Special Podcast Episode: DBZ Video Game Music #2

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Special Podcast Episode: DBZ Video Game Music #2

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:19 am

Special Podcast Episode: DBZ Video Game Music #2 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes)
96:27; 96 kbps, mono; 66.4 MB

Special Forum Bonus: Download an exclusive stereo / higher-bitrate version of the show!

The Kanzenshuu crew brings on an incredible group of special guests to dive into the Dragon Ball franchise’s rich history of video game music. What were some of the songs that defined our fandom from the previous and current generation of games? Our focus is 2002-2013, so join us for a history lesson and some rockin’ tunes!

Big thanks to aaaaaalllllllll of the special guests who contributed this time around. Once everyone's had a chance to enjoy the show, I'll pop back in and start listing names / accounts / Twitters / song choices for future reference. Enjoooooooooy~
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Re: Special Podcast Episode: DBZ Video Game Music #2

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:39 am

Loved it. So, so much.

As much as I enjoyed the first one, I really couldn't relate to a lot of the stories since those games were a bit before my time. But in this one, listening to people talking about their favourite pieces, particularly from the Budokai series, it felt as if someone had grabbed me by the collar and dragged me back 7 years (I was a bit late to the party). This episode was just so nostalgic to me and it really brought back some awesome memories. I literally just sat on my bed and gazed out the window as I listened to this. Can't wait to hear it again, stereo version should be amazing. :D

Great episode, will hopefully distract me from waiting for Battle of Gods.

On a side note, the piece that Mike chose (the Infinite World one) really reminded me of this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpmVUEjagg
I'll have to take another listen, because I'm sure they're actually pretty different, but for whatever reason this was the first thing that popped into my head. Oh, Yamamoto... :)

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:11 am

Awwww :( I really wanted to be in this one :( Loved the episode though! :D

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:52 am

So cool to hear Legendary Super Warriors represented in this. It's an obscure game, but it will always have a special place in my heart. I am proud to say that I'm one of the people AlexFili mentioned he met through the game. If it wasn't for this little Game Boy Color game, I might never have met whom I now consider a very close friend. Many hours were spent trying to beat our Battle Mode record (an endless mode in which you try to win as many battles as you can; if you manage to win at least 10 battles you gain access to rare cards, which is a lot more difficult than it sounds).
Great memories and friendships, all thanks to the magic of Dragon Ball.

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:35 am

It was definitely a unique experience to be asked to represent part of a franchise I grew up with, especially Legendary Super Warriors which holds a special place in my heart. Wouldn't have expected to find such an amazing game on a console like the Gameboy Color! The fact that I'm still talking to friends like TrunksTrevelyan0064 and VenomSymbiote about it is proof of the power of videogames.

Since secondary school I'd always been playing the NES, GB and SNES games (time to dig out all these memories and start blogging I think!). I remember being really excited for Budokai 1 on the Gamecube but was surprised to hear the Japanese audio with subtitles (we had that setup for quite a few DBZ releases in European regions). The last DBZ game I bought was Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Still hoping for another great new game in the next few years or so, but the future looks bright for Dragonball.

A big thanks to Mike for putting together the podcast and getting us all together like this. Definitely a brilliant way to share memories and stories. Well done to everyone who took part!

Edit: All this DBZ music brought a wave of nostalgia back for me, so I decided to play a different DBZ game each day for seven days.
Last edited by AlexFili on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:25 pm

My voice recording quality somehow always ends up sounding worse on the podcast than it does when I record and send it. :crazy:
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Kaboom wrote:My voice recording quality somehow always ends up sounding worse on the podcast than it does when I record and send it. :crazy:
Other than the same noise removal and normalization that everyone else gets, the only special thing I did to yours was run a quick high pass filter on the tiny segment in the middle you re-recorded to make it sound the same as the rest (basically just take a little bass out of that one part). Otherwise, whatcha send is whatcha get!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Second time (First was BOG news) I'm gonna sit through a podcast over an hour. Worth it to here the kick ass tunes. Currently listening to the podcast.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:14 pm

I loved the first one, and I love this one! Great job! :thumbup:

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:29 pm

Loved the episode! I worked out through the whole damn thing! I'm pleased to hear that there might be more in the future. Maybe I'll join in on the fun...if I could get a proper mic and big enough set of balls to actually record myself.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:58 am

Mike, the episode was great! And I'm not just saying that because I was on it twice. And there's a stereo version? Nice.

I'm scrounging the internet for some of this music- they were all so amazing!

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:35 am

Awesome, think out of all of them the Budoaki 3 Theme is my favorite as it just brings me back to playing Goten v. Trunks fights with my best friend! Thanks for all those who helped on another awesome podcast, I really enjoyed it! Gotta say some of the songs reminded me of Counting Crows' Hard to Handle

Tekkaman-James
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tekkaman-James » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share my love for Harukanaru Goku Densetsu, Mike! :mrgreen:

The full episode was a really fun listen full of some awesome tunes both familiar and otherwise; a wonderful retrospective. Really digging the C-H-A-R-A-C-T-E-R-C-U-S-T-O-M-I-Z-E tune that Mike played at the end. Reminds me of the G-A-M-E-O-V-E-R ditty from Daytona USA.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:11 pm

I'm sitting down to listen to it now. Thank you so much for this opportunity to give my thoughts on Battle of Omega! Nice touch lining up my use of the lyrics with the song :D I chuckled with the biggest grin on my face when I heard that!

Everyone's stories are so awesome! This is a fantastic episode and it's great to hear everyone having such heart-felt memories of these amazing songs.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Glad to take part in this! Liked that there's a stereo version too. Hearing everyone's memories of this era had more impact than the last one. But, this is the era of Z games where I started playing. I'm satisfied with my choice, but part of me feels like I should've gone with Super Survivor, I've caught myself listening to it a lot lately too (then again I was working on an English adaptation that will hopefully be able to be done one day ala the Hikari no Willpower dub).

But, I felt that the choice I made was appropriate with the explanation as well. Really feels like something to reference it's Journey to the West/Pre-Z roots.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:24 pm

Who picked the normal World Tournament theme over the Cell Games theme? I find the one that plays during the Cell Games waaaay better. It's like the perfect song to represent the finals of the Tenkaichi Budokai.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:55 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Who picked the normal World Tournament theme over the Cell Games theme? I find the one that plays during the Cell Games waaaay better. It's like the perfect song to represent the finals of the Tenkaichi Budokai.
That was me, I normally would pick something like the Cell Games over the World Tournament. But, I thought it had a distinct sound. Plus, I wanted to try and avoid accidentally picking something someone else did, I kinda forgot about that song. But you're right that it'd probably be a better theme for a tournament. But, I liked that they threw a bone to the Asain-like roots of DB.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:58 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Who picked the normal World Tournament theme over the Cell Games theme? I find the one that plays during the Cell Games waaaay better. It's like the perfect song to represent the finals of the Tenkaichi Budokai.
That was me, I normally would pick something like the Cell Games over the World Tournament. But, I thought it had a distinct sound. Plus, I wanted to try and avoid accidentally picking something someone else did, I kinda forgot about that song. But you're right that it'd probably be a better theme for a tournament. But, I liked that they threw a bone to the Asain-like roots of DB.
It's all good. Just so long as you know this theme is awesome

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:43 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
Yeah, I have a fondness over that track myself. What's interesting is that it was actually also used way back in the first Budokai for that special Legend of Mr. Satan mode too. It was essentially his own little over the top theme in a way. It was nice to see it return for the tournament stage later on.

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Been a long time since I've made a post on this forum, but after listening to this special episode of the podcast, I just wanted to say thanks for putting such a brilliant episode together! It's brought back many happy memories, and it's been wonderfully put together, it made me very happy just listening! I can relate to each guest that had a segment, and I even dug my PS2 out to have a blast on Super Dragon Ball Z after hearing the in game music again.

I've downloaded the podcast to my phone and I'll listen to this episode many more times.

Well done for a great job Mike, and everyone who contributed. Many thanks!