Episode #0363 (15 June 2014)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0363 (15 June 2014)

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Episode #0363 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
71:17; 96 kbps, mono; 51.3 MB

Episode #0363! VegettoEX and Hujio break down the current state of “Dragon Ball Kai” both in Japan and internationally. What was the “refreshed” version of “Dragon Ball Z” supposed to be, what did it become, and how did we get to this point? Why are there two versions of the Majin Buu arc being produced? Our thoughts, your thoughts, and a whole slew of information break the whole situation down!

Referenced sites:
Let it be known that we are aware we neglected to mention Babidi's replacement voice actor and that "Who's That Character?" is not a part of the episode. No need to call us out on it! Unless you want to. So go ahead.

Enjoy! :D
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0363 (15 June 2014)

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:42 pm

I saw the Great Saiyaman episode and it felt like they were trying to bounce between plot points, like Gohan saving Videl from the bus then right away rescuing the pterodactyl. There was no flow in the episode because plots were not developed enough. Basically, in a nutshell - the editing is shit.

Since Toei doesn't seem to be putting in a real effort to make this a legitimate remake, I wont be putting in a real effort to watch this.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:21 pm

After hearing this episode I think you guys convinced me that, yeah, Buu Kai (or just Kai in general) is really not that good.

I don't pay attention that much to technical aspect, like screen ratio and re-animated scenes, etc. But the editing and music.... yeah... I don't really know what to say that hasn't already been said.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:26 pm

So happy to see a new podcast episode. I've been undergoing withdrawals!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:51 pm

I agree with Mike. It 'hurts'. Dragon Ball is a thing very close to me. To feel so apathetic and disgusted with something so big for the franchise is really a disgusting, unsightly feeling. Because I can see my own feelings, apparently.

I'm happy to see Heath has the new addition to the Manga Guide. It is an awesome thing to have, especially with the pictures of the magazine covers being relatively large. Having the Toriyama comments on hand is a Hell of a lot of fun, too. I hope Jake gets around to doing that English Twitter version again.

Speaking of Pekinduq, I am immensely jealous of his collection. Those shelves of his are so orderly and lined up so well it leaves me jealous because my collection is on a few shelves in my closet. Hell, I've used all of my shelve space so now I can't put anything else on them. >_<

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:13 pm

Yeah, manga takes up so much room. I'm actually planning on selling my VizBigs off, as I already own the anime and like that version better. Then again, it's not like the Dragon Boxes were any better in that department.

I guess the two merits of Kai are the English Dub, and the faster pacing. Faster doesn't mean better, and I still don't like the dub anyway.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:49 pm

Like a lot of regulars I've been keeping up with most of this through the news page, but like the rest I appreciate you two organizing this so linearly. You do some fantastic work to make sense of how little sense Toei is making right now. Your patience is utterly admirable. Pity on whoever at Toei is frustrated into the proverbial wall and the wall is pushing back right now.

The Korean's lack of green tint is great news, at least.

I have something unrelated to throw out. I put the podcast on my phone to start listening to on a jog, forgetting that I had left my phone's sound filter on "concert hall" mode. I turned it off after about twenty minutes, could not take it after that, but I have heard Kanzenshuu: The Podcast live. Then the podcast ends and the next song is... a fan-made combo of the six Funimation covers of Dragon Soul. I swear that was not intentional.

No need to talk to yourself, Mike, you have lives too!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:31 am

Kid Buu wrote:I saw the Great Saiyaman episode and it felt like they were trying to bounce between plot points, like Gohan saving Videl from the bus then right away rescuing the pterodactyl. There was no flow in the episode because plots were not developed enough. Basically, in a nutshell - the editing is shit.

Since Toei doesn't seem to be putting in a real effort to make this a legitimate remake, I wont be putting in a real effort to watch this.
That's only in the Japanese version. The international version has more episodes, and the Saiyaman arc is a couple episodes longer as well. The clips we've seen appear to show the music and editing are more carefully handled in the international version as well.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:49 am

Scarz wrote:After hearing this episode I think you guys convinced me that, yeah, Buu Kai (or just Kai in general) is really not that good.
I'm still trying to understand the generally perceived problem with Kai (pre-Buu).

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:49 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Scarz wrote:After hearing this episode I think you guys convinced me that, yeah, Buu Kai (or just Kai in general) is really not that good.
I'm still trying to understand the generally perceived problem with Kai (pre-Buu).

The music placement is terrible and the pacing choppy. Filler that is cut also includes fighting not just Bulma vs. the Crab and fake Namek. It's just bad.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:01 am

Only just got a chance to listen to this cast in its entirety. It's always fun listening to you guys despair over how Dragon Ball gets treated. And by despair, I mean sigh heavily and pretend to actually care!

I did laugh at the response to my tweet. I think 'Stockholm Syndrome' is a pretty adequate description of how I feel about Kai. I mean, the series really is my captor and I do try to love whatever it gives me otherwise I'll probably end up depressed and angry. Hooray for positivity!

At the time of me writing that tweet, we were going through a small batch of episodes that were actually quite good. Pacing wasn't too fast, editing wasn't jarring, tracks and their placement were fine, it was really looking up for Kai's Japanese broadcast. Of course, it would go to shit again the week the podcast is released! I'll be interested to see how it pans out. I don't hate it, it's definitely inconsistently enjoyable to an extent but I definitely retract my comment about calling it 'enjoyable along Kai 1.0'.

Nuh-uh, no way, not in the slightest. With all this news coming out about the international version and its lack of adherence to Kai's premise, it's too much of a mess for that comment to be true any more. Heck, the Japanese version's haphazard and patchy production is shining through far too strong to even defend that now.

I want to like Kai so badly as I really did enjoy 1.0. However, if it's gonna continue in line with this week, fuck it, I don't care anymore. I may as well return to Z again.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:16 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote: I want to like Kai so badly as I really did enjoy 1.0. However, if it's gonna continue in line with this week, fuck it, I don't care anymore. I may as well return to Z again.
Whilst I agree entirely with the sentiment, I gotta say - as you're probably the most proactive guy on here for watching each week's episode, I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say I'll definitely miss your immediate weekly insight into each weeks episode if you decide to drop it. I think it's fair to say that your dedication to watching it live and going over some of the finer points with the raw shoulders some of the pain on behalf of the community!

I'm gonna stick to batch watching it every 6 weeks like I do with One Piece and Naruto, but it's always nice to read your initial impressions.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:41 am

Ah, I appreciate the kind words! I don't think I see myself abandoning actually watching it. I just mean that I'll probably hit a point where I'll stop caring to the point that I get physically annoyed.

I'll still post my first impressions even if I do feel a bit like I'm repeating myself week after week at this point.