Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:17 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:It's simple why they praise the old Funimation Z dub. Nostalgia. Even their much-lauded Buu Saga dub isn't anything great, IMO.
As Kai, BOG, RF, & Super's dubs clearly show.
Those are the dubs that really deserve their respect. All I can say is that I'm glad that I don't have to cringe whenever Schemmel or Sabat deliver a line.
Yep, exactly how I meant for that to come across.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:29 am

How come the dub of 2014 is completely available on the internet? I don't think the dub is that far airing yet on Toonami?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:35 am

Son Vegito wrote:How come the dub of 2014 is completely available on the internet? I don't think the dub is that far airing yet on Toonami?
Huh. What dub are you referring to?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:29 am

Son Vegito wrote:How come the dub of 2014 is completely available on the internet? I don't think the dub is that far airing yet on Toonami?
The Blurays are all out already
sangofe wrote:Huh. What dub are you referring to?
Funimation Buu Kai dub

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:32 am

Robo4900 wrote: I'd also like to add to this that the Westwood dub was actually good.
People crap all over it online, but really, while I would say the acting was better than Funimation's dub at the time, the thing is, the music is a matter of taste(I happen to prefer Ocean's), and as far as the TV airings of the two go, the scripts were the same.
So sure, Westwood wasn't as good as the original Saban run, but I don't see how anyone can honestly say the Westwood version sucks, while singing the praises of Funimation's mess of a dub. Both dubs were terrible adaptations of the original Japanese with very poor scripts, but both are enjoyable in their own right. And if someone's going to tear down one of the dubs, it should be Funimation's -- at least Ocean's had good acting along with it, and the music wasn't obnoxiously blaring at full volume all the time.
All of your "Ocean is better" comments are simply subjective. I'll give the Saban dub credit where its due, but I've never found any enjoyment out of watching the Westwood Ocean dub.

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:36 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
The Blurays are all out already
Ah, thanks. Sorry for the wrong thread.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:12 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: I'd also like to add to this that the Westwood dub was actually good.
People crap all over it online, but really, while I would say the acting was better than Funimation's dub at the time, the thing is, the music is a matter of taste(I happen to prefer Ocean's), and as far as the TV airings of the two go, the scripts were the same.
So sure, Westwood wasn't as good as the original Saban run, but I don't see how anyone can honestly say the Westwood version sucks, while singing the praises of Funimation's mess of a dub. Both dubs were terrible adaptations of the original Japanese with very poor scripts, but both are enjoyable in their own right. And if someone's going to tear down one of the dubs, it should be Funimation's -- at least Ocean's had good acting along with it, and the music wasn't obnoxiously blaring at full volume all the time.
All of your "Ocean is better" comments are simply subjective. I'll give the Saban dub credit where its due, but I've never found any enjoyment out of watching the Westwood Ocean dub.
I don't think he was saying Ocean is better as if it were a fact.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:12 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't think he was saying Ocean is better as if it were a fact.
This.
Dbzfan94 wrote:All of your "Ocean is better" comments are simply subjective. I'll give the Saban dub credit where its due, but I've never found any enjoyment out of watching the Westwood Ocean dub.
I'm not saying Ocean is better, I'm saying I prefer the Ocean version, and I'd appreciate it if people stopped crapping all over it for things the Funimation dub also got wrong. It's clearly a case of people getting nostalgic, and feeling the need to protect their childhood by trying to tear down everyone else's. It's really quite pathetic, to be honest.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:20 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:All of your "Ocean is better" comments are simply subjective. I'll give the Saban dub credit where its due, but I've never found any enjoyment out of watching the Westwood Ocean dub.
I'm not saying Ocean is better, I'm saying I prefer the Ocean version, and I'd appreciate it if people stopped crapping all over it for things the Funimation dub also got wrong. It's clearly a case of people getting nostalgic, and feeling the need to protect their childhood by trying to tear down everyone else's. It's really quite pathetic, to be honest.
My bad, I misread your comment the forst time. And not to be rude it kinda feels like you're doing the same thing but protecting Ocean instead of Funi. It's on both sides, let's not pretend it's not.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:38 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:My bad, I misread your comment the forst time. And not to be rude it kinda feels like you're doing the same thing but protecting Ocean instead of Funi. It's on both sides, let's not pretend it's not.
Sorry if it seems that way, but that was never my intent. I fully admit I prefer Ocean's version, but my whole point is that both versions are equally flawed, and people need to stop tearing down the one that isn't their preferred version. It's just like the situation of various dub fans complaining about the Japanese voices and/or music, except here there's no "Better" or "Original" version.
Besides, sure Ocean has its fans, but just take a look on YouTube, and 90% of the time it's people complaining about the voices.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:48 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:My bad, I misread your comment the forst time. And not to be rude it kinda feels like you're doing the same thing but protecting Ocean instead of Funi. It's on both sides, let's not pretend it's not.
Sorry if it seems that way, but I'm really not(I did say at one point that if any version should be criticised it's Funimation's, and perhaps I did go a little too far there, but let's disregard that for now). I fully admit I prefer Ocean's version, but my whole point is that both versions are equally flawed, and people need to stop tearing down the one that isn't their preferred version. It's just like the situation of various dub fans complaining about the Japanese voices and/or music, except here there's no "Better" or "Original" version.
Besides, sure Ocean has its fans, but just take a look on YouTube, and 90% of the time it's people complaining about the voices.
Ugh, the comments section of a YouTube video about the Ocean dub can be so toxic. Even more toxic than a video of the FUNi or the Kai dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:44 pm

You know, how cool would it be if this dub was released commercially in 5.1? Then fans could do a special hybrid cut of kai with Ocean and Funi voices for whatever dub does the character more justice.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:53 pm

MR.Mark wrote:You know, how cool would it be if this dub was released commercially in 5.1? Then fans could do a special hybrid cut of kai with Ocean and Funi voices for whatever dub does the character more justice.
It'd be pretty cool, but this dub is only going to the see the light day on TV.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:31 pm

Won't it be censored then? If so that majorly sucks and dampens my interest in it.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm fairly sure that this dub has at the very least the same edits the Nicktoons version of Funi's dub of Kai has, as Ocean is mentioned in the credits as being involved in the editing.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:47 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Won't it be censored then? If so that majorly sucks and dampens my interest in it.
We don't really know if this dub is censored or not. If it is censored, I still want to see it.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:19 pm

Same here, but if it's not uncut it will just be a curiosity, then back to watching the Funi kai dub.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:25 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:It'd be pretty cool, but this dub is only going to the see the light day on TV.
I was always under the impression TV was capable of 5.1 broadcast, and used it fairly often.
Danfun64 wrote:I'm fairly sure that this dub has at the very least the same edits the Nicktoons version of Funi's dub of Kai has, as Ocean is mentioned in the credits as being involved in the editing.
Putting that aside, this is very specifically a TV dub anyway, so it will have probably been produced using Funimation's TV edit scripts, and the Nicktoons edited footage.
MR.Mark wrote:Same here, but if it's not uncut it will just be a curiosity, then back to watching the Funi kai dub.
For me, it'll finally provide an English dub of DBZ I'm unreservedly fine to watch. If I want to seriously take in the story, naturally, I'll watch Z in Japanese. But if I want to return to the voices I grew up on, Ocean Kai would provide that very nicely. Then I guess I can switch to the Westwood dub for the Boo arc. Wouldn't be ideal, but it'd be better than nothing. At least, until Ocean dub Boo Kai. :wink:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:It'd be pretty cool, but this dub is only going to the see the light day on TV.
I was always under the impression TV was capable of 5.1 broadcast, and used it fairly often.:
Oh, right, I forgot about that.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:02 am

Robo4900 wrote:
I was always under the impression TV was capable of 5.1 broadcast, and used it fairly often.
Danfun64 wrote:I'm fairly sure that this dub has at the very least the same edits the Nicktoons version of Funi's dub of Kai has, as Ocean is mentioned in the credits as being involved in the editing.
Putting that aside, this is very specifically a TV dub anyway, so it will have probably been produced using Funimation's TV edit scripts, and the Nicktoons edited footage.
MR.Mark wrote:Same here, but if it's not uncut it will just be a curiosity, then back to watching the Funi kai dub.
For me, it'll finally provide an English dub of DBZ I'm unreservedly fine to watch. If I want to seriously take in the story, naturally, I'll watch Z in Japanese. But if I want to return to the voices I grew up on, Ocean Kai would provide that very nicely. Then I guess I can switch to the Westwood dub for the Boo arc. Wouldn't be ideal, but it'd be better than nothing. At least, until Ocean dub Boo Kai. :wink:
Whatever gives you enjoyment quality aside I guess. I'm more fussy and rather the best of both worlds, for example my cut of the Buu arc. Improving the pacing, music, and even some of the acting by taking out certain lines and grunts etc.