Do you have high expectation for the Boo Arc Kai New BGM

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Do you have high expectation for the Boo Arc Kai New BGM

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:11 am

Do anyone have the name of the composer of the BOo Arc Kai? I forgot it. If I could have a sample piece of his music it would be nice. Did he composer for BoG as well? Or it's a new composer for Dragonball? I know this is a topic of expectation but I need to know more about the person or hear sample music before I set it. If someone knows the person's name can you please set an expectation. Thanks.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you have high expectation for the Boo Arc Kai New BGM

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:35 am

I don't care that much about the new score since Dbz Kai is destroyed as it is now with the horrible placement of the old Kikuchi score.

Therefore, Buu Saga is my less favourite saga because it does not have very much drama in it so I don't care too much about the music.

If Norihito Sumitomo (Battle of Gods) is the composer of the Buu arc, I would like him to focus more on those 80's style bgms of his.

Eitherway my favourites sagas have already been destroyed so I will care less about the Buu arc.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:02 am

I disagree that the Kikuchi music is misplaced. Most of the time it's quite well placed. It's just a lot of bitter feelings from fans of the Yamamoto score.

I wish Kikuchi would compose some new music. But it'll probably be the Battle of Gods composer, with his excessive use of Latin chanting.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:24 am

penguintruth wrote:I disagree that the Kikuchi music is misplaced. Most of the time it's quite well placed. It's just a lot of bitter feelings from fans of the Yamamoto score.

I wish Kikuchi would compose some new music. But it'll probably be the Battle of Gods composer, with his excessive use of Latin chanting.
Kikuchi was well placed but too repetitive.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:24 pm

His Name is Norihito Sumitomo, he's not so famous as a composer, but he's great.

Check this out, it's from his "Asura" Score. His style is a little bit like Joe Hisaishi's. Listen to it to the end there's actually two pieces in this track.

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/rQdxdC8j/22_ ... _ver_.html

This is more tender sounding, a the same theme but another arrangment, it's beautiful.

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/-MBxmHmC/21_ ... _ver_.html

BTW those aren't the real names lol I had trouble translating them.

If he can pull that off in Buu Saga, I will be the happiest Dbz Fan ever. This score has a somewhat "Princess Mononoke Vibe".
Last edited by Black_Liger on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:25 pm

Black_Liger wrote:His Name is Norihito Sumitomo, he's not so famous as a composer, but he's great.

Check this out, it's from his "Asura" Score. His style is a little bit like Joe Hisaishi's.

If he can pull that off in Buu Saga, I will be the happiest Dbz Fan ever.
YES! This is better than BoG!

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:30 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:His Name is Norihito Sumitomo, he's not so famous as a composer, but he's great.

Check this out, it's from his "Asura" Score. His style is a little bit like Joe Hisaishi's.

Check again, I put another sample. It's clearly better, this guy has talent!. Maybe the sound director didn't gave him much freedom for BoG score...

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:40 pm

Black_Liger wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:

Check again, I put another sample. It's clearly better, this guy has talent!. Maybe the sound director didn't gave him much freedom for BoG score...
Compare to his BoG scores he's "Kami". What the hell did the sound director do to him!? To me the BoG score was shitty.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:49 pm

Beats me man, Maybe they really wanted his music to only "fill in". I can tell the orchestration is just like the Asura movie, but the compositions themselves are very different, You can tell he can do better by listening to "Chala Head Cha La (peaceful earth)" and "Mortal combat with a god". Sound directors are really screwing dragon ball since Kai x(

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:57 pm

penguintruth wrote: But it'll probably be the Battle of Gods composer, with his excessive use of Latin chanting.
I go weak at the knees for Latin chants. I can picture Vegeta's sacrifice now and hear the most dramatic piece of music filled with haunting chants as the blast goes off.

Tears...tears will be shed.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:01 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
penguintruth wrote: But it'll probably be the Battle of Gods composer, with his excessive use of Latin chanting.
I go weak at the knees for Latin chants. I can picture Vegeta's sacrifice now and hear the most dramatic piece of music filled with haunting chants as the blast goes off.

Tears...tears will be shed.

Yeah... people really need to realize dbz is not giving those 60's kung fu movies vibes anymore, it's full of demons, gods and realms. Atleast they stepped up with the chants.... and if you know their meaning it's even better... oh Dear Lord Them chills...

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:09 pm

These are the Last ones I'll post to take away any doubt in Buu Saga's soundtrack (Hope the sound direction is better for that one).

Inside the mind : (I can easily picture Goku transforming to Super Saiyan 3 with this one).

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/r5vqZT6L/03_ ... _Mind.html

Rain of the Heart: Perfect for Sad or suspenseful moments. I would die if they charged the spirit bomb to something like this, this one also has a certain GOKUDEN feel in it's orchestration. It's very nostalgical, Sad, Hopeful. I don't know.)

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/pOh1O5dJ/12_ ... Heart.html

The Asura score is amazing, one of the best I've heard, it's also Theme-heavy how I like it!.

Feel free to edit a video of the buu saga scenes with this music!. For educational purposes only :P

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:20 am

I hope it'll still be orchestral, but a somewhat different take from what Kikuchi and Yamamoto produced. I actually like the idea of a new score, it'll be good incentive for me to watch the new Kai episodes as they come out.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:49 am

Black_Liger wrote:Feel free to edit a video of the buu saga scenes with this music!. For educational purposes only :P
I used the former one in my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4-PtD1APwU

By the way, Asura's score wasn't entirely done by Sumitomo. He composed only tracks 3, 4, 7, 12, and 15.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:34 pm

kei17 wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:Feel free to edit a video of the buu saga scenes with this music!. For educational purposes only :P
I used the former one in my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4-PtD1APwU

By the way, Asura's score wasn't entirely done by Sumitomo. He composed only tracks 3, 4, 7, 12, and 15.
Funny, I thought he was really the main composer, but I think he's the orchestrator. The orchestrations sounds a lot like BoG.

Anyways atleast he composed some of my favorites tracks. That video was awesome! i loved when "the legendary god" started playing.... o.O t'was great!!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:19 pm

I'll have to wait but I have low expectations for it because Toei Animation hasn't given Kai a good treatment ever since after Freeza's arc, Kikuchi's repetitive score only made it worse alongside with the unsatisfying picture quality (for DVD it's fine but BD? Nope).

I concur they placed Kikuchi's music correctly but doesn't hide the fact that it was very repetitive.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:01 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Kikuchi was well placed but too repetitive.
Twelve episodes in, I actually find its use of the Kikuchi score less repetitive than either Z or the Yamamoto version of Kai. I know they aren't working from his full library, which is a shame, and some of the use of character themes is missed (the Saiyan theme and Cell's theme are just used when the fuck ever, for example), but overall having access to the breadth of his tracks that they do from the very beginning has really improved the show, in my opinion. I'm really enjoying it with Kikuchi, but I always found it kind of unwatchable with Yamamoto.

Which, actually, is why I'm sort of nervous about a new composer coming in for the Boo arc. I hope his material isn't as repetitive or generic as what we got with Yamamoto. If anything, I'd really prefer they just obtain the rights to more Kikuchi tracks and use those.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Cipher wrote:I'd really prefer they just obtain the rights to more Kikuchi tracks and use those.
Can someone explain this "rights" case? From where this information came? I think that Nippon Columbia owns entire Kikuchi score. Let's face some facts:
1. Nippon Columbia didn't produce stereo masters for all tracks.
2. Toei Animation used only stereo tracks from soundtracks CDs (They are lazy? Kai is too cheap show?)
3. Toei Animation is licensing and selling Dragon Ball series with entire Kikuchi score over entire world - How it is possible that they don't have rights to this music?

This is epic series which is one of the most popular shows worldwide, and there is no possibility to get information about such things... I will never understand this...

I wanted to write big letter regarding BGM to Columbia/Toei, but as you all see, my English is like Orange Bricks - complete disaster. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no interest in this music, if it comes to doing something. Without any help, It will take a year to compose something in proper English, but I don't care. I will definitely do this. By last couple of years I gathered many arguments and I think that if I will manage to write it in proper English (or Japanese :lol: ), I will convince them to release full Dragon Ball Background Music Collection. I've grew up with this series, and this music is, in my opinion, 60% of characteristic Dragon Ball atmosphere. Soundtrack itself is super epic masterpiece - the greatest sound that ever came to my ears. I don't know how, but I will dig up all this music from Columbia basement - this is a matter of honor for me.

By now, does someone have some official information about this music? Why Toei didn't ask Columbia for producing stereo masters of entire soundtrack?

(excuse my bad English - I hope that my post is understandable :roll: )
Last edited by Kojiro Sasaki on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:24 am

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
Cipher wrote:I'd really prefer they just obtain the rights to more Kikuchi tracks and use those.
Can someone explain this "rights" case? From where this information came? I think that Nippon Columbia owns entire Kikuchi score. Let's face some facts:
1. Nippon Columbia didn't produce stereo masters for all tracks.
2. Toei Animation used only stereo tracks from soundtracks CDs (They are lazy? Kai is too cheap show?)
3. Toei Animation is licensing and selling Dragon Ball series with entire Kikuchi score over entire world - How it is possible that they don't have rights to this music?

This is epic series which is one of the most popular shows worldwide, and there is no possibility to get information about such things... I will never understand this...

I wanted to write big letter regarding BGM to Columbia/Toei, but as you all see, my English is like Orange Bricks - complete disaster. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no interest in this music, if it comes to doing something. Without any help, It will take a year to compose something in proper English, but I don't care. I will definitely do this. By last couple of years I gathered many arguments and I think that if I will manage to write it in proper English (or Japanese :lol: ), I will convince them to release full Dragon Ball Background Music Collection. I've grow up with this series, and this music is, in my opinion, 60% of characteristic Dragon Ball atmosphere. Soundtrack itself is super epic masterpiece - the greatest sound that ever came to my ears. I don't know how, but I will dig up all this music from Columbia basement - this is a matter of honor for me.

By now, does someone have some official information about this music? Why Toei didn't ask Columbia for producing stereo masters of entire soundtrack?

(excuse my bad English - I hope that my post is understandable :roll: )
Your english is actually 70% understandable it's not terrible XD.

Other than that, I doubt a single letter will warm TOEI'S Heart, if they used a background music cd (only the stereo tracks) I doubt the masters are still available, it's been 20 years.

And in my opinion, Kikuchi music is great, but really? the best thing that graced your ears? :3. Your opinion bro. X3.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:11 pm

Black_Liger wrote:if they used a background music cd (only the stereo tracks) I doubt the masters are still available, it's been 20 years.
GASP! You uttered the forbidden thought! The thought I've been trying to keep from surfacing for years!

There are other explanations, though. It could be that the masters are just buried somewhere and Toei just chose to use the CDs because they were at hand and convenient. Misplacing film/TV cues happens all the time in the film score industry, at least in the US.

And yes, basically that is my desperate attempt to stick my fingers in my ears and believe we still have a chance. But honestly, if the BGM Collection, which is only 7 years old, gave us material that had never been released prior, I still have high hopes that the masters (or at least some salvageable element) still exist. I don't see why Toei would throw stuff like that out after the turn of the century, long after that practice had been proven a bad idea.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.