Thoughts on the Legacy of Goku Trilogy soundtrack

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Thoughts on the Legacy of Goku Trilogy soundtrack

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:30 pm

I've seen many people dislike the Falcouner score around here (myself included, at least regarding a majority of the tracks). But how do you feel about the remixed versions of those themes in the LoG games? Do you still dislike them purely because you dislike the tunes? Do you like them because you liked the themes already and only disliked the fact that they replaced Kikuchi? Or do you like them now because of how they were remixed when you disliked them before?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Thoughts on the Legacy of Goku Trilogy soundtrack

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:15 pm

I like The Faulconer score to begin with (not every track) but there wasnt any Faulconer in LoG1.
LOG2 and Buu's Fury had a great score imho and even enhanced some tracks.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:48 pm

I don't know if this is a remix of Falcouner or not but I love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXuVldyvAcA
I know I heard the Falcouner version of another soundtrack I liked but I don't remember which one it was (need to replay those games).

And about the dub soundtrack, I don't like it, from the few I've heard, it gives a different feeling to the show.
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:05 pm

Beerus-sama wrote:I don't know if this is a remix of Falcouner or not but I love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXuVldyvAcA
I know I heard the Falcouner version of another soundtrack I liked but I don't remember which one it was (need to replay those games).

And about the dub soundtrack, I don't like it, from the few I've heard, it gives a different feeling to the show.
Yup it's a remixed falcouner track from the original ssj vegeta theme
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:03 am

I liked the music in all three games, especially the beautiful piano bgm Ariel Gross created for the first installment. In all honesty, i prefer it over the usual Kenji Yamamoto type stuff from that period, which in my opinion sounds kind of bland and generic.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:24 am

The soundtracks of the first two Legacy Goku games are great in my opinion, I only briefly played a bit of the third one, partially because it felt a lot more tedious than the first two games and because I was much older at the time so I never really bothered finishing it. I sunk infinitely more hours into the first two games growing up so naturally the first two soundtracks are the most nostalgic for me.

Although LOG1's music was all original, I've always wondered if Ariel Gross took inspiration from the Shuki Levy score when creating music for the first game. While there's certainly a more up beat, hip hop influence to many of the songs, I can't help but feel there's also a slight similarity to the Shuki Levy/Ron Wasserman pieces. Granted, they're only simple 16 bit songs so it's a little hard at times to tell what instruments he was trying to mimic but I think certain tracks seem to almost resemble the tone of the Saban music. In a weird way it's almost like hearing hip hop remixes of the Saban tracks, especially this one.

It seems as though he was often trying to convey the sound of chanting monks along with heavy drums and occasional droning guitar (much like the Shuki Levy/Ron Wasserman score), there's also a noticeable whimsical quality to the music that was more present in the Saban era music. Of course it might just be coincidental and in truth he never actually paid much attention to the the show, this is just how I've always perceived it.

LOG2 was also really well done in my opinion. The music there was obviously just simplified arrangements of the Faulconer tracks but whereas it often felt unfitting for the show (at least to me) I think it's right at home in a 16 bit video game. I would even go as far as to say I prefer the videogame versions of the songs due to having less erratic/off the wall moments in the compositions. I think it also helps that the video game tracks have a more unified sound due to being limited by GBA sound hardware. East District 439 is a particularly great sounding piece.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 am

NitroEX wrote: Although LOG1's music was all original, I've always wondered if Ariel Gross took inspiration from the Shuki Levy score when creating music for the first game. While there's certainly a more up beat, hip hop influence to many of the songs, I can't help but feel there's also a slight similarity to the Shuki Levy/Ron Wasserman pieces. Granted, they're only simple 16 bit songs so it's a little hard at times to tell what instruments he was trying to mimic but I think certain tracks seem to almost resemble the tone of the Saban music. In a weird way it's almost like hearing hip hop remixes of the Saban tracks, especially this one.

It seems as though he was often trying to convey the sound of chanting monks along with heavy drums and occasional droning guitar (much like the Shuki Levy/Ron Wasserman score), there's also a noticeable whimsical quality to the music that was more present in the Saban era music. Of course it might just be coincidental and in truth he never actually paid much attention to the the show, this is just how I've always perceived it.
Most people associated that soundtrack with Rock the Dragon and heavy guitar riffs, i can't really recall any kind of rock influence in the LoG1 soundtrack. I think Funimation own all (or most) of the rights to the Saban music, despite not creating it, so they could have just reused/remixed it like with the Faulconer score. Your theory is still plausible though, since Funimation were heavily involved in the overall direction of the game, and knew Saban's music was the default Saiyan Saga soundtrack for kids in North America, the UK and Australia.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:32 pm

Funny enough, I think the LOG1 soundtrack actually does have some subtle Faulconer references in it. Like listen to this part of of the LOG 1 main theme. It sounds really similar to this part of the Faulconer main DBZ theme. And it makes sense because Faulconer scored a big chunk of the episodes that LOG 1 was covering.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:06 pm

I absolutely love the LOG games! Heck, I'd even go as far as to say that LOG 1 had some good aspects that are often overlooked by most people. Sure, the game had you dying from wolves, but that's one of the things that made it so great. The game had an above average difficulty level, but that was precisely it's charm IMO. The Namek temple seemed annoying as a kid but it's really fun to explore now!
So, this might be a little biased:

In my opinion, LOG II and Buu's fury has some of the best video game music in Dragon Ball history. Sure, some tracks like "Hikari No Willpower" and most of the tracks from BT2 might be better, but I think the Faulconer score works way, waaay better in the games than it does in the anime.
Can't really say much about LOG's music, but it's pretty nice to listen too, it gives off that whimsical Dragon Ball feel.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.