Opinions on Pieces of Music - V2!

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

Opinions on Pieces of Music - V2!

Post by Gonstead » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:37 am

Here's an old topic I'm bringing back from the dead!

State your opinions on the piece of Dragon Ball music designated by the above poster.

Here's the starter - M1314
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Opinions on Pieces of Music - V2!

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Cool, I loved that old thread. :D

As for the piece, definitely one of my favorite menacing tracks in DBZ. It's awesome in its original context (10 billion Coolas :shock: ), but I tend to associate it more with Cell, as it's played in so many of his scenes, and just works so well with him.

Next up: M1710 (the first piece in the video). It's actually the one I left on my last post in the original thread.
-Joey

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:52 pm

Quite the lullaby! I love this slower version of this song, reminds me of an old lowered-tempo Dan Dan remix I was a huge fan of way back when.

Next up: M424 A song I have raved about for years, and my favorite true BGM piece, and arguably the most epic of the entire show.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:22 pm

SSj_Rambo, I have always loved that track. It has always reminded me of Carmina Burana. Very fitting for the death of Piccolo in the Saiyan arc and the death of Vegeta in the Freeza arc. Very dramatic and melancholy. It just might be the most epic soundtrack of the entire show.

Next up: Grand Finale ~Mysterious Power~. Definitely a different kind of track by Dragon Ball standards.
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Yes, very different by DB's standards, but very dramatic and epic, with a lot of emotion, and it just worked so well when Goku obliterated Black after watching him destroy #8 in DB movie 4.

Next up: M1413, Vegeta's theme from DBZ movie 7.
-Joey

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:37 am

Interesting piece, although its particular usage of brass instruments makes it sound like the score of an old Hanna-Barbera cartoon. I don't know what it is about Kikuchi's music that makes it sound dated to me, but I'm fairly sure it has a lot to do with the arrangements. The uneven pitch on that guitar may also contribute.

Next up: The Makyo Star Always enjoyed this one.
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:37 am

At the beginning, it sounds like the score to a low-budget 80s action film where the hero is a loose cannon and his partner is killed one day before retirement and he's out for brutal revenge. And towards the end it sounds like the music of a straight-to-video Matrix ripoff. The very, very beginning has a nice build-up at least.

I don't know what it is about Faulconer's score that makes it seem like an insincere echo of bad action films scores. Must be the arrangements. The annoying pumping of electronic sounds doesn't help.

M1613 is a favorite of mine.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:18 am

I like this one. Very menacing and you can tell by listening to it that some shit's about to go down. Man, movie 9's score is definitely some of Kikuchi's best work for DBZ.

Next up: M928.
-Joey

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:22 am

Has a very harmonic, innocent sound to it. My only problem with it is that it's too short for it's own good.

Here's some Mark Menza GT - Episode Recap Theme
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Not a bad piece of music overall. My primary criticism of Menza's music is that it's even less ostentatious than both Kikuchi and Johnson. His music is mostly rhythm-based as opposed to melodic, and the BGM is consequently devoid of both distinctiveness and character. There's nothing wrong with the arrangement or the use of live guitar; this music merely has no ambition. One positive point I can draw attention to is its intermittent similarity to Spencer Nilsen's score for Sonic CD at certain points.

Namek Theme
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

—Frieza

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:26 pm

Not a bad piece. Has nice atmosphere and works pretty nicely in peaceful moments.

Next: M1016
-Joey

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Good piece. I like the harmony in that song. It's also very calming. A nice piece to relax too.

Next: M802

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Another track I really like. Suspenseful, and works fantastically when used towards the end of an episode, though it's also cool in its original usage in DBZ movie 1.

Next: M801
-Joey

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Lukewarm and tense. Perhaps suited to a scene involving stealthy perambulation? I'm unsure as to the precise context, but that's what I envision while listening to the piece. Either way, it's suitably atmospheric.

This one is an arrangement from the fan game ZEQ2Lite. Spirit
—Frieza

—Frieza

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:26 am

Pretty cool. I like the composition and arrangement overall, but I think it'd be even better with orchestral elements (though perhaps with some clean guitar mixed in) for the melody, and just have the distorted guitars be used for the rhythm/chord progression, or something like that.

That's just me, though.

Next: M116
-Joey

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Classic example of a great piece from Dragon Ball. Very joyful and upbeat. I like how the song seems to get more upbeat as the song goes on. Fits the scenes involving Chi Chi as a kid during Dragon Ball.

Next: Off To A New World (GT BGM #62)

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Always loved that one. The intro really gets you pumped for what's coming, and the meat of the piece utilizes the GT Heroics Theme (at least, that's what I call that particular leitmotif) to awesome heroic effect.

People have been picking a lot of my favorites, but I guess this one's still up for grabs: M1614 (Enter Bojack)
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Another great piece. Love how it starts really dark and creepy, and builds up into a more dramatic tone. Overall well suited for a main villain making his first appearance. To this day, I wonder why this piece never made it on any OST releases.

Next: M1023
-Joey

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:09 am

Not bad, honestly. The choir and melody coalesce to engender an atmospheric, almost mysterious landscape. I genuinely like it, so kudos to fans of the Japanese score.

Kid Buu
—Frieza

—Frieza

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:01 am

Composition-wise, it's okay overall, but I can't say I'm particularly fond of the synth guitar, or whatever that buzzing noise is. The choral parts were pretty nice though, especially at the end.

Next: M2026
-Joey