Kessen! Saraba Torankusu
The Decisive Battle! Farewell, Trunks
|Released:||02 March 2018 (Print)
02 March 2018 (Digital)
|Retail:||¥400 + tax|
|Size / Pages:||New Book Format (11 × 17 cm) / 192 pages|
Dust Jacket & Obi
The fifth volume’s dust jacket features an illustration by Toyotarō with Super Saiyan Blue Son Goku attacking Merged Zamasu, while Vegeta, Trunks, and Mai chase after in a truck below. Gowasu and Shin, also chasing after them on a motorbike, are featured on the back cover.
The main cover artwork is sourced from a composition originally created for a bonus poster included with the January 2017 issue of Saikyō Jump (released 02 December 2017):
The included obi promotes the monthly release of Shueisha’s V-Jump magazine (where the Dragon Ball Super manga is serialized), along with the on-going Dragon Ball Super television series’ weekly broadcast each Sunday, at the time still airing (though that month heading toward the competition of) the “Universe Survival arc”.
Volume Introduction by Toyotarō
Sensei… I guess that’s what separates geniuses from ordinary joes… I’m working hard to bridge that gap even by an inch!
The title for the collected volume — 決戦！さらばトランクス (Kessen! Saraba Torankusu or “The Decisive Battle! Farewell, Trunks”) — is taken directly from the twenty-sixth chapter‘s title.
The volume’s standard front cover is a desaturated version of the dust jacket’s front cover, while the back cover is a complementary, new illustration present-day Trunks rushing in against Whis while the Pilaf trio likewise charge in below and Beerus watches on in surprise.
The inside title page showcases a broken photo of the future characters alongside the volume’s title and two author credits.
To fill out the necessary page count, Toyotarō supplies new drawings between chapters. In one drawing, Pilaf works on a time machine of his own, proclaiming that he will save his future self, and next time starts the “Future Pilaf arc”!
No bonus interviews or author spotlights are included, with the two-page Jump Victory Carnival 2017 bonus chapter concluding the volume.
- The four chapters presented in this volume were originally serialized in the August 2017 through November 2017 issues of Shueisha’s V-Jump magazine on a monthly basis.
- Chapter 25: Will It Be Goku!? Or Zamasu!?
- Chapter 26: The Decisive Battle! Farewell, Trunks
- Chapter 27: Training and Everyday Life, and…
- Chapter 28: The 12 Gods of Destruction
- Additional Content
- These items are not listed in the volume’s table of contents; we have independently documented them here.
- Special Manga (Jump Victory Carnival 2017 Attendee Booklet Comic – “Extra Edition“)
This collected volume has seen various international and translated releases:
Volume Changes & Adaptation Mistakes
- Unlike the previous release, the fifth volume does not contain any extended chapters or obvious page reconstructions.
As with most Dragon Ball products released, Akira Toriyama received an “Original Author” (原作 or gensaku) credit indicating his work and authorship of the original Dragon Ball series. Toyotarō is credited for the comic itself (漫画 or manga), stylized here as “Toyotarou”.
Shueisha Co., Ltd.
Master Printing Plates
COSMO GRAPHIC Co. Ltd.
Toppan Printing Co., Ltd.