The Saiyans leitmotif

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

The Saiyans leitmotif

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:58 pm

Aside from the more obvious ones like Gohan or Piccolo's theme, or Goku always having some Mystical Adventure or Cha-La Head Cha-La instrumental, another prominent theme I've noticed through the entirety of Z is a melody that's always used for things involving the Saiyans, be it Raditz or any of the protagonists.

First up, we have this, which is first used when Raditz comes out of the spaceship in episode 1 of Z (along with another version used throughout the Saiyan saga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRH8nZk ... 4o_Ss8XczT). And then we have this, a more bombastic and action-appropriate rendition first used in Movie 4 when Goku undergoes his False Super Saiyan transformation and kicks Lord Slug's ass. And then it pops up twice in Movie 6: first, when Goku transforms in his first battle with Metal Cooler, and then the famous "march" version that's first used when Goku and Vegeta kill Cooler.

And of course, it goes without saying that it pops up a lot throughout the Broly movies! We have this very chilling, foreboding version used after he finishes his transformation into the Legendary Super Saiyan. And then again in Movie 10, although I havene't watched that movie enough to remember the exact time it was used. Then we have this REALLY awesome version from Movie 11 and lastly, Movie 12 has a slower, more drawn out variation when Goku transforms into Super Saiyan 3, followed up by another one when he goes into battle.

It's one of my favorite melodies in the series, and given how often it's used its hard not notice the theme it's going for! Essentially, the "Saiyans doing awesome shit" song.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Captain-Sora
Regular

Re: The Saiyans leitmotif

Post by Captain-Sora » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:55 am

jjgp1112 wrote: or Goku always having some Mystical Adventure or Cha-La Head Cha-La instrumental
He also has another leitmotif that pops up here and there during the later films in a number of renditions. Vegeta also got his own reoccurring film motif.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:31 pm

When I was a kid, I loved that leitmotif, and I still do. I had a very small hard drive on my childhood computer, so I had 4 or so MP3s from Dragon Ball. I had Goku's Super Saiyan 1 and 3 themes from the dub, and I had Spirit vs Spirit and the movie 11 version of the leitmotif.
Captain-Sora wrote:Vegeta also got his own reoccurring film motif.
I love Vegeta's movie theme. His movie 12 version is exciting, but his movie 7 version captures everything about the character.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:18 pm

And here's another one I missed from Movie 13, when Goku, Gohan, and Goten power up:

https://youtu.be/bGSWEyz9MV8?t=33

It also pops up in Movie 5 when Goku's transforming, but it's a fairly tiny section.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:56 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:And here's another one I missed from Movie 13, when Goku, Gohan, and Goten power up:

https://youtu.be/bGSWEyz9MV8?t=33
And that was the last time Kikuchi scored anything for Dragon Ball. Think of it as him riding off into the sunset.