What is this "Green Tint" I keep hearing about, and when did Toei begin using/having it?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

What is this "Green Tint" I keep hearing about, and when did Toei begin using/having it?

Post by DB1984 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:26 am

Title says it all.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: What is this "Green Tint" I keep hearing about, and when did Toei begin usising it?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:17 am

I really saw the idea of the "green tint" appear when Toei released the Boo arc of Kai.

Now, I don't recall what I was comparing it to (probably the orange bricks and original Funimation Blu-ray release), but Kai is the third one with the green tint:
And then, there was Toei's release of the movies.
Though, to be honest, they did this even during their Dragon Box days. You can see it in that last screenshot. But I guess the pink tint was more noticeable than the green one on the Dragon Boxes. Also, it just looks ugly on Blu-ray. I'm nowhere near a video expert, nor do I know what the original colors should have been, but the green tint hit me hard the second I popped in the Kai and movies Blu-rays.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What is this "Green Tint" I keep hearing about, and when did Toei begin usising it?

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:38 am

I don't remember the exact details but it's an error with the way they're either calibrating their screens or exporting their files and Toei is being headasses and claiming there is no problem even after it was brought to their attention, despite the fact that the home video/streaming releases look different from the broadcasts and theatrical versions.

So incompetence, basically. Manga Entertainment has actually fixed it in their UK releases of Broly and Super Hero after AnimeAjay brought it to their attention, but Funimation just uses whatever material Toei gives them and calls it a day (a humorous contrast from the days they use to pump up the saturation on the DBZ singles lmao :lol: )

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:17 am I really saw the idea of the "green tint" appear when Toei released the Boo arc of Kai.

Now, I don't recall what I was comparing it to (probably the orange bricks and original Funimation Blu-ray release), but Kai is the third one with the green tint:
Though, to be honest, they did this even during their Dragon Box days. You can see it in that last screenshot. But I guess the pink tint was more noticeable than the green one on the Dragon Boxes. Also, it just looks ugly on Blu-ray. I'm nowhere near a video expert, nor do I know what the original colors should have been, but the green tint hit me hard the second I popped in the Kai and movies Blu-rays.
The Dragon Box was just the result of them not doing any color correction and depended on the condition of the film. Some were more pink, some were more green.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:57 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:38 am
The Dragon Box was just the result of them not doing any color correction and depended on the condition of the film. Some were more pink, some were more green.
I was under the impression that Toei did touch up the colors on the Dragon Boxes, which is why they look significantly different than the original broadcast.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:12 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:57 am
I was under the impression that Toei did touch up the colors on the Dragon Boxes, which is why they look significantly different than the original broadcast.
Thing is, the miscoloration on the DBox isn't consistent at all. Some episodes are overly green, others blue, others still yellow... Some are too bright, others too dark...
Meanwhile stuff from Kai on is consistently green. And the same amount of green, too.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:48 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:12 pm
Thing is, the miscoloration on the DBox isn't consistent at all. Some episodes are overly green, others blue, others still yellow... Some are too bright, others too dark...
Meanwhile stuff from Kai on is consistently green. And the same amount of green, too.
Yeah, that's true. It's not even something I can tune out. When watching the Dragon Boxes or even Funimation's releases, they look weird at first, but I can get used to the colors pretty quickly. I can't seem to do that with the movies or Kai 2.0.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:40 pm

So I take it the only option is to find green tint-free copies of the Battle of Gods, Revival of "F", Broly, and Super Hero, with green tint-free Kai 2.0 being out of the question, right?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:55 pm

You are not going to find a green-tint-free version of "Kai 2.0" unless someone color corrects it (if possible). Truthfully, I never noticed a green tint on Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, or the Broly movies. I know people have said that Broly had it, but I never noticed it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:46 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:38 amSo incompetence, basically. Manga Entertainment has actually fixed it in their UK releases of Broly and Super Hero after AnimeAjay brought it to their attention, but Funimation just uses whatever material Toei gives them and calls it a day (a humorous contrast from the days they use to pump up the saturation on the DBZ singles lmao :lol: )
Manga UK did go their own way with Broly by acquiring the masters from TOEI and hiring Visual Data in London to author their Blu-Ray, but it remains to be seen whether the same will apply for Super Hero, which will be released this Monday. I spoke to someone at the company, which is now known as Crunchyroll and alerted him to the green tint issue. He said they may be stuck with the tinted version if its on the Japanese Blu-Ray but if they can get it fixed they will. From what Ajay has said there may never be a tintless home video master of Super Hero because TOEI mistakenly baked in the incorrect white point, which is evident because the TOEI splash screen is green while the rest of the movie isn't. Suffice to say I've heard reports from fans that own the US Blu-Ray and they don't notice the green tint, so unless your a hardcore cinephile it may not be a dealbreaker. I haven't watched the US Broly Blu-Ray so can't confirm, but I've watched Kai The Final Chapters and I rarely see the green tint. I've found it only really noticeable during scenes with the Super Saiyan aura and such, so your mileage may vary, I'm probably more forgiving than a lot of fans but I'm also not a video expert.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:16 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:57 am
No, they didn't do anything to it. They used the original 16mm negatives, and despite the superior detail the colors on negatives degrade much faster than the film masters Funimation and other companies are given. The overly pink hues and such are pretty consistent with old film.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:05 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:16 am
No, they didn't do anything to it. They used the original 16mm negatives, and despite the superior detail the colors on negatives degrade much faster than the film masters Funimation and other companies are given. The overly pink hues and such are pretty consistent with old film.
Oh, thanks for clarifying! After all this time, I learned something new. So I guess they just cleaned up the film?

DB1984
Banned

Re: What is this "Green Tint" I keep hearing about, and when did Toei begin using/having it?

Post by DB1984 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:50 am

Yeah, the Dragon Boxes aren't perfect, but the Green Tint issue isn't one of the problems, for it didn't even exist yet.

What I'd like to know is, who was the genius at Toei who thought a Green Tint was a good idea, and did he ever get fired for that?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:44 pm

Manga Entertainment has actually fixed it in their UK releases of Broly and Super Hero
TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:17 am
I really saw the idea of the "green tint" appear when Toei released the Boo arc of Kai.

Really? On Super Hero too ?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: What is this "Green Tint" I keep hearing about, and when did Toei begin using/having it?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:00 pm

As has already been described:

The discoloration on the Dragon Box footage is an independent issue of what later occurs with the current-day movies, and is the natural result of deterioration/discoloration with (actual, physical, tangible, old-school) film, combined with either the low-effort or non-existent color correction (either manual or automatic) done by the rights-holders with this footage on later home video releases.

(Please note that I'm no expert in this realm, but this is absolutely enough of an accurate layman's description to get the idea across:)

The green tint present specifically on certain home video releases of Dragon Ball Super: Broly (namely the American release; it wasn't present in the Japanese release, and Manga UK corrected it for theirs) and Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (all releases, Japanese included) is because of a misconfiguration originally intended for the color space / brightness / broadcast / projection within a theatrical setting vs. that of a home video release. This has been effectively proven and showcased directly back to Toei (here's a good tweet I remember making the rounds), whose response is that... there's no issue here.

I'm not personally sure if the Kai: Final Chapters green tint is an early predecessor to the theatrical misconfiguration error (seems unlikely, since it wasn't ever intended for theatrical screenings), or a general, compounded problem with Toei taking the remastering in-house themselves (the first few arcs were done by Q-TEC) and just not being up to the task.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::