Story Designer Idea

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Story Designer Idea

Post by SSJmole » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:39 pm

Hello.

First I am not saying they will have this. This is just an Idea.

I have WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2010 and I still play it thanks to one feature, Story Designer. Now I was thinking of how Raging Blast was. The cut-scenes used in games were pretty much a character posing and text. It was so simple. So that lead me to think Story Designer in a dragonball Z game could be great.

For those who have not played it let me explain. You get a list of set animations. With those you can edit camera , sound , text , emotion and more. You can also create matches and set health, win conditions, Match type and more. You can also host them online and download other's to play.

It would work with raging blast pretty much the same way. Let's use an example of an Idea here. Let's take the Star Wars Infinities approach and alter the course of the show/manga storyline with one action that has ripple effect.
  • [Animation] Character holding out hand. [Character] Frieza
    [Animation] Character flying [Character] Goku. [Emotion] Scared.
    [Animation] Explosion [Location] Air
    [animation] Standing [character] Teen Gohan [Emotion] Anger
    [Animation] Transformation [character] Teen Gohan to SSJ Teen Gohan
    [animation] Standing [character] SSJ Teen Gohan [Emotion] Anger
    [animation] Standing [character] Frieza [Emotion] Scared.
From there we add camera angles and Text to the scenes. Something along the lines of :
  • [Animation] Character holding out hand. [Character] Frieza
    Frieza : "You pests have stood in my way long enough]
    [Animation] Character flying [Character] Goku. [Emotion] Scared.
    Frieza : Now you die!
    [Animation] Explosion [Location] Air
    Teen Gohan : FATHER!
    [animation] Standing [character] Teen Gohan [Emotion] Anger
    Teen Gohan : I..I won't let you get away with this. He was my father. You Monster!
    [Animation] Transformation [character] Teen Gohan to SSJ Teen Gohan
    [animation] Standing [character] SSJ Teen Gohan [Emotion] Anger
    Teen Gohan : YOU WILL PAY FRIEZA!!!!
    [animation] Standing [character] Frieza [Emotion] Scared.
    Frieza : w..w...what are you!
Now we add a fight. SSJ Teen Gohan vs Final Form Frieza. Now to show power difference we set health of SSJ Teen Gohan to 4 bars and Final Form Frieza to 3 bars.

Just like that we have created an interesting play through as we now see what would happen if Gohan was the one to reach SSJ first. Does this mean Goku will return with wish? If he does what happens when Trunks shows up and sees Gohan is SSJ not Goku? We used Teen Gohan as Kid Gohan has no SSJ form. However make it the armour costume and use imagination.

Or how about SSJ3 Vegeta they added? Do you want to make story in which he reaches it then has his final showdown with goku after Buu? Or like some of the other what ifs do you want a weak character to be stronger like say Chiaotzu killing Goku? Go for it.

As for fights have the normal 1 vs 1. 1 vs 2 , 2 vs 2 , 1 vs 3 and so on plus with conditions you could make it so thy have to finish with a move or so forth. Plus health conditions or even survive only like survive for 2 minutes.

I think a mode like this could be great for dragonball Fighting games. It adds pretty much unlimited stories , It allows fan-fic writers to create a story mode for their story and more. It doesn't effect the cannon story, It just adds replay value. The example story mode I made there was just to show how it could be. With things like Standing animation suddenly been different with text and emotion.

What does everyone here think of this idea?

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Re: Story Designer Idea

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:32 pm

Excellent. I've always thought that this would work incredibly well with Dragonball. The only problem is that if you introduce a story designer, the fans will want a character designer. This could be remedied by making customs only playable in Story designer(and possibly local versus), but I think the fans would demand wi-fi.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:51 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:Excellent. I've always thought that this would work incredibly well with Dragonball. The only problem is that if you introduce a story designer, the fans will want a character designer. This could be remedied by making customs only playable in Story designer(and possibly local versus), but I think the fans would demand wi-fi.
Character designer could work and like the WWE game make it part of the upload. So if you make a new bad guy or hero you can add him to the story a set number of times. Host story online then when I download your story I have character in it and only in your story.

Then a septate part to host characters only so if I liked your character in story I can go back check your profile and get the character if you hosted online. That could very much work. However I don't think character designer is needed for the mode to be great.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:00 pm

This sounds like a really good idea! But it'd probably be too much extra effort for Spike or Dimps to actually add it in the game. :(

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:30 am

I wanted this in a DBZ game for a long time, I would buy a DBZ game just to use it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:03 am

I think if this feature was available on future Dragon Ball games it would make for some good mods.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:25 pm

Really, at this point, adding in a story editor, a character creator, and/or making an original story for a game is about all that's left for DBZ games to do that hasn't been done over and over and over and over already.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:47 pm

Seems like a lot of effort for something you can do in a few minutes with Word.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:00 pm

Rocketman wrote:Seems like a lot of effort for something you can do in a few minutes with Word.
Sure, you can make up stories outside of the game for fights, I do that all the time and I'm sure other so as well. But this is also including mini cut-scenes of your own design in the game to flesh it out more. And, in this day with internet capable consoles, you could then play the little what-if stories others have created this way.

Still, what I want is a create a character mode. The rest would be nice but is un-needed. Though if we got a CaC and the story editor, and you could place as many CaCs as you wanted into an edited story, I'd convert my entire Altered History saga into a game. Though, even without the story editor I'd LOVE to be able to 'import' my OCs into a DBZ game.
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Freeza: He's not your father! ... I am your father!!
Gohan: NOOOOOO!

Yeah I'm having trouble seeing the need for a story editor.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:31 pm

Commander_Red wrote:Freeza: He's not your father! ... I am your father!!

Haha, sure, you'd have to deal with stuff like that if you just hunted around for random ones to play. Or stuff like "LSSJ3 Brolly vs SSJ8 Gogeta!" and so on, but then you'd also find those that were real gems of an idea. It's like with fanfiction, you've got your shitty fanfiction, your decent fanfiction, and your quality fanfiction. And those who are capable of quality fanfiction could produce quality what-if stories.

I mean, which story would you rather play in a DBZ game, GT or GTR?
<Xyex> Good point.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:04 am

I don't see the issue with a story editor since it will be something that you keep you busy after you beat the game. So if someone has a stupid idea for a story mode, then let it happen since you don't have use the story editor in the game.
She/Her

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:54 pm

Commander_Red wrote:Freeza: He's not your father! ... I am your father!!

:lol: I have no doubt you'll see something like that. On the WWE game they had story lines like 2 wrestlers die, then wrestle in heaven and the loser gets raped; it was stupid. However you also got some great ones out it.

This would be the same. You'd get stupid stories like you mentioned. However on the servers to download from WWE they have reviews. I always check those first. If everyone says it's stupid I leave it. And I'll download good ones.

With the sequel if it had my idea (it won't; I know), it'd have more characters. Imagine if you will Cooler being in a sequel. You could do and play some great stories that look at the back story of Cooler & Frieza. Exploring their sibling relationship, then how it changes when Cooler becomes stronger with his transformation.

If Vegeta Jr. from GT ever makes it into a game I can finally do my "What if Vegeta turned in to a kid in GT instead of Goku."

If Cell Jr. is in I can make my fanfic I wrote a while ago come to life. Where one Cell Jr actually survived and trained hard, then when he was grown up he came to face Gohan (using Adult Cell's alternate costume). That leads to him being Gohan's Piccolo or Vegeta as my story was about Gohan in Goku's role.

Not many people may like those two but I would, and I could do them then play through them and enjoy it. I'm sure you yourself have ideas that you would like to see. Just like others. Story designer is not about getting 100% great stories. It's about adding replay value and allowing people to be creative.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:45 pm

I would do a story mode where Ginyu takes over the universe by taking over Freeza's body.
She/Her

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:59 pm

Xyex wrote:I mean, which story would you rather play in a DBZ game, GT or GTR?
Not that I've written up an extensive document full of ideas for a GTR game, with a full list of characters, stages, story mode battles, or anything. >_>
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:41 am

Kaboom wrote:
Not that I've written up an extensive document full of ideas for a GTR game, with a full list of characters, stages, story mode battles, or anything. >_>
Haha. I've not gone extensive but I have done a basic outline for an Altered History game. XD
<Xyex> Good point.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:40 pm

Kaboom wrote:
My response:
" *clapping* I want it I want it I want it I want it!"
Xyex wrote:Haha. I've not gone extensive but I have done a basic outline for an Altered History game. XD
... Then I realized that I do the same thing... ur... frequently. :-/
Wait, what am I saying? I still have a thread to post in the Fanworks section! ... *procrastinates*
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:29 pm

caejones wrote:My response:
" *clapping* I want it I want it I want it I want it!"
Heheheh. Well at least I now know that if I were to show off some of that stuff in the GTR thread, at least ONE person would get a kick out of it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:17 pm

I still wish this feature would get added. Going by the posts above it could be really fun.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:19 am

SSJmole wrote:I still wish this feature would get added. Going by the posts above it could be really fun.
I will support this on the condition that a built-in TTS becomes a standard for future gaming systems.
Either that, or someone comes up with a modified version of an existing console that supports as much, but that'd be dependent on things being organized a certain way and *head explodes*.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).