Episode #0262 (19 June 2011)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0262 (19 June 2011)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Episode #0262 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes)
55:22; 96 kbps, mono; 38.3 MB

Episode #0262! VegettoEX and Hujio discuss a wealth of news primarily centered around Bardock, who is receiving a new Super Saiyan form in conjunction with video games and a new three-part manga short. Marc also joins us to talk about the summer convention season, and if we can expect any significant announcements from FUNimation for our favorite series. June's releases and your e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Mike. Heath. Marc. Talking about stuff. That's a show, yo.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Episode #0262 (19 June 2011)

Post by PuppetDoctor » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:30 am

This has nothing to do with Dragon Ball but if Funimation did announce that they licensed Sailor Moon at one of the conventions I would be so happy. The box sets that were released by ADV are to bloody expensive. Oh well at least we got the manga coming out beginning in September.

On a Dragon Ball note though I do hope that if Funimation releases Dragon Box the Movies it is in one or two boxes maximum. It would be cool if it came in some sort of premium box or something and then maybe for the other people down the road do singles. I would hate to have the Dragon Box movies come out in singles because it wouldn't feel as special. Part of the magic the first time I got my first Funimation Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box was the packaging itself and the hardcover book. It felt so much more expensive than the cheaply made Orange Bricks.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:59 am

The long awaited SSJ Bardock!
Will it be as good as fans expected?

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:41 am

Argh! Can't seem to download it. Every time I try to save it, it only takes up 1KB and it won't play. Experts please help, I'm a cabbage when it comes to this stuff.

Son Goshen

Post by Son Goshen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:14 am

^ Maybe you should restart your computer and try again.....

I really hope the SSJ Bardock special would be awesome. Hope that Ooishi Naho would draw like Akira Toriyama.

P.S. Can anyone tell me how did Goku get the heart virus? Was it just a natural thing?

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:56 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Argh! Can't seem to download it. Every time I try to save it, it only takes up 1KB and it won't play. Experts please help, I'm a cabbage when it comes to this stuff.
You're not the only one. When that happens, I try over and over again. And if it fails, I download from the main site.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:59 am

Yeah, I had a mistake in the forum post that wasn't there on any other page. If anything, that shows who it is that actually comes to the forum thread to download the episode instead of the wealth of other ways to do it!

Seriously, yo. Subscribe! Automatically downloads! Hurray!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:34 am

I guess I shouldn't hold my breath for an English release of Ultimate Butoden then? :(

I'd been putting off buying the Japanese version because I've been under the impression that "Oh, it's a Dragon Ball game; there's no way it won't eventually be released in the U.S." I really do want to buy and play this game. Should I import instead and just deal with the language barrier the best I can when it comes to text boxes or should I continue to wait and hold out hope that maybe we'll get Ultimate Butoden for the holiday season?

I'm worried about waiting any longer than two more months because I don't want to end up in the worst-case scenario where not only will there be no English translation, but I won't be able to find a copy of the original Japanese version at a normal price (or available at all.)

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:56 am

VegettoEX wrote:Yeah, I had a mistake in the forum post that wasn't there on any other page. If anything, that shows who it is that actually comes to the forum thread to download the episode instead of the wealth of other ways to do it!

Seriously, yo. Subscribe! Automatically downloads! Hurray!
I don't have I-Tunes or an I-Pod right now, so yeah.
Too be honest, I'd really like Funimation to release the TV-only version of the 'Tree of Might' that featured Ian Corlett and Shuki Levy's music, even though it probably wouldn't sell very well and many new fans would be confused and wouldn't understand the release, but still I'd love to own it for nostalgia reasons. Hell, it would be even more awesome if they through on some old Toonami promos and an audio commentary, although they'd have to deal with rights and stuff.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:15 am

I would totally love it if FUNimation were to license Digimon and give it a DVD release, with a new, proper dub and subtitles.

Please, FUNimation, make it happen!

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:49 am

It'll definitely be interesting what FUNi will do with the franchise in the near future, especially with Kai ending. Let's hope they can figure out something to release some of the franchise's newer material, like the Jump Special. Or hope that the Dragon Boxes did well enough to release a few more of them.
Puto wrote:I would totally love it if FUNimation were to license Digimon and give it a DVD release, with a new, proper dub and subtitles.

I'm also on this band wagon. How much of a chance there is to that happening, who knows. But here's hoping.

Although I don't know if FUNi would re-dub 5 series with a combined episode total of about 250 episodes. I think they'd be busy enough with dubbing Xros Wars. I'd be happy if they just included a Japanese track and accurate subtitles.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:14 am

Puto wrote:I would totally love it if FUNimation were to license Digimon and give it a DVD release, with a new, proper dub and subtitles.

There would be no value in redubbing the first five.

The value in the first five is having more episodes to sell to people who were fans when they were younger, and to possibly have an episode package to sell to someone to air.

Any value those five shows would have is lost if they have to reproduce them to sell.

Best case for the first five, a Voltron-esque release. They release the edited dub on DVD first, and it's sales convince 'whoever' has the license that a separate subbed release is worth the effort.

This isn't a DBZ or a Sailor Moon. With DBZ you had a limited number of episodes that had to be redone, and the show had largely been marketed consistently. With Sailor Moon you have a large number of people with a connection to it and a heavy dislike for the dub, and the potential to actually sell it.

Digimon is an oddity in that, due to random licensing and production quirks, it vanished for awhile, then came back with a new season, and vanished immediately, and outside of a small subgroup of people, the dub just isn't hated enough for it to be a potential issue for sales. Having a new dub would be like redubbing Go-Lion again and marketing it as Voltron. The people most likely to buy Voltron on DVD want what they saw when they were kids and a new dub is utterly worthless. We've seen evidence of this with some of the crazyness we saw with a few countries having a new dub cast for Kai. And that wasn't even 'replacing' the original, imagine the shitstorm they would have gotten if they went 'Yeah... the old dub is terrible, we can do much better now, so we will never be using the old one again, and here is a much better one.'

Original Digimon series aired 12 years ago in the USA, it's starting to enter that zone that many franchises enter where, you can still appeal to old fans and get them back, but not if you just disrespect what they saw in the first place.

Also, I don't actually think Funi will announce Xros Wars at AX, I'd just like it if they did, so I made that my crazy prediction for the con.

A guy can hope.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

ShadowDude112
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by ShadowDude112 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:52 pm

Mike, I have a suggestion for the podcast. You know how you answer questions? Well, on Wreckless Media Radio, they answer calls from their listeners in their live stream and the callers ask questions. Would you be interested in that?

OT: I still love the podcast and it's very enjoyable.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:02 pm

Missed last week since I was away working and my SD Card for my 3DS refused to be written by my laptop... so listened to this and 261 yesterday. I hope FUNi announces these things:

1) Jump Super Anime Tour Dubbed

2) Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans Dubbed

3) Bardock and Trunks TV Specials on domestic Dragon Box

4) Dragon Box Movies

5) Co-Production of Kai Boo Arc (just for the improved dub)

Great Episode, and I just realized its been awhile since Marc has been on.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:59 pm

With the exception of Dragon Box: The Movies, I'd be surprised if anything new is announced before 2012.

That's not to say that I wouldn't thoroughly enjoy being proven wrong. I'm positively rabid for the JUMP special.

~Da Lemmy

Dizrythmia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dizrythmia » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:16 pm

I did an interview with Kyle Hebert on the Easter weekend who at the time told me there has been no progress with the Jump Anime special, so unless something has changed in the past few months I don't think we'll be seeing a release of it. Not this year anyway...

http://www.retrospekt.com.au/2011/05/pa ... een-gohan/

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:09 am

Dizrythmia wrote:I did an interview with Kyle Hebert on the Easter weekend who at the time told me there has been no progress with the Jump Anime special, so unless something has changed in the past few months I don't think we'll be seeing a release of it. Not this year anyway...

http://www.retrospekt.com.au/2011/05/pa ... een-gohan/
Dubbing is one of the last steps before release.

Outside of cases where they are preparing things that have a quicker timetable, Funi tends to announce before dubbing has even begun casting, and often before they even have materials in office to even 'start' the process.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.