"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:50 am

New_Guy wrote:Now I'm hoping that Videl makes the cut among other favs of mine. I know she would be great in this game.
Unlike every other character in the roster, she has no signature moves, and that seems to be an important factor in this game.

precita
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:37 am

Besides Ultimate Gohan and some of the other Super Saiyan transformations, I wonder if this is it for the "heroes."

I'm not sure if Tenshinhan or Yamcha will make it in. Trunks/Goten a small possibility if they're a tag team. And then there's just Mr. Satan, Roshi or Videl and they're probably low priority if they're considered at all.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:53 am

precita wrote:Besides Ultimate Gohan and some of the other Super Saiyan transformations, I wonder if this is it for the "heroes."

I'm not sure if Tenshinhan or Yamcha will make it in. Trunks/Goten a small possibility if they're a tag team. And then there's just Mr. Satan, Roshi or Videl and they're probably low priority if they're considered at all.
The producer said that Tien is one of her favourites. He's in 99%. Yamcha is also likely 80% in, because his voice actor claimed he did a hectic voice session for him, and nothing happened with him in Super to justify the comment. Ultimate Gohan is also very likely, alongside Gotenks. I don't see Goten and Kid Trunks making it in.

As for villains, the sky's the limit. I have no idea what they'll pull out of their asses, but I'd be especially pleased with Final Stage Cooler, Janemba, Super Buu and Beerus. Don't really care about kid buu and I fucking hate Broly.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:50 am

precita wrote:Besides Ultimate Gohan and some of the other Super Saiyan transformations, I wonder if this is it for the "heroes."

I think Tenshinhan and Yamcha are both really likely because not having two of the more unique martial artists (not to mention franchise mainstays) in the game at all would be weird, and because they don't have the A-list status to justify releasing them as DLC down the road. Whereas I think a lot of characters, such as movie characters, original DB characters and newer Super characters, do have the status that people would spend money on them. I could see a movie DLC pack with Broly, Janemba, Cooler and whoever else, and I could see a Dragon Ball pack with Kamesennin, Piccolo Daimao, "Shen," and Taopaipai, and I could see a Super pack with Super people, but i just don't see a "Come pay cash for those two guys!" I guess they could be folded into a DB pack since that's really where their fighting was done.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:37 am

I think Ultimate Gohan, Tenshinan and Yamcha are 99% in.
I can also see them including Hit and Black Goku for their incredible popularity.
As for DLC, I think Caulifla will have priority. After her they will probably release other ToP characters such as Jiren and shirtless Goku in his new form, as they will be the most popular by the time the game comes out. I also hope we could get some alternate costume, but it seems like we won't because it is a ton of work for them. Though as for the stages I don't think its hard for them to create new ones so I really wish to see some Super ones such as Bulma's boat, the RoF stage and U6 tournament arena.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:19 am

What about Jaco? Jaco has a tons of gadgets, guns, a spaceship with a huge cannon and even a biological weapon he could use in a fight, and would differ a lot from the other characters which ones are already in. He could also drink milk for a power up. :D

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Now that I think about it, choosing Cell Games Gohan as a character was a very bad choice. This version lasts for a second in the whole series and while it looks cool, it isn't particularly original he basically Kamehamehas and that's it.

Gohan is one of the few characters that I would accept having more than one version and that's likely the route this game is going, however we will likely miss out on Kid Gohan, who was far more interesting and had a much bigger impact in the storyline. Adult Gohan should be in, it's a logical choice since it's how the character currently looks and will be like in the foreseeable future, besides being relevant in the Boo Arc.

I would be shocked if they gave us 3 Gohan's.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:37 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:

I think Tenshinhan and Yamcha are both really likely because not having two of the more unique martial artists (not to mention franchise mainstays) in the game at all would be weird, and because they don't have the A-list status to justify releasing them as DLC down the road. Whereas I think a lot of characters, such as movie characters, original DB characters and newer Super characters, do have the status that people would spend money on them. I could see a movie DLC pack with Broly, Janemba, Cooler and whoever else, and I could see a Dragon Ball pack with Kamesennin, Piccolo Daimao, "Shen," and Taopaipai, and I could see a Super pack with Super people, but i just don't see a "Come pay cash for those two guys!" I guess they could be folded into a DB pack since that's really where their fighting was done.
Yeah, hopefully we get real packs instead of 2 characters for 10 bucks. Should've been $5 at most.

ssjprodigy
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjprodigy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:08 pm

It kinda bothers me that they only gave trunks the masenko when it was Gohan's signature move and he doesn't have it lol hopefully they give Ultimate Gohan the move too it only makes sense

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:20 pm

LightBing wrote:Now that I think about it, choosing Cell Games Gohan as a character was a very bad choice. This version lasts for a second in the whole series and while it looks cool, it isn't particularly original he basically Kamehamehas and that's it.

Gohan is one of the few characters that I would accept having more than one version and that's likely the route this game is going, however we will likely miss out on Kid Gohan, who was far more interesting and had a much bigger impact in the storyline. Adult Gohan should be in, it's a logical choice since it's how the character currently looks and will be like in the foreseeable future, besides being relevant in the Boo Arc.

SSJ2 Gohan is the most popular incarnation of the character, and Ultimate Gohan represents him in the Buu arc and Super.

I mean what else did you want? Saiyan or Namek era Gohan? I mean I know the older fighting games had kid Gohan, but we're talking about a new series with limited character slots.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:50 pm

precita wrote:
LightBing wrote:Now that I think about it, choosing Cell Games Gohan as a character was a very bad choice. This version lasts for a second in the whole series and while it looks cool, it isn't particularly original he basically Kamehamehas and that's it.

SSJ2 Gohan is the most popular incarnation of the character, and Ultimate Gohan represents him in the Buu arc and Super.

I mean what else did you want? Saiyan or Namek era Gohan? I mean I know the older fighting games had kid Gohan, but we're talking about a new series with limited character slots.
Just because it's the most popular version doesn't mean it's the best for the game, the fact there's a limited number of slots makes the issue even more relevant.

From the gameplay we've seen, the only thing unique about Gohan is his range and apparently he hits very hard. His Super attacks are Kamehameha's he's not that interesting. Anyway it's not a serious problem, I just believe Kid Gohan would be a much better choice for various reasons I mentioned before.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:21 pm

I found this extremely insightful video recorded from a Game Developers Conference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

Technical artist Junya C Motomura (Guilty Gear, DB FighterZ) talks about the X Factor between 2D and 3D.
The video is 2 years old, but it's worth sharing especially for the new people that don't have the knowledge of how Arc System Works do their magic.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:51 pm

SSJ2 Gohan has a ton of moves from the Namek era too, and iirc he also has a Masenko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfMWkzVMTwk

EDIT: Hmm, I was wrong about the Masenko, but a part of his moves definitely came from the Namek era.
Last edited by KayDash on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:53 pm

LightBing wrote:Just because it's the most popular version doesn't mean it's the best for the game, the fact there's a limited number of slots makes the issue even more relevant.
That's true, but I think it's important to represent the SS2 form in some way. Gohan's obviously the most likely candidate for that. Gotenks, if he's in, will most likely be already SS3 by default.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:07 pm

Doctor. wrote:
LightBing wrote:Just because it's the most popular version doesn't mean it's the best for the game, the fact there's a limited number of slots makes the issue even more relevant.
That's true, but I think it's important to represent the SS2 form in some way. Gohan's obviously the most likely candidate for that. Gotenks, if he's in, will most likely be already SS3 by default.
You think they could default SS4 Gogeta as the mandatory SS4 representation? He is kind of the most popular character with that form and Goku's already got 1, 3 and Blue.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:09 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
You think they could default SS4 Gogeta as the mandatory SS4 representation? He is kind of the most popular character with that form and Goku's already got 1, 3 and Blue.
I was expecting Vegetto to be the Blue representation but it seems like he's not even going to be in the game at all. If GT characters are in, I'd expect them as DLC, being limited to Baby, SS4 Goku/Gogeta and Omega only.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Doctor. wrote:
You could also just give him some of the Kid Gohan moveset too, cause really why not? I'm sure Gotenks will be considered before Goten and Trunks as honestly....that's basically all they are good for anyways....
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:47 pm

So who are the notable hero fighters not confirmed so far?

- Ultimate Gohan (although he's a shoe-in)
- Vegito (very likely, but I think they'll go with the SSJ version not Blue)
- Gotenks (maybe)
- Kid Trunks and Goten (I can see them as a tag team)
- Tenshinhan
- Yamcha
- Roshi
- Satan
- Videl

Of that list I think maybe 5 at most will make it in.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:51 pm

precita wrote:So who are the notable hero fighters not confirmed so far?

- Gotenks (maybe)
- Tenshinhan
- Yamcha
- Roshi
- Satan
- Videl

Does Beerus count?

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:59 pm

precita wrote:So who are the notable hero fighters not confirmed so far?

- Gotenks (maybe)
- Tenshinhan
- Yamcha
- Roshi
- Satan
- Videl

I don't think Ultimate Gohan is a shoe-in at all.