Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by theherodjl » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:53 am

Does anyone else think that DBS contributed to the decline of DBM? Because it really feels like DBM had a more optimistic & ambitious tone to it prior to DB making an official comeback and then afterwards, there was a noticeable shift in the the story's quality & pacing. Or is it just me thinking that?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

The Bastard.
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Bastard. » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:46 am

theherodjl wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:53 am Does anyone else think that DBS contributed to the decline of DBM? Because it really feels like DBM had a more optimistic & ambitious tone to it prior to DB making an official comeback and then afterwards, there was a noticeable shift in the the story's quality & pacing. Or is it just me thinking that?
I think Super, especially Battle of gods, Broly and the manga just does things so much better than what DBM ever achieved.

The moment DBM stopped being about cool fights and what ifs ( look at marvel What If for what DBM should be) and started being about overpowered OCs that are badly written it started going downhill very fast.

Couple those awful chapters, shitty translation due to author stubborness, everything Bra related, Majin Rebellion, the wild retcon of basic DB tropes, Goku always surpassing his old self though training for example, but hitting a ceiling in DBM, just because the author thinks it's right, something completely against the source material and to make her waifu the protag, and the not even glacial, but tectonic plates pacing just killed whatever momentum it had.

People might joke about Sayajin colors in super, but it's honestly more exciting and more fun than anything DBM put out after Broly's fight, and it's a stark contrast of Toryiama talent compared to salagir when it comes to writing.

Hell, just some comparisons, Beers and Whis are incredibly charismatic and they fit Toryiama style of introducing new and different species all the time, a trend since DB with Namekians, then Sayajins, then Androids and magic beings from somewhere, Kai's, he always liked to introduce something new and fun that while humanoid in shape are clearly different species, all very charismatic.

Meanwhile Salagir introduces Gast, charisma of a plank, Bra which is a charisma black hole sucking the fun of every character she interacts with, and the humans with exo suits which is just incredibly boring! Not a single new race, the few OCs are extremely boring and devoid of anything interesting.

Broly from Super is another character that is so funny and full of life!

Salagir can't write anything original to save his life, and when he decided that his waifu would be the center of attention everything goes to shit.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:13 am

The time it took to get this out is its only real problem. Even with things like Majin Bra and Vegito's character assassination had we saw Vegeta new form and the close of the tournament by now things we be more favorable.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:23 am

theherodjl wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:53 am Does anyone else think that DBS contributed to the decline of DBM? Because it really feels like DBM had a more optimistic & ambitious tone to it prior to DB making an official comeback and then afterwards, there was a noticeable shift in the the story's quality & pacing. Or is it just me thinking that?
I guess that would apply more to fans who treat DBM as the only fan comic. The DBM staff worked on other fan comics including some involving DBS. They encouraged fans to read others and only intended for DBM to be one of many for fans to choose from if they interested.

Usually a fan comic has a bigger audience after it ends because more people rather bingeread than wait to read by page over the course of a few years. In the compilation thread, most of the stories were discovered and added after they've ended (or canceled) so it's a short list of ongoing stories. YouTube narrators like Mondocool helped old fan comics gain a new younger audience and some of his most watched videos are for those old comics like AF, DBM, and Sai.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:42 pm

Part of what hurt, probably, was their insistence on NOTHING post DBZ, yet random humans with exo suits are okay....

Other than the very brief Beerus and Whis cameo at least.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:22 pm

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:22 am

You know that DBM is product of a bygone era when Vegito and Super Buu where still consider to be the strongest characters from Toriyama. Freeza being weaker than normal SSj Goku still feels surreal to me now.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:25 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:22 am You know that DBM is product of a bygone era when Vegito and Super Buu where still consider to be the strongest characters from Toriyama. Freeza being weaker than normal SSj Goku still feels surreal to me now.
I do wonder how powerful DBM Buu is though, the universe's strongest fighters absorbed and he has reality bending powers too?

He's probably the most OP fighter in DBM

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:41 pm

If I had to pick my favorite specials in DBM, it would be one for Gas (the first one), and the one for Super Buu. Zen's Buu story does feel plausible if Super Buu won. He won't destroy the Earth knowing that no one is a threat to him, and the Dragon Balls can't remove the fighters out of his body because Shenlong would need his consent to do so.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:41 am

The last chapter I can say that I personally felt genuine hype about was the Vegeta vs Raichi fight but after that, I think that's when the decline in quality began. The "jump the shark" moment though was definitely the Majin Rebellion arc. At this point, I'm only reading now to see the conclusion, whether it's good or bad. It probably is leaning more towards "bad" with how things have been written this past couple years but I'd take that as opposed to the comic just being cancelled. Nobody likes a bad, unfinished fanfic.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:18 pm

What's the actual purpose of these last pages? I always thought these Specials were strict stories from the Universes they wanted to depict, not thoughs and interactions in the actual tournament that could be done in the main story. At this point, Salagir is just lost.

theherodjl wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:53 am Does anyone else think that DBS contributed to the decline of DBM?
Yes, but I also think DBM had contributed for some concepts in DBS as well.

Until someone proves me otherwise, this was a reference to DBS. We could even theorize that the concept of Multiverses could have taken inspirations on DBM as well.

Sure these could be all coincidences, but I like to think this fanmanga series was relevant enough to drag attention from the official media.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:10 am

Future Trunks is one of my favorite characters, in fiction in general. Its a freakin' miracle when I come across his fanfics, period. But after a literal decade (since I came across DBM), worse fillers than Garlic Jr., and a worse attention span than Super Goku, its hard to be excited at this. Especially since we know he decides to leave at the end of the last match.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:00 pm

It's a shame we barely got any grudge matches done, come to think of it. There have been some great matches, but all those Namekians and Saiyans that signed up only to drop out and it wasn't until post Broly / Vegito that things actually started to pick up. I wonder if Saligir was to do it all again, he'd have everything at the top 16, and make some specials preliminary battles, then those 16 or in the prelims, we could have gotten more special matches.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:12 pm

(cameos getting a bit ridiculous at this point but it is what it is, I suppose)

That child being birthed during Majin Bra's rampage would have been the best anime subversion DBM could have done, and probably the best moment.

goku1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by goku1234 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:01 pm

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:51 pm

So this "arc" is really just the intro all over again, but from Future Trunks POV.

goku1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by goku1234 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:00 pm

goku1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by goku1234 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:39 pm

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:46 am

I binge read most of this. So early parts I have honestly forgotten. I think multiverse is fun. But why does everyone hate the big Majin massacre?

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:03 am

Peril wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:46 am I binge read most of this. So early parts I have honestly forgotten. I think multiverse is fun. But why does everyone hate the big Majin massacre?
I can't speak for everyone else, but to give a summary of my issues:

1) Bra came into the story as a self absorbed elitist, and the more we learned of her, the more it became clear this is a villain origin story.

2) DBM didn't have the finesse nor the maturity to make that slaughter palatable from beginning to end. Believe it or not, even slasher flicks have a certain way to go about things so the viewer is still willing to go along with things. Hope is an undercurrent that without, well who gives a fuck?

3) Then the aftermath, where just about everyone forgives Bra way too fucking easily, except Vegetto, who's though also generally unstable, is now being re-written to be Bra's bogeyman, throwing out every scene before the Majin fight into question and Pan, who's gaslit to show Bra isn't a monster who she should at least keep one eye on for the rest of her life "Hey, remember when Bra was Great Saiyaman 3? Hey remember how she clearly lost a bet and ended up in a bunny costume? Good times, forgive her!"