker than Goku so maybe it's a way for Vegeta to also surpass Beerus while still being below Goku's highest form. Beast Gohan and Orange Piccolo were probably one time fan service since Gohan hasn't had a new form since the Buu saga and Nameks never had one aside from changing their size. In EoZ, they weren't interested in participating in the final tournament so maybe those new forms are temporary and lose them within the remaining year. I'm definitely waiting to see what happens when the series reaches EoZ before expecting anything else.