Episode #0336 (16 June 2013)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0336 (16 June 2013)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Episode #0336 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
54:40; 96 kbps, mono; 37.7 MB

Episode #0336! To celebrate Father's Day, we tear apart all the bad dads in the series. Goku usually takes the brunt of the criticism, but is this fair? Who else ignores their children, and who does the best job in being a part of their children's lives? Goodbyes to the great voice actor Kenji Utsumi and news recaps wrap up the show. Referenced sites:
Sorry for the break between episodes -- enjoy this one! Needed a quick break, but glad to be back :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Puto
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0336 (16 June 2013)

Post by Puto » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:26 pm

You guys forgot one Dragon Ball dad - Cell!

What, he fathered seven Cell Juniors, didn't he?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:07 am

Puto wrote:You guys forgot one Dragon Ball dad - Cell!

What, he fathered seven Cell Juniors, didn't he?
And then there's Kami! He fathered Piccolo Daimao. And then you have Dr. Frappe, Ha-chan's second daddy after Dr. Gero. And how about Freeza, father of Kuriza? And you also have Bora, Oopa's dad, and I think Lord Slugg fathered those Mazoku in Movie 4. You've also got Bibidi, father of Babidi and Boo. I'm sure there are others, too. It's not the Kanzenshuu guys' fault, though. That's a lot of dads to remember! Not to mention that the podcast would take forever to get through!

In reference to Goku leaving with Oob at the end of the series, after thinking about it a little, it's not as bad as you guys think. If I remember correctly, Goku could have left to train Oob at any time; hadn't he been sensing his amazing power and fighting prowess for years? But instead he chose to wait for the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, and he even made Goten train with him for the tournament as an excuse to spend some time with his son before he left. Let's not forget that Goten was pratically an adult himself at this point, so it's not like he's missing out on raising his son or anything. I think at this point Goku has already seen both his boys grow to be fine young men, so him leaving isn't so bad now. I'm not saying he should have done it, however; his poor wife probably misses him dearly, and the whole family probably would have appreciated a little more warning. That's one of the reasons why I liked that little bit in Neko Majin where we see Oob training at Goku's home. Maybe on the way to Oob's island he realized, "Hey! I got a house, too! Duh!" and came home. Sounds like Goku to me! Then again, this is probably just me trying to find what little merit I can in the series' ending, but hey, I'm sure we all do that when a series we love ends in a way that we're not too fond of. Anyways, Happy Fathers Day to all the dads of Kanzenshuu and beyond!

pappy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pappy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:50 am

I may have missed it but I'm surprised yall left Goku's surrogate father, Grandpa Gohan out of the discussion. Goku's main character traits might be best explained by that nasty bump on the head, but I like to think the man had some influence on our simpleminded main protagonist. Plus, more saiyan patricide.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:52 am

Considering Vegeta: I always felt he DID care about Trunks, even when Dr.Gero wrecked Bulma's skycar, but at that time he already knew who future Trunks was. So Vegeta probably figured the future Trunks would save his baby self. That's how I always saw that scene, anyway. Pretending not to care, trying to convince himself that he's still emotionless and evil, but knowing deep down that he actually does care.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:18 pm

I laughed harder than I should have probably at the 'wanna learn to fly' becoming another way to say - er, things. :lol: Great stuff.

Kuririn probably is one of the best fathers in the series, but in a way I feel like...we don't really get to see anyone in a truly fatherly role in the franchise, at least not compared to the way we do in other ones. Almost everyone is a father in the sense that 'hey, we need more characters' just the way most of the mothers became mothers simply for the same reason. And as far as the discussion on Goku goes, I think the reason arguments on whether he's a good or bad father always seem to turn into arguments in general is because some people misinterpret the 'Goku is a bad father' arguments to mean that he's a terrible, abusive one, or something. Goku clearly cares for his children to some degree, he loves his family, and when he actually is there, he seems to do pretty good with them - but the problem is that other things (fighting, food, etc.) always take the first seat of importance in his life, when they probably shouldn't. So he's not a good father, he's not a terrible father - he's in the middle, not necessarily a good dad but you could do worse.

Also, great touch with the use of the one Shen Long song (the title of which escapes me) as the ending to the episode. We'll miss ya, Utsumi. :(

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:59 pm

haha that song at the end was incredible! Well done!