Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:07 am

Ree wrote:When did Kirby try so hard to sound cool? give me one scene where he did it

I don't agree with the surfer thing either but i do the other stuff.

Yes i did leech. your point?

Pictures that show different expressions. i saw clips and from what i saw he did little to differentiate goofy Gohan to serious Gohan except altering the pitch of the voice slightly
The point of those pictures its that Brad had more range. Did you even look at them?
When didn't he?

That it's inauthentic and halfhearted and I don't believe you. Write what you honestly think, don't just agree with someone because they knocked something you also don't like.
Pictures that show different expressions. i saw clips and from what i saw he did little to differentiate goofy Gohan to serious Gohan except altering the pitch of the voice slightly
The point of those pictures its that Brad had more range. Did you even look at them?
I did, but they are pictures of Gohan. That has to be one of the silliest ways to argue a point about the voice actors. They are static pictures of the characters.

You didn't hear that. I call BS. No one could ever not hear that there was a big difference from his silly Gohan and his serious Gohan.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:57 am

In all of the Westwood dub
In fact i showed multiple clips so the burden of proof is on you,not me.

You conveniently missed the part where i said i don't agree with the surfer thing. also your thoughts on Kirby Morrow are the same thing everyone else said and they're not even true.

Not if I'm trying to prove one had more personality, you are looking too much into it. the point was just "this is X and that is Y and Y is the one with a wider range of expressions"

If your going to call bs on someone else dont spread lies about Kirby Morrow. nothing you said about him is true.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:22 pm

All I can really say is that, Swaile has a very calm and gentle voice which I think fits teen Gohan very well.

For me, Kyle is very good, but he's the audio equivalent of casting actors in their late 20's/ early 30's to play high schoolers in movies.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:28 pm

SX10 wrote:All I can really say is that, Swaile has a very calm and gentle voice which I think fits teen Gohan very well.

For me, Kyle is very good, but he's the audio equivalent of casting actors in their late 20's/ early 30's to play high schoolers in movies.
Swaile also falls into that category. He's clearly older than the character he's portraying. I get your point about casting older actors, but it's a convention I can deal with, just like I can deal with women voicing young male characters.
Not if I'm trying to prove one had more personality, you are looking too much into it. the point was just "this is X and that is Y and Y is the one with a wider range of expressions"
Showing me a static picture of Gohan tells me absolutely NOTHING about the actor portraying him.
If your going to call bs on someone else dont spread lies about Kirby Morrow. nothing you said about him is true.
What lie?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:34 pm

"Bland"
"Tries too hard to be cool"
"Mismatch"
"No energy"
"Acting isn't good"
"Not Goku"
"Generic"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:39 pm

Ree wrote:"Bland"
"Tries too hard to be cool"
"Mismatch"
"No energy"
"Acting isn't good"
"Not Goku"
"Generic"
How is what I wrote a lie and not merely a difference of opinion?
They're opinions I stand by, but they aren't lies.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:43 pm

The same way anything i write about Kyle is a lie, its not.
Point is dont call people's opinion BS while having opinions of your own. Meaning don't do it at all.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:48 pm

Ree wrote:The same way anything i write about Kyle is a lie, its not.
Point is dont call people's opinion BS while having opinions of your own. Meaning don't do it at all.
You're acting like all opinions are equally right and valid. They are not. An opinion is worthless if you cannot support it. The Flat-Earth Society have "opinions." The crazy homeless guy down the street screaming about how "The Sky is Slippery!" has "opinions."

ABED has been supporting his. Your's can essentially be summed up with-

"Chris doesn't sound like a Namekian."
"What does a Namekian sound like?"
"Not like Chris!"

You are not backing up your opinions. You are not explaining why you feel this way. You are just throwing out statements, and getting mad when people explain why they think you are wrong.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:52 pm

These are opinions about which actors we like though.

I explained multiple times what i meant in different threads.

I have tried my best to explain why i feel why i do even if its not good enough but i have tried. Video links, rants, comments, scenes, pictures, you name it,i provided it.
And i am not angry

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:02 pm

I wouldn't say you don't explain it, but rather you either don't, or just not well enough. Those pictures prove nothing about the performances. I have no idea why you would think that. And sometimes you just post a link to a youtube video and it seems like you believe it proves your point. The videos need explanation sometimes.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:06 pm

NitroEX wrote:
ABED wrote:From what I've heard, Brad's fine, he's not so far above Kyle. They're on par.
Kyle might have some good moments here and there but to say he's on par with Brad Swaile is a huge stretch. I think he makes for a serviceable older Gohan (post Z material) but as a teenager I find his voice very unfitting. I honestly think he was miscast.

Admittedly there are some actors who can make an older voices work for a young character (especially if the character is wise or intimidating) but Kyle just doesn't sound convincingly young nor does he bring anything unique to the role. His delivery is usually pretty bland and the voice he uses for Gohan is mostly a generic dude-ish/cool guy voice which doesn't help convey the type of personality Gohan has, it just reminds me of a well spoken surfer or something along those lines. Gohan is mostly shown to be an awkward, humble teenager with an innocent heart. Yes, he can be badass at times but this is not the foundation of his character. Buu arc Gohan clearly has a lot of self doubt and at times can even be naive. Why should a character like that have a generic cool hero voice? It doesn't make sense... unless you're Funimation at the time who also thought it was a good idea to make Cell games Gohan sound "badass" by directing Stephanie Nadolny to sound as husky/raspy as possible.

Bottom line; if Kirby Morrow sounds "too cool" for Goku then I think it's fair to say that Kyle Herbert is "too cool" for Gohan. That's just my opinion.
Hebert doesn't sound that old. To me he sounds like a teenager/young man who speaks in a mature, intelligent, and sometimes fittingly nervous manner. We have to remember that Gohan is biologically 17-18 in the Buu Saga if you count the year in the Time Chamber, so it's not like he's only just hit puberty. People in real life mature at different rates. Some teenagers can look or sound a lot older than their age, while with others it's the opposite. Just compare Gohan at the Cell Games to Goku during early DB and bare in mind Goku was older.

And Hebert sounds nothing like a surfer. If there's anyone who sounds like that it's Peter Kelamis as Goku. And Kirby Morrow to an extent, who gave the exact same performance as Goku as he did as Scott Summers in Xmen Evolution, who funnily enough enjoyed surfing in some episodes.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:11 pm

ABED wrote:
SX10 wrote: For me, Kyle is very good, but he's the audio equivalent of casting actors in their late 20's/ early 30's to play high schoolers in movies.
Swaile also falls into that category. He's clearly older than the character he's portraying. I get your point about casting older actors, but it's a convention I can deal with, just like I can deal with women voicing young male characters.
It doesn't matter if Swaile isn't a teenager, the point is his voice sounds young enough to play one in cartoons and anime. It's the same as Joshua Seth sounding young enough to play a boy like Tai in Digimon, his natural voice just has a very youthful quality to it despite his actual age. Herbert's voice clearly doesn't posses the same quality and if you want objective proof of this just go compare Swaile and Herbert's previous roles. The vast majority of Kyle's roles are older males whilst Swaile has almost exclusively been cast as young boys and teenagers. Sure Herbert has had a few teenage roles himself but that's the exception. I get what you're saying about women voicing kids but a more genuine sounding casting is always preferable to one that sounds less convincing. If the actor has a less convincing voice but brings a unique aspect to the character then it's forgivable but I don't hear anything noteworthy in kyle's delivery.
ABED wrote: I'm not sure where you get the idea that Hebert is "too cool" he doesn't play that note the entire time. He plays goofy, earnest, and warrior when he has to.
I don't think it sounds as genuine as Swailes' delivery. Most of his goofy moments come off sounding forced because his voice is naturally more on the deeper end, he's already putting on a voice for Gohan to begin with so going even higher pitched makes it sound fake to me. This example should illustrate what I mean.
ABED wrote: Kirby isn't too cool, he sounds like he's trying to sound cool. He's just overall really bland. Hebert's voice sticks out.

And Hebert's Gohan sounds nothing like a surfer.
Well I'm not sure how else to describe it. He might not sound like a surfer in the stereotypical sense (think most of the Michelangelo voices from the numerous versions of TMNT) but there's a quality to his Gohan voice that's somewhere along those lines which is why I made the connection. I did mention that he's more "well spoken" which I think puts the voice in a grey area that's hard for me to define, I still get an overly cool guy vibe from listening to him though. As for Kirby Morrow, I think you've got it backwards, from what I remember of his performance he usually sounds overly enthusiastic most of the time. Very rarely would I say he was "trying to sound cool", his natural voice is just very distinct and has that youthful Californian vibe to it. I can understand what Ocean's (Kai) casting directors were getting at when they gave him that criticism but it's not his delivery that makes him sound cool, it's just his voice.
90sDBZ wrote: Hebert doesn't sound that old. To me he sounds like a teenager/young man who speaks in a mature, intelligent, and sometimes fittingly nervous manner. We have to remember that Gohan is biologically 17-18 in the Buu Saga if you count the year in the Time Chamber, so it's not like he's only just hit puberty. People in real life mature at different rates. Some teenagers can look or sound a lot older than their age, while with others it's the opposite. Just compare Gohan at the Cell Games to Goku during early DB and bare in mind Goku was older.
Exceptions exist in real life but cartoons and anime usually cast voices based on commonly known archetypes, not exceptions. Also I don't think being biologically accurate is the main priority when it comes to casting. The character's traits and personality should be the priority really. When Brad Swaile speaks his first line as Gohan you immediately get a feeling of who that character is just based on the innocent and youthful quality of his voice. Kyle's Gohan is serviceable and he might be a decent actor but his voice alone lacks the same qualities as Swailes'.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:17 pm

Hebert's voice isn't that exaggerated from his real voice.
so going even higher pitched makes it sound fake to me
It's exaggerated for comedic effect. That's more akin to sitcom acting than "realistic". It works for me. I don't see an issue with it.
his natural voice is just very distinct
Kirby's voice is distinct?

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:10 am

...wow, where the hell did THIS thread trail off into?

Not an update, but for one thing I found out Michael Dobson did King Cold for all of like 2 lines in the later parts of the Canadian Dub after a mis-label on BTVA. After confirming, I figured I'd ask him if he knew anything.
https://twitter.com/michaeldobson07/sta ... 4351752192

"Will do for sure! I'll do some digging and see if I can get some clues...thanks again my friend for the kind words."

He was very cool! Not expecting anything new, but fingers crossed.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:44 am

Kirbopher wrote:...wow, where the hell did THIS thread trail off into?

Not an update, but for one thing I found out Michael Dobson did King Cold for all of like 2 lines in the later parts of the Canadian Dub after a mis-label on BTVA. After confirming, I figured I'd ask him if he knew anything.
https://twitter.com/michaeldobson07/sta ... 4351752192

"Will do for sure! I'll do some digging and see if I can get some clues...thanks again my friend for the kind words."

He was very cool! Not expecting anything new, but fingers crossed.
That's fantastic man! I'm sure he'll inquire but fingers crossed, I hope he can relay that information back to us.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:54 am

Okay, someone on YouTube told me that Ocean is really going to dub Kai. Is this true?

Sorry, I just wanted a quick answer and didn't want to go through 165 pages.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:01 pm

SylentEcho wrote:Okay, someone on YouTube told me that Ocean is really going to dub Kai. Is this true?

By all accounts, it has already been dubbed. We're all just waiting on a release... and have been for many years now. Who knows if we'll ever see it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:16 pm

Ajay wrote:
SylentEcho wrote:Okay, someone on YouTube told me that Ocean is really going to dub Kai. Is this true?

By all accounts, it has already been dubbed. We're all just waiting on a release... and have been for many years now. Who knows if we'll ever see it.
To expand on that, we're not sure about the Buu arc. It's still not entirely clear if they have dubbed that or not. Everything before that, though, has been dubbed and could technically be aired right now. What the hold-up is...is unknown, and the single greatest mystery behind this dub over the past couple years. However, some credible rumors have suggested that the problem is that Ocean can't find a TV network interested in airing it (which is a bummer, because since FUNimation owns the home video rights for Kai, TV is the only way this dub cold possibly be seen).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:00 am

Ajay wrote:

That's good to know. I'm sure some kind of release is warranted, considering the huge Ocean fan-base.
To expand on that, we're not sure about the Buu arc. It's still not entirely clear if they have dubbed that or not. Everything before that, though, has been dubbed and could technically be aired right now. What the hold-up is...is unknown, and the single greatest mystery behind this dub over the past couple years. However, some credible rumors have suggested that the problem is that Ocean can't find a TV network interested in airing it (which is a bummer, because since FUNimation owns the home video rights for Kai, TV is the only way this dub cold possibly be seen).
Is there no way Ocean could release this on DVD or something? They'd make quite a bit of cash. :shock:

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:02 am

Yeah, from the gist of it, the dub looks like it was produced as somewhat of a gambit, with a hope (or expectation) of TV licensing deals that just didn't happen for whatever reason.

It has all the makings of a total white elephant, but I think the biggest mystery that surrounds it is quite simply: 'Who the heck paid for this? And why are they apparently happy to be silent about having wasted their money?'
SylentEcho wrote:Is there no way Ocean could release this on DVD or something? They'd make quite a bit of cash. :shock:
Funimation have the home video rights for pretty much every English-language market, so I'd wager no.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.