"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:31 am

Kataphrut wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Kataphrut wrote: But now I'm wondering if they'll actually commit to the "canon/Super only" rule and go with Kale instead of Broly. It sounds crazy at first, but starts to sound more likely the more I think about it.
When was it said they were ONLY looking at manga and Super characters?
Where is your source?
I've watched interviews with Tomoko Hiroki and she never dismissed GT.
http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/10/kayane- ... form-play/
My "source" is the current roster.

Of course the producer wouldn't rule anything out in an interview. As I said, the DLC could easily be where movie and GT stuff comes in. I just think it's interesting that none of it is in the default roster. Not even Broly, who is usually a given. It says something about the angle they're going for with the game: modern (meaning post-Battle of Gods) look and setting, combined with an emphasis on being faithful to the original manga first and foremost. That's why you get things like Goku's facial expression in the dramatic finish for beating Freeza on Namek resembling the sorrowful look of the manga more than the straight-up anger of the anime.

It's not an explicit rule, but it is noticeable. The only real glaring exception is Gohan's Family Kamehameha and some minor nods to anime-only material in movesets and costumes. Like Vegeta's alternate skin based on the Arlian colours for example.
That doesn't mean anything. Someone told me that Gohan even says something like that "since I've defeated the LSSJ, I feel like I can protect the earth." but I haven't seen this quote yet.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:01 am

Kataphrut wrote: But now I'm wondering if they'll actually commit to the "canon/Super only" rule and go with Kale instead of Broly.
Xenoverse didn't and Heroes is all over the place with existing and original characters so why would this game stick to the "canon" rule when it doesn't have to and when there's money to be made off those other characters ?

If they did some kind of study and it showed that Broly would be bought by 70% of the people who bought the game while Kale by 60%, who do you think they'll make if they could just make one ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:05 am

+ C-21 is also not canon, so whats the big deal. Why should the game stick to the canon rule? thats the most stupid thing I have ever heard, this is just a game.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:41 am

sintzu wrote:
Kataphrut wrote: But now I'm wondering if they'll actually commit to the "canon/Super only" rule and go with Kale instead of Broly.
Xenoverse didn't and Heroes is all over the place with existing and original characters so why would this game stick to the "canon" rule when it doesn't have to and when there's money to be made off those other characters ?

If they did some kind of study and it showed that Broly would be bought by 70% of the people who bought the game while Kale by 60%, who do you think they'll make if they could just make one ?
BrolyKale wrote:+ C-21 is also not canon, so whats the big deal. Why should the game stick to the canon rule? thats the most stupid thing I have ever heard, this is just a game.
Tough crowd, aye?

I'm just going by what the game has shown us so far, that's all. It isn't up to me or anyone else. I'm just putting forth the argument that the game is going for a more restrained approach that lines up with a very specific canon, as opposed to the grab-bag approach of stuff like Xenoverse, Heroes or Tenkaichi. Yes, it's got an original story with an original villain, but having Android 21 isn't the same as having movie characters. If anything, having an original story is an argument to stick to a basic canon and not have supplementary elements getting in the way. Previous Dragon Ball games could get away with it because they were big on what-ifs and "alternate timelines" when they weren't just going Raditz to Buu. We don't know much about FighterZ's story, but apart from the weird fourth-wall breaking elements, it does seem like something that's meant to be taken seriously as it's own storyline. Optional of course, but not off in another world like Xenoverse.

The reason I posed the Kale/Broly question is because there are a lot of factors to consider and I don't actually know the answer. On the one hand, Broly has been reliably bankable for years and is a fixture of the games. Putting him in would be a no-brainer. On the other hand, Super is the current money-spinner and it's fresh enough that getting to play as those characters is still a marketable novelty, especially ones from the latest arc. It would be a tough call to put them both in a game with such a limited roster, so a decision has to be made. The reason I'm starting to lean toward Kale is because of the precedent set by the base roster; it has Super characters, but no movie characters, not even the no-brainer.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:50 am

I really felt like by context, it was insanely obvious that Kata was merely going by observation that they might not be touching movies/GT based on the roster so far. To drag this out in a bunch of NUH-UH UR RONGs feels childish.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 am

BrolyKale wrote:+ C-21 is also not canon, so whats the big deal. Why should the game stick to the canon rule? thats the most stupid thing I have ever heard, this is just a game.
Although it fits with the Toriyama-continuity, unlike the older movies, or GT which had movie characters in.
However the DLC characters wouldn't need to fit in the story mode, because that's complete now, they can choose anyone without fitting in, and many of the movie villains make sense gameplay-wise, because their moveset/gimmick is unique compared to the rest of the current cast.
For example the game doesn't have a really large and slow character with tons of super armored moves yet, and Brolly (or even Magetta, but that's less likely) could be the perfect candidate for that. If we compare it to Marvel, Android 16 is Zangief, and Brolly could be the Juggernaut of the game.
For those who are not familiar with super armor: it's a mechanic in fighting games when a character needs more then 1 hit to get into hitstun. For example Juggernaut can do a heavy punch, and even if the opponent punches him once while he does it, Juggernaut will still finish his attack and hit the opponent. This is something that could fit perfectly with Brolly's tank-like attributes.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:07 am

I think it wasn't posted here before. Part of Android 21's intro anim:
https://twitter.com/DaTruthDT/status/954496584481419264

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:50 am

Kataphrut wrote:
It's not an explicit rule, but it is noticeable. The only real glaring exception is Gohan's Family Kamehameha and some minor nods to anime-only material in movesets and costumes. Like Vegeta's alternate skin based on the Arlian colours for example.
There's also Trunks' move that is an homage to how he killed Android 15.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Tough crowd, aye?

I'm just going by what the game has shown us so far, that's all. It isn't up to me or anyone else. I'm just putting forth the argument that the game is going for a more restrained approach that lines up with a very specific canon, as opposed to the grab-bag approach of stuff like Xenoverse, Heroes or Tenkaichi. Yes, it's got an original story with an original villain, but having Android 21 isn't the same as having movie characters. If anything, having an original story is an argument to stick to a basic canon and not have supplementary elements getting in the way. Previous Dragon Ball games could get away with it because they were big on what-ifs and "alternate timelines" when they weren't just going Raditz to Buu. We don't know much about FighterZ's story, but apart from the weird fourth-wall breaking elements, it does seem like something that's meant to be taken seriously as it's own storyline. Optional of course, but not off in another world like Xenoverse.

The reason I posed the Kale/Broly question is because there are a lot of factors to consider and I don't actually know the answer. On the one hand, Broly has been reliably bankable for years and is a fixture of the games. Putting him in would be a no-brainer. On the other hand, Super is the current money-spinner and it's fresh enough that getting to play as those characters is still a marketable novelty, especially ones from the latest arc. It would be a tough call to put them both in a game with such a limited roster, so a decision has to be made. The reason I'm starting to lean toward Kale is because of the precedent set by the base roster; it has Super characters, but no movie characters, not even the no-brainer.
Personally I would prefer Kale because the roster has become predictable over the years and there’s tons of Super characters that I would like to play as. Broly would be cool in Fighterz for sure... but I have played Broly in like every game since Budokai 3.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:48 pm

I understand where Kataphrut is coming from but I disagree that the approach is to stick to "canon" characters. I say it's more of a way to deal with a limited roster, the need for diversity(play-style wise), marketing demands(Blue Saiyans probably) and people's expectations, because contrary to other more recent games this one can't go ham and insert every movie grunt with a generic ki blast attack just because.

This roster was build with the DLC in mind. They avoided putting characters people will be angry about outside the game. Which character would feel better about having as DLC Goku Black or Broly? Not having Broly in the main game makes people sad, not having Goku Black would bring pitchforks.

There's a certain entitlement people give to characters that are in the main story and Arc Systems knows this very well. Pretty sure that's part of the reason we have no gag characters, they don't want to upset nobody. There's also those, like myself, that want important characters of the story and who would question Broly above characters like Yamcha for example. Even with all this they couldn't avoid a few snuffs like Raditz, Dabra and Super Boo.

Like I repeated a bunch of times before I don't expect GT characters, maybe SSJ4 Gogeta. Really depends on a bunch of factors, although I'm pretty sure Jiren, Broly and one version of the Saiyan girls will be in.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Jiren and Broly are definitely gonna appear down the line, probably SS4 Gogeta too since he would fullfil the GT and SS4 criteria all in one.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:21 pm

KayDash wrote:I think it wasn't posted here before. Part of Android 21's intro anim:
https://twitter.com/DaTruthDT/status/954496584481419264
She looks so unique before she transforms. :(
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:25 pm

LightBing wrote:I understand where Kataphrut is coming from but I disagree that the approach is to stick to "canon" characters. I say it's more of a way to deal with a limited roster, the need for diversity(play-style wise), marketing demands(Blue Saiyans probably) and people's expectations, because contrary to other more recent games this one can't go ham and insert every movie grunt with a generic ki blast attack just because.

This roster was build with the DLC in mind. They avoided putting characters people will be angry about outside the game. Which character would feel better about having as DLC Goku Black or Broly? Not having Broly in the main game makes people sad, not having Goku Black would bring pitchforks.

There's a certain entitlement people give to characters that are in the main story and Arc Systems knows this very well. Pretty sure that's part of the reason we have no gag characters, they don't want to upset nobody. There's also those, like myself, that want important characters of the story and who would question Broly above characters like Yamcha for example. Even with all this they couldn't avoid a few snuffs like Raditz, Dabra and Super Boo.

Like I repeated a bunch of times before I don't expect GT characters, maybe SSJ4 Gogeta. Really depends on a bunch of factors, although I'm pretty sure Jiren, Broly and one version of the Saiyan girls will be in.
Agreed, but if the DLC isn't comprised of heavily-requested characters, the chances of a purchase are lessened. Don't get me wrong, I am really happy with the roster, but I can't help but wonder what characters will be DLC which will make the community go 'man, I gotta pay for that guy/gal!!'

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:41 am

So, this is Android 21's level 3.

https://twitter.com/Raflagan/status/954816292321669121

Oh my. That's, ahh...that's something.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:05 am

With all that's leaked out in this game about 21 so far how do we still not know just who and/or what the hell she is.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:01 am

Kataphrut wrote:So, this is Android 21's level 3.

https://twitter.com/Raflagan/status/954816292321669121
What a weird fetish.

I wonder how all these Android 21 videos got leaked out, while it didn't happened to any other character...

EDIT: So it seems someone had an early copy and streamed it on twitch:
https://streamable.com/uolyx

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:45 am

Story mode ending

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwi7goQO2qs

This only raises more questions

Why are there two of her (good/evil?)
Who was that that she put inside 18?
Who let that really bad typo slip past them? (Goku died a "coule" of times?!)[/spoiler]

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:19 am

Apparently there's...
[spoiler]Good and evil version of her. I bet at some point of the story she will split, just how Fat Buu created Evil Buu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R__kvHJmUB4[/spoiler]

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 am

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:47 am

Kinda depressing that #21 seems just like a token fetish character to appeal to the otaku that are inevitably going to buy this game.