Things that the best Dragonball Z game ever must have

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

chronocross
Not-So-Newbie

Things that the best Dragonball Z game ever must have

Post by chronocross » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:03 pm

Well, in my personal opinion I think that the greatest Dragonball game should have:

1.- A story mode just like Dragonball Z Budokai 3. However, it should start from the beginning, all the way from Dragonball. can you guys imaging Goku flying in kintou. It would be awesome to see how you can play as Goku or any character all the way to the end.
2. A great number of characters, just like in tenkaichi.
3. I love cut-scenes or at least the most importants, such: when Goku defeated Piccolo Daimau or when Gohan defeated Cell. Of course it has to have the same intro mode as the first Budokai, that is that everytime that a new saga comes a new openings apears.
4. It definately has to have the great graphics of Tenkaichi.
5. It has to have also the original Japanese and English audio (and if is possible also the spanish one)
6. It definitely needs to music from the original japanese anime, the american dub and the bgm from older Dragonball video games (i want to fight with Hikari no Will Power on the background :P )
7. It has to allow the player to decide what kind of background music would be used during each fight (except on history mode).
8.It got to have online gaming, it is about time !
9. Along with online gaming it come the ultimate Tenkaichi Budokai where only the strongest fight.
10. A building up character customization such as the one from Budokai 3

And that is about all that i have in mind. I know it is almost impossible but I am allow to dream, right?

So what would you guys add or change?
I aim to misbehave

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Re: Things that the best Dragonball Z game ever must have

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:26 pm

Time for my opinion! Here goes:

Story Mode: Something akin to a fusion of Dragon Universe and the original Budokai storyline; only you make all the desicions. Does Goku give up on Cell? It's all up to you. That's what I call a true what-if? story mode.
Character Roster: Everyone that's been in a previous Budokai game, plus a lot from Dragonball, GT, Fillers, Movies and Specials. In-Game transformations are a must. No one wants 20 Gokus.
Graphics: An upgrade of Budokai 3, which is better than Sparking!'s, if you ask me.
Cutscenes: No more CGI ones. I want Toei to do some anime cutscenes for the game; completly original ones.
Music: Japanese only, with the exception of 'Rock the Dragon'! :P
Language: I think we should get the Dub VAs, The Original Seiyuu, and maybe even the British dub's voices. I'd love to hear a British Goku! :)
Online? Yup!
Extra Stuff: What-if? Transformations (SSJ3 Gohan, SSJ Pan, etc.), What-if? Fusions (Gotan, Yamhan, Some Goku + Broli fusion), Avaliability on all systems at once, NO EXTRAS FOR THE JP AND EU VERSIONS!

:lol: Yup...that's about it.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

chronocross
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chronocross » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:14 am

Great idea, new animation would be great. however i would combine new animation for the great openings and endings. I would put the cut scenes for lesser filler fights :P .
I aim to misbehave

gohan2k
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan2k » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:50 am

I'd really like, for a change, to have a completely original game story wise with a brand new villain and Toei animated cut scenes. A unique story in a video game is the closest we'd get to a new series and would be very, very exciting!
[quote="TripleRach"]I don't like Vegeta much. He spends most of the series as a whiny bitch.[/quote]

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Post by NECPS » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:25 pm

Dragon Universe should be more interactive. Going down to enter stores, to eat. The customized characters should be more real too. Equip a character with a saiyan armor and his appearence along his status.
Mr. Satan should not be able to fly.

I guess it would be hard to do a Dragonball and Dragonball Z game in one pack. I do prefer separated games.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Things that the best Dragonball Z game ever must have

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:29 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:
Language: I think we should get the Dub VAs, The Original Seiyuu, and maybe even the British dub's voices. I'd love to hear a British Goku! :)
Only thing is, outside of fan movies no brit has ever voiced Goku. >.>;; The so called British dub wasn't recorded in the UK at all.

Anyhow, my ideal DB game...

Story mode: Something like a cross between B2 & B3, a light hearted retelling from Son Goku's first step outside of his familiar mountain terrain until the end of the Buu Saga

Gameplay: Cross between Budokai and Sparking. XD Free roaming plus seperate punch & kick buttons and command inputs would make me happy. =D In the first half of the game there won't be any flying, seeing how most of the characters couldn't anyway. And far fewer ki-attacks. In Multiplayer you would get to choose between DB & DBZ modes then. >.>;; And behold as getting a ring out suddenly becomes a far more real threat on the Budokai stage.
I'd have no problems if the Capsule system was kept, that way I can keep my grand tradition of never making Goku go SSJ. XD

Music: I'd likes some Makafushigi Adventure thank you very much. =D Although a mix between familiar BGM and some newly composed stuff in the same atmosphere would be nifty.

Voices: Japanese, ta.

Characters: Most characters that had a fighting part during the length of DB. I'd be much happy if Nam would finally be a playable character. XD And of course much needed costumes, so that those that feel like it can have a Goku with the good ol' Kame kanji on the back, or Yamucha with his bad boy long haired look.
Oh... and Neko Majin Z and Lord Onio are absolute musts.... possibly a return of the fictional fusions, much love for the Dodohameha.

Beyond that I want nice and balanced gameplay, and a depth that would please even the most hardened Capcom, SNK or Virtua Fighter fan.

And behold as it'll never happen. =D

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:02 pm

Since this is similar to a thread that was here a while ago, it should be ok to post my previous opinion on what the greatest DB game should feature.
Bejiita wrote:I'd love to see some Japanese BGM in a new game, but sadly they had problems with copyright terms or something, so they wasn't allowed, is the BGM that important that Toei won't let it feature in the games? At least some tracks would go good.

What I'd like to see is a ki attack you can do without the little cutscene they show, don't take this wrong, I love seeing them getting prepared to do their special or a standard move, but I was watching an episode where SSJ Goku was fighting Freeza(the once after Gohan returned) and they where teleporting and just firing the beams and teleporting and firing another beam straight away whilst dodging, it would be awesome to see and do this in a game. They should leave the cutscene part in there as an option, or even make it so the first time you use the attack in a match, in that same match when you do it again it just skips the little scene and does it straight away.

Also, when beams hit, they should look better.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

chronocross
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chronocross » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:09 am

I forgot one more thing about the gameplay. I think it would be very interesting to see a fusion of Dragonball z Budokai 3 with Dragonball Legends. In that way it would be awesome to see 3 fighters against one big boss such as Freeza. It would really resemble the anime. Example: Having Gohan, Kuririn and Vegeta survive for x amount of time untill/ or cause x amount of damage to Freeza for Piccolo to come and have a one one and then another porcentage of damage for Vegeta to come back after being hurt by Kuririn. And th final showdown agaisnt Goku.
I think it would be neat.
I aim to misbehave

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Post by NECPS » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:50 am

Ok this one is good..

I wish Goku could use Super Saiyajin without using Kaioken first. It takes one precious slot. But I also wish you could equip the capsule Super Saiyajin 2 without using Super Saiyajin 1 on the first place.

chronocross
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chronocross » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:12 pm

Well, as I was driving back home I had another idea for the perfect video game: Online Story: Let me explain. The gaming is based on fighting rooms that allows a maximun of 6 people. Let say a want to play as Piccolo on the Sayan saga. The characters are build up acording to your experience just like Budokai 3. Well if i want i can fight against another person whose character is Nappa. This person has the choice to get 2 saibamans from his computer or saibamans that my oponent builded up by himself by playing the game. Or we can ask 2 more people to join my side as Gohan and Kuririn, and 2 more people to join my oponet's side (but is most likely that no one wants to be a Saibaman , so those 2 saibamans would still be artificial intelligent with the experience collected from my enemy).
I think that online game play would be awesome. Now let me explain how would it work. Well it had to have free roaming but those fights have to be separate from each other but at the same time. So in the first plane we have a fight (lets say Piccolo against Napa) and then the player can see the other 2 fights as a background (from far way) . Also each player has to have a way to comunicate, in case we want to exchange oponents.
One thing that is still up on the air is the level system. I mean there got to be a kind olf level system. Nevertheless, figters have to hide their energy, therfore when I chose and oponent their skill level should not be revealed. The skill level should be revealed during the fight and by using an specific item such as an scouter or using he ki (but not the way it was used on Tenkaichi). It has to be a lot simpler and it should not take enough time. And if the player does not care about the skill level then it simply does not equip the scouter or used the ki technique.
Know the prices. If a level is completed and follows the original story line then it gets a dragonball and continue to the next story line. If does not follow the story line then it gets a dark dragonball and follows to a new story line lets say Nappa wins and decides to take Vegeta and then it defeats Vegeta and becomes Super Saiyain (it would be kind of weird since it does not have any hair but sitll fun ).
And if the 7 dragonballs are colected the nyou get either money or an online wish. And if the 7 dark dragonballs are collected you to open the Dark archives, which is basically unloking all the dragonball, dragonball z games before ps2 all in english .
Ok I know I am dreaming but still..... I think it would be great Fun
I aim to misbehave

Demi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Demi » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:06 pm

My dream Dragonball Z game.

It wouldn't be a beat em up, it would be a MMORPG. You would create and customize your own character. Face, eyes, facial hair, height, weight, hair style ect. You would be able to choose from 3 races, Human, Namek or Saiyan. Saiyans would only be able to have black as their hair colour.
It would be like this, the character you create depends on where you start, Humans start on earth, Nameks on Namek, Saiyans on Vegeta. When you create your character you decide out of being Light or Dark (Good or Evil) and you can PvP against the oposing side.
When you first create a character, it starts off as a child. Once you level it up enough (to level 100) it becomes a lvl1 Adult (lvl1 adult would be stronger then lvl100 child).

At certain levels you'd gain certain abilitys, like:

Saiyans

Child lvl25 - Ki = Lets you learn/use energy ball/beam attacks.
Child lvl50 - Charge Ki = Lets you build up/regenerate your Ki, so you won't need to use Ki regeneration items anymore.
Child lvl75 - Flight = Lets you float in the air and fly around the world, allowing you to each new areas.
Child lvl100 - Grow up = Become a lvl1 Adult.
Adult lvl25 - Super Saiyan - Lets you transform into a Super Saiyan if learnt = All stats x2
Adult lvl50 - Super Saiyan 2 - Lets you transform into a Super Saiyan 2 if learnt = All stats x3
Adult lvl60 - Super Saiyan 3 - Lets you transform into a Super Saiyan 3 if learnt = All stats x4
Adult lvl75 - Super Saiyan 4 - Lets you transform into a Super Saiyan 4 if learnt = All stats x5
Adult lvl100 - Reincarnate = Return to lvl1 Child form with all Child abilites.

All Races
Fusion Dance - Learnt from a quest on Planet Metamor, alows two people to fuse together, adding eachothers stats, HP and Ki together then all stats +10. When the fusion starts, each character gets a random number, the highest number controls the fusion for 30 minutes before it defuses whilst the other player must watch. People can only fuse if they are within 5 levels of eachother. EXP is diveded equally.

Attacks like Masenko, Kamehameha, punch/kick combos ect would be learnt by doing quests/missions or whatever. Nameks and Humans would have their own set of abilitys.

Once you reach Adult lvl100, you'd have the option to reincarnate. Meaning your character would be gone, and reborn as a lvl1 Child. The reason you'd want to do this, is because you'd imediatly start off with all the skills you can get as a child, and you'd be able to learn adult skills as a child (Child at level 25 could become Super Saiyan ect). So you could be a Super Saiyan ect as a kid.

No characters from Dragonball ZGT would appear in this game at all, so no Goku or anything, it'd be like they never existed.
There would be like, 20 planets you could visit and battle on, you could have Good VS Evil wars with other players and fight for possesion of planets and stuff. You could learn to mask or hide your power level, choose what outfit you wanna wear and which colour (Gi, Saiyan Armour, Namekian armour ect). You'd be able to enter the martial arts tournament which would be held once a week, so you'd get to be known as the world champion among all the other players for a whole week if you win.

Yes, i've put a lot of thought into this. =P

chronocross
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chronocross » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:52 pm

Wow, that was great, i really like the RPG feeling. I would expand the game and let the players decide what kind of gameplay would they chose at the begining of the game:
a) RPG like so when they fight they use their tactics just like some snes dragonball videogames , or
b) Fighting stile where so when they fight they use their raw insticts to level up
Really interesting point of view. It would be great ot have two different gameplays in one single game. In that way everyone wins.

Hopefuly maybe one day a gamedeveloper would see this post :P
I aim to misbehave

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:00 pm

Let's move away from the extensive combo-driven fighting, for one. Sure, Dragon Ball as a series is all about the fightin', but they didn't spend all of their time battling one enemy after another (just most of their time).

I'd honestly like to see another take at an RPG/adventure along the lines of Sagas. Only, y'know, better designed, with more characters, interactive locations, and the like. A must would be mixing in the Dragon Ball system and the flight system used in B3 for overworld movement.

I'd also like to see the wacky stuff you can equip in Buu's Fury to actually have a visible effect. I want to see Vegita dressed in a ghost costume, a monocle, and a "Gokuu" hat!
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Post by NECPS » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:16 pm

I like to have RPG elements included, but no, DBZ must stay as a fighting game. I mean, it is a fighting anime, it should keep the fighting style over the RPG style. It is proved already; RPG for anime series are always bad games. I'd like to get a "create your warrior" on a DBZ fighting game. Selecting the face, the hair, the costume...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:28 pm

NECPS wrote:I like to have RPG elements included, but no, DBZ must stay as a fighting game. I mean, it is a fighting anime, it should keep the fighting style over the RPG style. It is proved already; RPG for anime series are always bad games. I'd like to get a "create your warrior" on a DBZ fighting game. Selecting the face, the hair, the costume...
It wouldn't be that hard to make. Do a flat out RPG, only make the battles fighter-game style. Some principal as Tales of Symphonia.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

gohan2k
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan2k » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:56 pm

Yeah I'd really like the whole level up/Build up idea except instead of level 20 or such and such you have power levels!
When you get to certain levels you gain new skills, become super saiyan etc and what race you choose determines you characters strengths eg Saiyans can gain power faster than others, Androids can have infinite ki....
Something like that would be awesome especially if for every character the building up has a different story eg Goku learns from Grandpa Gohan, Roshi etc and Gohan learning from Piccolo...

That would be so awesome!
[quote="TripleRach"]I don't like Vegeta much. He spends most of the series as a whiny bitch.[/quote]

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:26 am

Tag-team play! Tag-team play! Something similar to Supersonic Warriors.

Also, something like DBZ Legends where several characters are fighting at once (not just one-on-one) and you can switch between the characters in mid-battle.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Post by NECPS » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:38 am

Tag team alright! But I have one request for this: both characters must stay onscreen!

And it is almost impossible to create an RPG with fighting style for battles because of the program styles. You end up having a pretty simplistic battle like Tales, or frustrating gameplay as Shenmue. I really belive we would be getting a gameplay like Final Bout..

And the whole idea of raising levels to become Super Saiyajin is old and rusty. I would choose for an Adventure style instead, where at certain point of the game you just get the power as the time is right. Of course, trainning to get points to add special moves is cool, but transformations could mess my experience. After all who thinks it is cool to become a Super Saiyajin while fighting Nappa? No.. Even in the Super Nes RPG game they had to hold the transformation so the game could stay cool.

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:33 am

In-Game transformations and a camera behind the character is all that is needed to make me happy :P
I'll go into further detail though about my perfect DBZ game some time later.
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:55 am

This is what I need to be happy:

Story Mode: A Cross between Budokai 1 and 3, from the begining of Dragon Ball until the end of GT (Including the Garlic Jr. Saga) and what-if stories. Also we would be allowed to choose to play as villains.

Language: I don't care if it has an English option, but the Japanese is a must have.

Music: Music from the original japanese anime (both 3 series).

Characters: Everyone from previous Budokais and Sparking, In Game Transformations, Alternate Outfits, More Female Fighters (Bra, Chi-Chi, Lunch, Pan and Bulma) and obscure characters (Oolong, General Blue, Pilaf, Neko Majin Z).

Extras: Anime Opening instead of a 3D one.