"DragonBall Kai Soundtrack 3" tracks + sound sample analysis

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

"DragonBall Kai Soundtrack 3" tracks + sound sample analysis

Post by kenisu3000 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:13 pm

Amazon Japan has the full tracklisting up for the upcoming third Kai OST. I've gone ahead and translated it:

DRAGONBALL KAI SOUNDTRACK III & SONGS

1. DragonBall Kai ~Title~
ドラゴンボール改~タイトル~

2. Premonition Of A Grand Adventure
大冒険の予感

3. Dragon Soul (TV-size) (Opening Theme)
Dragon Soul (TV-size) (オープニング・テーマ)

4. DragonBall Kai ~Subtitle~
ドラゴンボール改~サブタイトル~

5. Frantic Cover
必死の援護

6. "Mystery"
「謎」

7. A New Foe Rears His Head
新たな敵の出現

8. Creature Of Marvel
奇怪な生物

9. The Lone Warrior
たったひとりの戦士

10. The Fierce Battle
熾烈な闘い

11. The Ebb And The Flow
一進一退

12. Ominous Silence ~Bukimi na Shizukesa~
Ominous Silence~不気味な静けさ~

13. My 18th Magic

14. The Curtain Rises On The Battle ~Long Version~
戦いの幕開け ~ロング・バージョン~

15. Symphonic "Transformation"
交響曲「変身」

16. A Grim Fate
悲壮な運命

17. Satan's Song And Dance
サタンの舞曲

18. News Of The Cell Game
セルゲームのお知らせ

19. Heroic Face-off
壮絶な対決

20. Piano Suite "Waking Up"
ピアノ組曲「覚醒」

21. One Hit To Victory
勝利への一撃

22. The Rebirth Of Shen Long
神龍の復活

23. A Wondrous Phenomenon
不可思議な現象

24. Courage Fills The Heart
込み上げる勇気

25. The Victor's Dance
勝者のダンス

26. The Joy Turns To Silence
喜びは静かに

27. Transient Peace
つかの間の平穏

28. Wings Of The Heart (TV-size) (Ending Theme)
心の羽根 (TV-size) (エンディング・テーマ)

29. Next Episode Preview ("Wings Of the Heart" Ver.)
次回予告 (「心の羽根」ver.)

What intrigues me most here is track 14. "The Curtain Rises On The Battle" happens to be the name of track 22 on the first Kai OST, and at 30-some odd seconds, it's surprisingly short considering the other pieces it stands up against. It'll be interesting to hear what the long version sounds like.

UPDATE: The CD has come out today (well, yesterday in Japan, technically) and CD Japan now has sound samples for the tracks. So let's take a look at each track and identify them according to how they're named on my site:

5. Frantic Cover is Fatal Miscalculation, the (friggin' awesome) music that first plays when Goku goes Super Saiyan in front of Nos. 19 and 20.

6. "Mystery" is Comeuppance Is Imminent, a common track that first plays when the Z-warriors are in shock over Trunks' new ki readings after slashing down Freeza's minions.

7. A New Foe Rears His Head is Dead Man Walking, which is first used when Kuririn and Gohan fly to the site where Freeza and Cold are going to land.

8. Creature Of Marvel is Oily Blood, the techno theme which first plays when Nos. 19 and 20 wreak havoc upon hapless innocents.

9. The Lone Warrior is Trunks' image song.

10. The Fierce Battle is Super Saiyan Vengeance, first used when Trunks goes Super Saiyan in front of Freeza and Cold.

11. The Ebb And The Flow is Asunder, the Avatar ripoff - err, piece that plays when Trunks kills Freeza.

12. Ominous Silence ~Bukimi na Shizukesa~ is Desolation Of Ignorance, first used at the beginning of episode 56, as Trunks and Freeza exchange boasts.

13. My 18th Magic is No. 18's image song.

14. The Curtain Rises On The Battle ~Long Version~ is, as the name implies, an extended version of track 22 from OST 1, which has yet to be used in the series.

15. Symphonic "Transformation" is Space Flotsam, the very first new piece of music we hear in episode 55.

16. A Grim Fate is A Troubled Heart, which plays when Gohan realizes his dad's heart condition is what's causing him to lose the battle against No. 19.

17. Satan's Song And Dance hasn't been used in the series yet. It's... sort of this goofy... well, you'll just have to hear it.

18. News Of The Cell Game is Cell's image song.

19. Heroic Face-off is Trunks' Valor, which plays when he confronts King Cold after killing Freeza.

20. Piano Suite "Waking Up" hasn't been used in the series yet. It might just be an instrumental "image" song for the CD.

21. One Hit To Victory also hasn't appeared in the episodes yet.

22. The Rebirth Of Shen Long is another new one. Bears somewhat of a resemblance to A Divine Allure, track 22 on OST 2.

23. A Wondrous Phenomenon is Into The Unknown, which plays when the Z-warriors follow this mysterious purple-haired kid they know nothing about. A pretty harp piece, though from the sample I can't tell if it's a real harp or a synthesized one.

24. Courage Fills The Heart is new as well.

25. The Victor's Dance is In Three Years' Time..., one of my favorites. It plays during a training montage as the Z-warriors prepare for the Artificial Humans.

26. The Joy Turns To Silence is Try Harder, which is most notably used when Bulma begins to show concern for Vegeta.

27. Transient Peace is a new one.

29. Next Episode Preview ("Wings Of the Heart" Ver.): There's no sound sample for this one, but it's obvious which one this is.

What bothers me is that Freeza's Plan Of Revenge doesn't seem to be present on this disc. Creature Of Marvel is a sort of remix of it, and that makes me wonder if it's included on that track, or if it's scrapped in favor of what they consider the "better" version...? Or if it'll show up on OST 4...? Or if it's a part of one of the "new" tracks that isn't heard in the 45-second samples...? There I go again, analyzing things.
Last edited by kenisu3000 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: "DragonBall Kai Soundtrack 3 & Songs" tracklist (translated)

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:43 pm

The Rebirth of Shen Long? Is that a piece written for when Dende becomes Earth's God? O.o
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:15 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The Rebirth of Shen Long? Is that a piece written for when Dende becomes Earth's God? O.o
That's certainly my guess. Also note that there's already a piece for Mr. Satan. I'm guessing they've been holding out with the new(er) stuff until we get to these specific scenes in the series.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:20 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:The Rebirth of Shen Long? Is that a piece written for when Dende becomes Earth's God? O.o
That's certainly my guess. Also note that there's already a piece for Mr. Satan. I'm guessing they've been holding out with the new(er) stuff until we get to these specific scenes in the series.
Ah, I missed that on first glance.

Oh man, track 15...c-could that be...?!
She/Her
bisexual milf

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Finally! A track listing. And only 5 days before it's relea-... Wait a sec. Japan is a day ahead of the US, so I guess that makes 4. Sheesh. :roll:

Anyway, let's see...

Tracks 1-4 and 28-29 are all obvious. We all know which ones are the character songs.

Anyone wanna speculate what the rest of the tracks are gonna be?

Edit: I've noticed that the eyecatch jingles aren't included this time around. Not that I'm complaining, but it does seem strange that they leave them out and yet still include the title, recap, subtitle, etc. themes.
-Joey

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks for the translation!

Lots of tracks are intriguing, and it would hint that some tracks included in this OST haven't been used until now. Maybe we'll discover tracks we've never heard before in the CD. We'll actually hear them on the CD BEFORE we hear them on the show, that'll be weird, but all the better, I don't want to wait to have more tracks! :)

I just hope some selling website will post previews of the song so that we can hear what they're like quickly.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:35 pm

I'm not really interesting in Kai's score, but thanks for putting this out there!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:36 am

Guys, don't judge too fast with the titles. It is possible that mister Yamamoto named the tracks thinking of a specific scene and that the anime staff choosing the music will not use it for that scene in the end. For example, when I see Piano Suite WAKING UP, the only "waking up" I can think of is Goku waking up after his long heart disease. However, the song played during that scene was the orchestral version of Dragon Soul.

So, don't take for granted that Symphonic TRANSFORMATION or The Rebirth of Shenron will be used in the scenes you might think of, we have no proof of that I guess.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:30 pm

kenisu3000 wrote: What intrigues me most here is track 14. "The Curtain Rises On The Battle" happens to be the name of track 22 on the first Kai OST, and at 30-some odd seconds, it's surprisingly short considering the other pieces it stands up against. It'll be interesting to hear what the long version sounds like.
What I find intriguing is track 12. The Japanese part of its title is the same as the title of OST vol. 2's track 13, 不気味な静けさ. I wonder if those pieces are related somehow. Then again, naming it "Ominous Silence ~不気味な静けさ~" could just be to distinguish it from "不気味な静けさ". Either way, it'll be interesting to hear. :D
-Joey

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:16 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
kenisu3000 wrote: What intrigues me most here is track 14. "The Curtain Rises On The Battle" happens to be the name of track 22 on the first Kai OST, and at 30-some odd seconds, it's surprisingly short considering the other pieces it stands up against. It'll be interesting to hear what the long version sounds like.
What I find intriguing is track 12. The Japanese part of its title is the same as the title of OST vol. 2's track 13, 不気味な静けさ. I wonder if those pieces are related somehow. Then again, naming it "Ominous Silence ~不気味な静けさ~" could just be to distinguish it from "不気味な静けさ". Either way, it'll be interesting to hear. :D
Oh wow, thanks for pointing that out! I completely forgot the Japanese title of "An Eerie Stillness" was "Bukimi na Shizukesa"! Now I wonder how on earth I could reflect the relationship between the two tracks in the translation ("Ominous Silence ~An Eerie Stillness~" is still redundant in meaning, but...).

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:22 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:
jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
Oh wow, thanks for pointing that out! I completely forgot the Japanese title of "An Eerie Stillness" was "Bukimi na Shizukesa"! Now I wonder how on earth I could reflect the relationship between the two tracks in the translation ("Ominous Silence ~An Eerie Stillness~" is still redundant in meaning, but...).
I think just plain "Ominous Silence" is good enough. The two parts of the title mean the same thing anyway. And besides, at least this way, there's a clear distinction between the tracks when referring to them by their English-translated titles.
-Joey

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "DragonBall Kai Soundtrack 3" tracks + sound sample analysis

Post by kenisu3000 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Now that the CD has come out, there are sound samples up on CD Japan. I've given them a listen, and edited my opening post to identify what's what. Give it a read!

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:38 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:Now that the CD has come out, there are sound samples up on CD Japan. I've given them a listen, and edited my opening post to identify what's what. Give it a read!
I just went to CD Japan to listen to the smaples. I enjoyed them a lot. Also, I ordered the CD just yesterday.
-Joey

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:06 pm

Well the anime tracks are nice and cool. But the real deals are the char-songs.

Cell's track was really something. The singer sounds like mr. Despair (Don't know if anyone watches Zetsubou Sensei??). The music sounded maniacal in a fun way. Which describes Cell perfectly. I mean in the show he definitely "sounds" like he's having fun. Woooohoooo. :mrgreen:

Android 18 or Hachigou....is now starring the melancholy of Hachi-chan. What was that ?!
Considering 18's character, voice and "HIStory"...

What I expected:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKV195eXg7I
What I got:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kv3mMK7EP8
I am disappoint.....buuuuutt it's still kinda cute. :wink:

I just can't do it. Goshdarnit it's Trunks!....he...singing. After hearing what they did to 18 I'm too afraid....It just has to be great. Or else nothing matters....can anyone listen to it for me ? :(

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:08 pm

Track 21's opening reminds me a lot of the piece that begins to play when the Enterprise is trying to escape the black hole in Star Trek. O.o
She/Her
bisexual milf

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:39 pm

Ahiru77 wrote:I just can't do it. Goshdarnit it's Trunks!....he...singing. After hearing what they did to 18 I'm too afraid....It just has to be great. Or else nothing matters....can anyone listen to it for me ? :(
Just listen to it. In my opinion, Trunks' song is the best of the three char-songs. It's nothing like No. 18's song. Trust me. :wink:
-Joey

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:49 pm

I'm surprised there was enough new music to fill a third OST.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:55 pm

penguintruth wrote:I'm surprised there was enough new music to fill a third OST.
I'm surprised people actually bought the first two OSTs.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:08 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I'm surprised there was enough new music to fill a third OST.
I'm surprised people actually bought the first two OSTs.
In my opinion, the music is more enjoyable on the CDs than in the actual show. :P
Last edited by jpdbzrulz4sure on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Joey

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:22 pm

Ahiru77 wrote:Cell's track was really something. The singer sounds like mr. Despair (Don't know if anyone watches Zetsubou Sensei??). The music sounded maniacal in a fun way. Which describes Cell perfectly. I mean in the show he definitely "sounds" like he's having fun. Woooohoooo. :mrgreen:

Android 18 or Hachigou....is now starring the melancholy of Hachi-chan. What was that ?!
Considering 18's character, voice and "HIStory"...

What I expected:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKV195eXg7I
What I got:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kv3mMK7EP8
I am disappoint.....buuuuutt it's still kinda cute. :wink:
Kenji Otsuki DID sing Cell's song. And you seem to think that Aya Hirano sung No. 18's song, but it was actually Kanon Yamamoto (AKA cAnON.).
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."