DBZ: The Grand Legend of Dragon Ball at a Goodwill!?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

DBZ: The Grand Legend of Dragon Ball at a Goodwill!?

Post by MetaMoss » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:45 am

So a few hours ago I was in line at my town's Goodwill with my mom and sister, and I decided to look at this rack of CDs, DVDs, and other assorted disks. I saw some cool things, then I see a disk lying on the bottom (not even on the friggin' rack) with the DBZ logo on it. "Cool", I say and I examine it closer. I see it's a PS1 game, and then something shocking. The title is in Japanese, and by the PS logo on the disk (it's missing its front cover) its says "For Japan Only". I examine the back. It's Japanese, and it's only $2. I buy it, of course. When I got home, I checked out Kanzentai's game guide and find out it's The Grand Legend of Dragon Ball. I think my week has been made. Anycase, I got a question. Could I play this on a US PS1/PS2? Otherwise I'll just sell it to my local game shop (which already has some JP games, like a boxed copy of Super Butoden 3).

"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: DBZ: The Grand Legend of Dragon Ball at a Goodwill!?

Post by dragondyle » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:51 am

That's really awesome! Unfortunately, you can't play it on US systems without a little bit of modding. However, don't get rid of it. It's an awesome gem to have in America! Especially from a thrift store! They get some weird stuff sometimes. Like once at a Savers, I found a totally legit Japanese Sailor Moon tankobon for $3! I had to buy it because of the oddity of it being there.
You must have faith in who you are.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:03 am

dragondyle wrote:That's really awesome! Unfortunately, you can't play it on US systems without a little bit of modding. However, don't get rid of it. It's an awesome gem to have in America! Especially from a thrift store! They get some weird stuff sometimes. Like once at a Savers, I found a totally legit Japanese Sailor Moon tankobon for $3! I had to buy it because of the oddity of it being there.
I guess I could keep it, but then again I do know the owner pretty well, so I might at least go get an estimate. But yeah this thing would be a pretty cool addition to my collection, though it doesn't beat that Bandai Master Grade Goku model I got at a hobby shop.

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:28 am

That was a rare find. I found a big cloth Inuyasha wall scroll at a Goodwill, and yes I got it.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:56 pm

You might be able to play it on PS2. Not sure if the PS2 is region locked but more likely then the PS or PS2, you are probably going to have the best luck getting it to run on the PS3. If you have a friend with a PS3, try it out and if it works let us know how it is. :) Nice find btw.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:58 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:You might be able to play it on PS2. Not sure if the PS2 is region locked but more likely then the PS or PS2, you are probably going to have the best luck getting it to run on the PS3. If you have a friend with a PS3, try it out and if it works let us know how it is. :) Nice find btw.
PS2 is region locked. Which is why I said to him that he wouldn't be able to play it without some modding to make it play different region games.
You must have faith in who you are.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:12 pm

Well, I went to the store to see what they would give me for it. While they wouldn't take it because it didn't have its cover (to be honest, I had a thought in the back of my head that they wouldn't), the owner told me of some easy ways to mod a PS1 or PS2 to play Japanese games. So when I get a PS2, I'll just use a swap disk to play it.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:27 am

I've never found any awesome Dragon Ball Z things, but my sister did grab me one of these for 10c at a garage sale:

Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:49 am

metamoss wrote:Well, I went to the store to see what they would give me for it. While they wouldn't take it because it didn't have its cover (to be honest, I had a thought in the back of my head that they wouldn't), the owner told me of some easy ways to mod a PS1 or PS2 to play Japanese games. So when I get a PS2, I'll just use a swap disk to play it.

I can't wrap my mind around how you would actually trade it in instead of keeping it, at least as some kind of cool, rare thing to have.

Would it really have been worth the few dollars you would have gotten? Really? Heck, I'd buy it off you for that.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:40 am

Big Momma wrote:

I can't wrap my mind around how you would actually trade it in instead of keeping it, at least as some kind of cool, rare thing to have.

Would it really have been worth the few dollars you would have gotten? Really? Heck, I'd buy it off you for that.
Honestly, unless they would have given me some legitimate cash for it, I was going to keep it anyway. If they said, "We'll give you 10 bucks for it," I would have definitely passed. I used to this semi-packrat who would cringe at having to get rid of things I might have some slight use for, but selling off my Transformers collection last year kinda killed that.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:47 am

If your PC is decent, you should be able to emulate it with something like ePSXe or what have you.

I'll see about scanning the cover for you if you want something to print up and stick into the disk tray!
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]