Forums just as good as Kanzenshuu?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarCas92
Regular

Forums just as good as Kanzenshuu?

Post by MarCas92 » Fri May 22, 2015 5:12 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the Kanzenshuu forums. Not only do I feel it's the best Dragon Ball community with it's great mods and nontoxic environment, but the content and discussion is just superb.
You guys on any other forums that reach this level of quality? Preferably non-Dragon Ball.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Forums just as good as Kanzenshuu?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:15 am

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=30137

I personally spend a fair amount of time at
http://thelifestream.net/
http://boards.theforce.net/
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/

The Force.net in particular has the friendliest online community I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of. And they ban versus discussions.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat May 23, 2015 11:12 am

I spend a good amount of time at the AstroBoy Online Forums (I'm actually a moderator there):

http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/

It's the friendliest forum I've ever been part of. The other mods I work with are great and the discussion is, for the most part, pretty superb as well. We do have a wiki that's being worked on at the moment, but not much activity has gone on there recently. We don't have many active members, but that's okay in my mind because I feel like many people's voices often get lost in larger forums (I don't think that's a problem at Kanzenshuu, but many forums do have that problem). Everybody pretty much knows everybody there.

I would say that Kanzenshuu still has an upper hand on content, discussion, and website design, but AstroBoy Online is still a nice place to go to to discuss various topics, including (of course) Astro Boy.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun May 24, 2015 7:43 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:The Force.net in particular has the friendliest online community I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of.
Really? I'm not being facetious. That's literally the first time I've ever heard that. In fact, I've always heard literally the exact opposite of that before and have made it a point over the past decade to stay as far away from that place as humanly possible. I wonder if things have changed there in recent years?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:51 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:The Force.net in particular has the friendliest online community I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of.
Really? I'm not being facetious. That's literally the first time I've ever heard that. In fact, I've always heard literally the exact opposite of that before and have made it a point over the past decade to stay as far away from that place as humanly possible. I wonder if things have changed there in recent years?
I've been there since December 2013, and it's been by far the friendliest forum I've been to. No idea what it was like before that, but I've got nothing bad to say about it now. Sure, there are a few posters who are generally unpleasant, and will take it upon themselves to bash the authors whenever they post, but it's not like we haven't had that here, either.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun May 24, 2015 11:29 am

All I heard was that it was an extremely intolerant place. That if you said anything negative about the prequels or the special editions or anything against Lucas's ever-changing "vision" of the series, then you were instantly banned. Then again, I just realized that's kind of the same reputation that this forum inaccurately has, so maybe it's a bunch of hearsay from bitter fans. I don't have any firsthand experiences with it, but as a Star Wars fan who supported the original version of the movies that Lucas at the time was actively trying to bury, it did not seem like the place for me.

So if things have changed, then that great! If things were never as bad as I'd heard, and it's always been great, then I feel bad for letting the rumor mill get to me.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:32 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:All I heard was that it was an extremely intolerant place. That if you said anything negative about the prequels or the special editions or anything against Lucas's ever-changing "vision" of the series, then you were instantly banned. Then again, that's kind of the same reputation that this forum inaccurately has. I don't have any firsthand experiences with it, but as a Star Wars fan who supported the original version of the movies that Lucas at the time was actively trying to bury, it did not seem like the place for me.

So if things have changed, then that great! If things were never as bad as I'd heard, and it's always been great, then I feel bad for letting the rumor mill get to me.
Huh.

While yeah, there's some of that there, I can't say that's the prevailing mindset of the staff or forumbase. I tend to frequent the Lit section more often than the others, and we don't particularly care what Lucas says anyway :P

If anything, there's more criticism of Lucas than there is blind admiration. But you know how loud minorities work. I mean, look at the "TORIYAMA IZ RUINING the FRANCHISE" fanclub we have here.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Sun May 24, 2015 1:40 pm

After reading the suggestions from Kamiccolo9 I joined the Jedi Council Forums. The threads aren't as level headed as Kanzenshuu, but I wouldn't say it's a toxic place. Just remember they have over 250,000 registered members. Assuming that only 10% of those members are active posters, that's still over 3 times of Kanzenshuu's total registered users (around 6900). So it'd make sense that the negativity and toxicity would be more prevalent.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun May 24, 2015 2:25 pm

MarCas92 wrote:After reading the suggestions from Kamiccolo9 I joined the Jedi Council Forums. The threads aren't as level headed as Kanzenshuu, but I wouldn't say it's a toxic place. Just remember they have over 250,000 registered members. Assuming that only 10% of those members are active posters, that's still over 3 times of Kanzenshuu's total registered users (around 6900). So it'd make sense that the negativity and toxicity would be more prevalent.
Feel free to join us in Lit!
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun May 24, 2015 5:27 pm

Forums on par with kanzenshuu? I have an theory that every series has at least one quality place of discussion.

http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php
Avatar The Last Airbender plus quite good off-topic and high amount of Dutch. Haven't visited for a while, since I stopped following the series, but I'm still in touch with some users known here.
http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php
Berserk- had some problems with registration, but they seem to be solved.
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/
Dresden Files :)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/
I hesitated a bit, but to be fair people write long and elaborate posts, mods work pretty well... there were just some discussions that could spoil your blood.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun May 24, 2015 6:02 pm

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat May 30, 2015 9:33 pm

I don't think Kanzenshuu bans you for disagreeing with the popular consensus; or refusing to shill Sony products.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 31, 2015 9:23 am

Insertclevername wrote:I don't think Kanzenshuu bans you for disagreeing with the popular consensus; or refusing to shill Sony products.
This is as accurate a view for NeoGAF as it is for Kanzenshuu. Let's not, please.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun May 31, 2015 10:09 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:That if you said anything negative about the prequels or the special editions or anything against Lucas's ever-changing "vision" of the series, then you were instantly banned.
Mindless, spiteful rants and offensive comments are rightfully shut down since they don't provide any meaningful discussion, but everything else seems to be fair game.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:34 am

NeoGAF is useful for video game information and news, but its a different experience than Kanzenshuu since it has a lot larger community and is not tied down to one franchise. I would recommend lurking there for a while before you decide if the community is for you.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:57 pm

I spend a quality amount of time on Generation Z. The place isn't as active as it use to be (pre-jcink days), but I love the discussions that go on there. You can discuss pretty much anything and everything. Everyone is also polite and welcoming.
100th Post: October 22, 2006 @ 1:58 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:24 pm

A new forum was recently made, for anyone who wants to join: http://dbzeta.net/index/

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Isn't that the forum Goken's brother made?
Malik_DBNA wrote:

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:14 pm

It was made by Super Saiyan on DBZF (he's SuperSaiyan2 on this site). I'm pretty sure he's not related to TheGmGoken, but Goken is a member on the forum.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:03 am

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:It was made by Super Saiyan on DBZF (he's SuperSaiyan2 on this site). I'm pretty sure he's not related to TheGmGoken, but Goken is a member on the forum.
Malik_DBNA wrote: