Jumping Into The Current/Next Generation...

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Jumping Into The Current/Next Generation...

Post by MagicBox » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:39 pm

Since I like to ramble, I'm going to tell a little story to set up some context for my question. Feel free to skip it and jump down to the last paragraph.

Some of my earliest and fondest Dragon Ball memories involve going down to a local video game & import store with my dad in 2001 and paying for overpriced Japanese copies of "Ultimate Battle 22" and "Final Bout" for the Playstation. Since we "only" had a Playstation 2, playing these games involved purchasing a used Playstation 1 AND a plug-in device that enabled it to play import games. Then I had to do a little trick with the discs upon start-up to actually get them to run. It was tedious. It was expensive. My 11-year-old self was very obviously ripped off.

It was AWESOME.

Keep in mind that this was before the first "Budōkai" game arrived and rebooted the franchise. This was all I had access to, and it's one of the only memories I have of being involved in the "old-school fandom" of yore (good ol' fansubs and imports!). Later, I also picked up "Legendary Super Warriors" for the Game Boy Color (which was GREAT) and the first "Legacy Of Goku" for the Game Boy Advance (which was... okay). I'm making this thread because I haven't played *anything* since then. Well, that's not true. I picked up "Revenge Of King Piccolo" ("Tenkaichi Dai-Bōken" / "The Grandest Adventure Under The Sun") and very much enjoyed it. But aside from that, I haven't played anything since the early 2000s.

So here's my question. I'm looking to jump into the current/next generation of games. By that, I'm referring to anything on the PS3/360/Wii and the DS/3DS. But my backlog of games is already HUGE, so I only want to play something that fits into my list of requirements. I only have so much time. So, can anyone tell me which games have been released in North America that 1.) have the Japanese voices, and 2.) don't have any replacement music (as in, the game has the same music in both North America and Japan)?

From what I've seen, there's...

Nintendo DS
- "Attack Of The Saiyans"

Nintendo Wii
- "Revenge Of King Piccolo" / "Tenkaichi Dai-Bōken"

Playstation 3 / XBOX 360
- "Burst Limit"

Is that everything? That's awfully sad considering how many games have come out over the past few years. Hopefully whatever issue that's keeping the console games from keeping the Kikuchi music gets resolved real soon.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Jumping Into The Current/Next Generation...

Post by B » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:59 pm

Tenkaichi Dai-Bouken did not get it's score changed from Japan, but at the same time, it doesn't use Shunsuke Kikuchi's score. Mike points this out in his review.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:03 pm

Yeah, I know the music in that game is mostly recycled replacement music from other games, but I'm okay with that since the music's the same in every version of that game around the world. As long as the music didn't get replaced on its way to North American shelves, then I'm satisfied. :)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:15 pm

Revenge of King Piccolo is a fun game and the soundtrack is a mix of new and recycled music which is OK but the problem for me is that the gameplay is just too repetitive and simple that'll you'll be doing constantly all the way throughout the game.

I'd rather play Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure this one does have some of its original Dragon Ball music but you'd have to get the Japanese version for it, although mostly the score itself is more or less the same on the EU/JP editions (JP gets the exclusive tunes as always).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kerunou

Post by Kerunou » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Nice to see someone of a similar situation, I too was a large part of that early fandom but caught solely the tail end of it. Attack Of The Saiyans and Burst Limit are two of my favorite dragonball games, honestly. If Burst Limit was a longer game, maybe even going as far as GT, it would've been ideal in my opinion.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:20 pm

I hope the games are better in PS4 generation because in this generation (besides graphics) they were pathetic.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:48 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I hope the games are better in PS4 generation because in this generation (besides graphics) they were pathetic.
Eh, the developers had plenty of opportunities to release on the 7th gen and they never delivered the definitive game but this is mostly Namco Bandai's fault not Dimps/Spike.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:29 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:I hope the games are better in PS4 generation because in this generation (besides graphics) they were pathetic.
Eh, the developers had plenty of opportunities to release on the 7th gen and they never delivered the definitive game but this is mostly Namco Bandai's fault not Dimps/Spike.
I didn´t blame anyone in concrete. They should listen to the fans once in a while (talking about nostal raging blast 3 project here). They hyped people so much with the annoucement of the new game in facebook that a lot of people, me included, thought they had finally listen to us. And then, the new game turn out to be a Battle of Z.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi was a game that Spike used ideas from fans but that didn't end well and Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z is somewhat what we've been wanting for a long time and that is Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle Royale.

I just hope that they bring Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle Royale (Updates? DLC!) over to Europe/US once and for all and with a game like that it'd be a great reason to get a PlayStation 4 or Wii U if on WU then I wouldn't need to purchase a new console for it. Although I do plan on buying a PlayStation 4 when it has games I'm interested to play.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:38 am

Kerunou wrote:Nice to see someone of a similar situation, I too was a large part of that early fandom but caught solely the tail end of it. Attack Of The Saiyans and Burst Limit are two of my favorite dragonball games, honestly. If Burst Limit was a longer game, maybe even going as far as GT, it would've been ideal in my opinion.
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to playing both of those. I agree, I wish that "Burst Limit" covered at least Raditz through Buu, but I guess all that matters is that the game's fun. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed them so much!

So, can anyone confirm for me? Was I right about which games have Japanese voices and no music replacement issues? It's just "Burst Limit," "Attack Of The Saiyans," and "Tenkaichi Dai-Bōken," right?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:59 am

- Burst Limit
- Raging Blast 1 (Inc. original Japanese opening)
- Raging Blast 2 (Kenji Yamamoto on the original prints)
- Ultimate Tenkaichi (CLHCL Opening)
- Revenge of King Piccolo (Original Japanese opening and a mix of new and recycled music)
- Battle of Z (CLHCL by FLOW and some new BGMs though there's recycled music from RB1/UT)

They all have Japanese audio but games like RB1/RB2/UB don't feature the Kikuchi synthesised version which is on the Japanese copies unfortunately. We've been asking this for years but Namco Bandai keeps on ignoring.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:13 am

Budokai HD Collection (Budokai 1 HD only has japanese audio on the PAL version, Budokai 3 HD has japanese and english audio on all versions);

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:44 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:- Burst Limit
- Raging Blast 1 (Inc. original Japanese opening)
- Raging Blast 2 (Kenji Yamamoto on the original prints)
- Ultimate Tenkaichi (CLHCL Opening)
- Revenge of King Piccolo (Original Japanese opening and a mix of new and recycled music)
- Battle of Z (CLHCL by FLOW and some new BGMs though there's recycled music from RB1/UT)
Awesome, thanks very much. Yeah, for me it's an "all or nothing" deal. It's great those games keep the Japanese vocal songs, but unless I'm getting all of that plus the game's original background music, it's a no-go.

"Burst Limit" it is. Thanks!