Episode #0427 (17 September 2017)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0427 (17 September 2017)

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:04 pm

Episode #0427 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
59:48; 96 kbps, mono; 41.2 MB

Episode #0427! Mike and Kirran discuss the "Dragon Ball FighterZ" closed beta. How is the game shaping up so far, and how different do the characters feel from each other? We come up with an impromptu top five list of characters we would love to see in the game, and chat a little bit about recent website content and bonus podcast material!

SEGMENTS:
00:15 - Introduction (what's on deck)
03:23 - Topic (Dragon Ball FighterZ closed beta)
37:19 - Top 5 (characters we want in FighterZ)
44:48 - Episode wrap-up (bonus reading, etc.)
54:10 - Bonus Anime Expo recording with Kirbopher

REFERENCED SITES:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Episode #0427 (17 September 2017)

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:01 pm

Holy crap I missed that Top 5 cue!

FighterZ is going to be my first fighting game, and my first Dragon Ball game. Most DBZ games don't interest me that much (recent ones like Xenoverse look pretty bad compared to what I"m used to, like Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted), and there still hasn't been The One OG Dragon Ball game that really captures those adventures to me. FighterZ caught my attention from the visual presentation; it's plainly obvious how much love and attention to detail has been put in this game, and the focus on each character playing differently helps set it apart from past titles that feel like the Lego games, where everyone is cookie-cutter with a special move. I mean at this point, anybody can make a DBZ game using the actual sound effects and a cel-shading filter, so that Arc has gone so above and beyond with the authenticity is saying a lot to how seriously they're taking this game.

---

This is slightly off-topic, but it's as good a place as any without necro-bumping. I was listening to an old episode from 2010, where you guys reminisce on Daisuko Gori. Now, I'm not familiar with almost all of the Japanese cast, so this was the first time I got to learn about the man's lengthy and incredible role set from over the years. I often listen to the podcast on my bus ride home from work, and I get off to do the final leg of the trek home on foot. I get to the part where the clip of Satan rallying the people of Earth to contribute to the Genki Dama plays, and right when it finished, it starts to rain. I could tell because a single rain drop landed right on my lower eyelid, like a tear. Considering that I always wear a baseball cap when out of the house, that's an extraordinary coincidence, and I'm not sure what to make of it. But I wanted to post it here since it was obvious that that was special.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:36 am

Hey, Mike! Really enjoyed a new episode! Kirran is doing an awesome job as the "video-game-guy"! :D

However, hearing how down you were on the people that prefer the 3D-games like xenoverse, or more simplistic games like budokai, saddened me. I am a huge gaming fan, and I`ve played loads of fighting-games, but for the Dragon Ball-series, I prefer those games, even if stuff like FighterZ and Super DBZ are better as fighting-games. Just wanted to chime in, and say that not EVERYONE prefers games other than FighterZ because "they`re too young", and "they don`t know 2D-fighters".

Other than that, man, it felt good to hear the top-5 theme again!

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Nice throwback to the top 5! Cant say I agreed with most of the choices there but I see the reasoning. I know Beerus should be a lock but he would be my pick as we haven't really seen him in this style of game yet and the graphical style will make him look amazing.

Was a bit disappointed you guys didn't dedicate a few minutes to discussing Android 21 despite you guys alluding you knew she was revealed. An original character by/supervised by Toriyama himself thats a new numbered Android/cyborg is a huge deal.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:01 pm

nato25 wrote:Was a bit disappointed you guys didn't dedicate a few minutes to discussing Android 21 despite you guys alluding you knew she was revealed. An original character by/supervised by Toriyama himself thats a new numbered Android/cyborg is a huge deal.
Said information had not officially been released at the time of our recording. We'll have more to say next time around.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:54 pm

Gonna listen to this because I'm pretty interested in this new game, plus I've enjoyed the (few) Kanzenshuu podcasts I've heard. Should be good.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:08 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
nato25 wrote:Was a bit disappointed you guys didn't dedicate a few minutes to discussing Android 21 despite you guys alluding you knew she was revealed. An original character by/supervised by Toriyama himself thats a new numbered Android/cyborg is a huge deal.
Said information had not officially been released at the time of our recording. We'll have more to say next time around.
Fair enough. The site has the good reputation it does because it doesn't report on rumours and verifies everything first so I can respect that.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:11 pm

ATTENTION: The Gods have returned!!!!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:00 am

The other angle that I do not hear mentioned but I'm sure many have in mind is that Xenoverse and most of the Spike games have a good deal of content, whereas 2d fighters rightly conjure up images of "Arcade, Versus, Survival" and the assumption that longevity comes from love the mechanics than perceived "stuff to do". And I don't think anyone expects Arc to pull a Soul Calibur II in that regard, which is why a new story mode in their new style is nice to hear.