Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:45 am

sangofe wrote:
Sounds like you were brain washed by your goverment, man... I mean, what? All english people should be satisfied with one english dub I'd say. I don't know why you shouldn't...
Hmm... well I haven't slept for 24 hours when writing this. What I mean is that it should just be left to "why not?" I didn't mean to sound so... ew. Haha! I think if it remains in Canada alone, there's no harm in it. I think it is a good thing.

Nothing wrong with having variety.
Certainly not, and I prefer the "ocean" cast myself, but the way you worded yourself :P
Man, yeah. It was a knee jerk reaction. I'm just really passionate about the Ocean dub. I really love their body of work on anime. I'm studying politics for an exam tomorrow and I guess that stuff is on the brain instead. Anyways, yeah. I'm just beating a dead horse by this point.... I need a break lol
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:09 pm

Attitudefan wrote:I think a reason for it to be produced is preference. Why should Canadians be subject to American products? We shouldn't. We should have our own dub. As a Canadian, I find it highly disrespectful that one would assume that Canadians are happy with American products, when in fact that is not the case in many instances. There is a market for it too. As Canadians, we are not American, and we should have our own productions despite language differences. If able and allowed to do it, and since it also has a nostalgic value which is bonus points, there should be every right to make one.

Plus, I find the Canadian actors much better and they don't have any American twang and pronunciation. I find the Canadian actors are much more articulate and clear than their American counterparts. Their words just sound sharper, especially comparing Sabat to Drummond (character voices aside, the way the words come out are just clearer and more concise and less garbled. Sabat in Kai sometimes sounds like he is going to trip over his words. Schemmel too. Ayres, though, sounds perfectly fine in my opinion. He doesn't suffer from that, but he wasn't an original Texas cast member, so that is probably why).
Well, Canadians are North American (alongside the US, Mexico, the Central American countries, Cuba, etc) therefor technically making them American, but that's just me arguing semantics (American used to refer to people in the two American continents vs American used to refer to citizens of the United States of America).

That said, there doesn't need to be multiple English dubs of a single product. There didn't need to be multiple English dubs for DBZ 15 years ago (could have been perfectly fine just being done by Ocean, if they followed the trend of improved acting/scripting trend FUNi's dub did), and there doesn't need to be mutliple English dubs for Kai (unless the first dub is something Big Green level, then it's more a quality issue).

Even if it weren't an issue of competing in similar locations...FUNi's dub has been available for years. It ran on TV in many English-speaking regions, and his available on home media in many places (Canada can easily get Kai DVDs/Blu Rays no problem). What's the financial gain here? A single TV run on only Canadian TV that will never see the light of day on DVD/Blu Ray since FUNimation has the rights for home media releases? After many fans had already seen Kai? It's just a waste of time, money, and effort at that point. Not saying people can't enjoy it, but from a business standpoint, it seems unnecessary.

I find the implication that some of our actors are more poorly spoken/inferior to be somewhat disrespectful. Despite my preference to the FUNi cast, I don't find the Ocean voice actors to be inferior or take issue with their speech, I just have a different preference (I feel FUNi and Ocean's voice cast stables to be comparable in quality for the most part). You can prefer a voice cast without implying that one cast are superior actors with better pronunciation, and better spoken than another.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:16 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Now you know how I feel when I still see people clinging to the hope that this dub is still actually going to be released when there hasn't been a single official confirmation from Ocean or Toei regarding this production. I have just as much of a right to express my opinion on this as you do so don't act like I can't because I don't believe this dub will be released.
My point isn't that you don't deserve to post in this thread, it's that you're needlessly repeating yourself after pointing out you had ceased to care. All I did was point out the obvious. If you want to keep posting I have no problem with that, just don't expect people to not notice some of the contradictions in your posts.
jelleline89 wrote:And you're hilarious if you think someone from Ocean would actually be affected from the negativity in thread that they wouldn't release this. I don't think 5 years of silence from Ocean regarding their Kai dub is attributed to negativity of online discussions here or that they even care what we think on the matter.
Of course the negativity wouldn't be the reason for the dub to be shelved, not after they've spent huge amounts of money to hire top Vancouver talent. If, however, the rumours are true that the dub has (allegedly) been shot down by multiple channels then the people behind it could understandably become at least a little demoralised by the situation (they are human beings after all). :roll:

Showing support and having a positive attitude towards this dub could go a long way if the right people are indeed paying attention to public opinion on it. This thread is no doubt the biggest online venue to discuss this dub so they very well could have already stumbled upon it. I would prefer to let them see that there are people in support of it, not just a sea full of naysayers. Also whether you like this discussion continuing or not, nobody can dictate what others can or cannot talk about.
sangofe wrote:All english people should be satisfied with one english dub I'd say.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that, no dub is perfect and we all have differing opinions of how these characters should sound. May I remind you that many of the remaining Funimation cast members were not originally cast into those roles by virtue of being best person for the job. The original in house team comprised of a select few who did the best they could to mimic their predecessors, this meant someone like Chris Sabat (who at the time had relatively no acting experience) was put into as many roles as his vocal range would allow. While this isn't the case anymore with casting (Chris Ayres being a great example) and the remaining past actors (such as Sabat himself) have improved tremendously over time I don't think it's unfair to say that Chris Sabat wouldn't naturally be cast as both Piccolo and Vegeta unless fans had already become used to him in both those roles.

You might then say "well we know that Brian Drummond and Scott McNeil are reprising their old roles" and that's true but both of them went through a true casting process from the start and were hired simply because they were the best fit. They had the luxury of not being affected by anyone who voiced the character before them aside from maybe the Japanese. Ae also know that returning actors like Kirby Morrow have been turned down meaning that there isn't favouritism going on in the casting. This along with the fact that other well respected Vancouver voice actors like Lee Tockar and Richard Ian have been cast into large roles make this a dub worth being seen in my opinion. We also know the music is different, certain pronunciations are changed and additional sound effects have been used. All these things will certainly make this dub a different experience from the Funimation one.
Mewzard wrote: I find the implication that some of our actors are more poorly spoken/inferior to be somewhat disrespectful.

You can prefer a voice cast without implying that one cast are superior actors with better pronunciation, and better spoken than another.
It may seem like a harsh criticisms but it's something that's kind of true when it comes to certain actors sourced from Texas. VAs sourced from LA or New York for example generally tend to know how to sound more internationally friendly in their speech because they understand that their product will be viewed worldwide. This isn't so much of a problem in the Funi Kai dub as it was with Z but there are still a few Funimation cast members that seem to have a hard time sounding ambiguous. It's a minor criticism for sure but it's noticeable to me at least.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:57 pm

I actually thought the comment I made was a dream. That's how tired I was. Please, I feel like I was being way too harsh and I don't really mean what I said.

I feel kind of ill thinking about it. I'm really sorry. I wrote something before thinking. Coming back here after I slept really makes me feel gross looking back.

I do agree that it is not a very smart business decision. That is true especially considering the home video market and the potential upset of people finding out they can't get what they saw on TV. That can lead to a bunch of issues.

I feel Nitro was able to articulate my thoughts better than I could. Thanks Nitro.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Attitudefan wrote:I actually thought the comment I made was a dream. That's how tired I was. Please, I feel like I was being way too harsh and I don't really mean what I said.

I feel kind of ill thinking about it. I'm really sorry. I wrote something before thinking. Coming back here after I slept really makes me feel gross looking back.

I do agree that it is not a very smart business decision. That is true especially considering the home video market and the potential upset of people finding out they can't get what they saw on TV. That can lead to a bunch of issues.

I feel Nitro was able to articulate my thoughts better than I could. Thanks Nitro.
Also, pretty fucking rude of sango to not edit that original statement of yours even after you removed it himself. He should show some respect and remove it as well instead of being an ass and leaving it. I have a right mind to even report it.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:11 pm

NitroEX wrote:My point isn't that you don't deserve to post in this thread, it's that you're needlessly repeating yourself after pointing out you had ceased to care. All I did was point out the obvious. If you want to keep posting I have no problem with that, just don't expect people to not notice some of the contradictions in your posts.
I have never contradicted myself, asswipe. All the reasons I stated for the Ocean Dub being pointless seem pretty accurate from where I stand and you don't provide much, if not anything, to challenge any of the points I made. As for me moving on from the after July, I did move on. I'm convinced this dub will never be released so I moved past the hope of ever seeing it. I am sick and tired of you attacking me every time I make a post about why this dub will never happen. You have been doing it ever since the Cole Howard incident and I'm sick of it. If you don't like what I have to say, ignore me. But if you continue to question my being here again and again, I will go to the moderators about your spam and have them deal with you. I'm not interested in what you think about my being here, and I don't want to hear it again. So stop questioning my being here, stop stalking my posts, and leave me the fuck alone.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:10 pm

Yeesh. Calm down, man.

Well, if nothing else, I consider the delay to be worth discussing in and of itself.

I mean, we got Duke Nukem Forever, and the Last Guardian seems to finally be a thing. It's not like Development Hell is inescapable. The thread's not hurting anyone, regardless.

If anything, the tidbits of information that we keep getting from the voice actors are what's keeping me interested in this, moreso than the actual product itself. If we ever find out what's going on, I imagine that's quite a story in and of itself. If nothing else, that's a discussion I'm more than interested in having.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:42 pm

Hey everybody! I'm Sam, nice to meet you all! I've finally decided to get into the discussion here :D

I have so much I've wanted to say for so long, haha, so here goes:

I became aware of this topic back in February 2013. It was shocking news to me, because I'm a massive fan of the DBZ Ocean voice cast. Have been since I caught the CN run in '98.

I own the "Rock the Dragon" set & the box set containing the 3 uncut Pioneer movies. I won't pick up anything of the Texas dub. It's available everywhere anyway and to be honest, despite it's somewhat consistently high production value, it's just not thee dub for me.

Like most, I found the Westwood Dub very lackluster, but there was plenty to like. There's plenty to like about Funimation too, of course. Point is, there's an army of loyal Ocean fans to warrant this dub's existence (among other reasons unknown to us).

I shouldn't assume, but I'm guessing no one here has worked in television production & broadcasting. So there probably won't be any definitive answers popping up as to why this exists; what research went into it; what the release status will be, etc.

That said, I feel we'll see it one day. Who knows, there may even be a home video release. You just don't know.

Anyway, there's plenty of healthy speculation still to be had.

I've also seen some doubts as to actor's ability to deliver. Well, the Texas cast took years to finally nail their performances the way they did. They were also brand new to it all when they started and subject to familiar silly scripting pitfalls.

The Ocean voice cast are seasoned and very active actors who have worked in various mediums. The Westwood Dub was a rushed and hectic production. That's a 100% guarantee to everyone that this was the sole reason their later attempt is inconsistent, strained and a slightly hollow experience. Hence, it is now widely disrespected.

If Kai has been given the respect, consistency and (importantly) seasoned direction it deserves, then this cast will deliver nothing short of fantastic work. The amount of time they have been away from the material is not a negative factor at all, if anything it gives them perspective and time to gain a fresh approach.

So that said, the only thing that irks me is the new soundtrack. On the one hand, I like the idea, on the other hand, I wish Yamamoto's work was still in use.

As for additional sound FX, I hope they have re-thought that and decided against it. But it's not likely. We can't be that lucky. So here's what I know so far:

1) Richard Ian Cox is Goku - fantastic natural pitch to his voice for this. He denies all knowledge (asked via his tumblr only).

2) Brian Drummond is Vegeta - confirmed a lower pitch voice (but cannot answer any production questions as he is just an actor).

3) Scott McNeil is Piccolo, plus everyone and their grandmother (he has told us so much but has eventually had to back down himself as he reveals less & less).

4) Michael Dobson is Nappa - as seen via his online resume (this is when a member here researched 'IP Productions' & found this to be connected to Ocean Studio's HQ).

5) Trevor Duvall has confirmed involvement & I assume Samuel Vincent is involved.

6) Tom Keenlyside & Anitunes are involved to create the score & there's a prototype sample of an opening song out there (unlikely to be used - likely just promotional material).

7) Brendan Hunter is Tienshinhan - cannot discuss.

8 ) Cole Howard is Android 17 - since removed the credit from his Reddit post.

9) Some Calgary acting talent are involved - likely to save cash but also to fill out the large & unique roster of characters.

10) Pronunciations have been altered & thought given to keep the spirit of the Japanese version in-tact. Unsure as to how faithful the entire project will be - but this is a great sign.

Finally, the most interesting part!

11) Lee Tockar is Freeza - apparently sounds like a British version of Mark Hamill's Joker.

Great thing here is, Lee Tockar runs Fan Built. His interests clearly leak over from acting and into production. If anyone has some relevant information, or the ability to successfully seek it out, it will be him.

He's confirmed on his twitter that he has heard both dubbed versions. He has stated that he cannot confirm when or where the Ocean dub will air as of yet and he is also unable to talk about what will make Ocean's version different.

However, he has described it as, "… more whimsical… perhaps darker".

It's an exciting description!

I have personally messaged Subzero Ice on facebook - but got nada. I've also came across this interesting entry on an anime website:

http://www.crystalacids.com/database/ti ... -kai-toei/

I've e-mailed them about it, but to no avail. Looks like this is an in-house Ocean production though. The names seem attached to some high quality work.

There's many actors with Ocean that are unknown to me, but can anyone tell me who they might think will bag other roles in the dub? For example, any bets on who will play Cell?

I only got one more thing to say: I believe the dub may be released 2016 as it would mark 20 years since the original broadcast of the Ocean voice talent.

Phew! I'm done for now. I promise!
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Android17

Post by Android17 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:29 am

SX10 wrote:I only got one more thing to say: I believe the dub may be released 2016 as it would mark 20 years since the original broadcast of the Ocean voice talent.

I may be clinging to false hope, but I could actually see this happening. Especially if they wanted to complete dubbing the Majin Buu saga before any sort of release, which I've speculated before could possibly be the reason for the delay.

I'm being cautiously optimistic about the whole thing, as Mike would say ;) I fully accept that this dub may never see the light of day, but I don't think we should count it out quite yet. Once FUNimation's Buu dub has come and gone and Kai is officially a thing of the past, that's probably when I'll give up on it. Who knows, we may even see an Ocean dub of Super before this :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:51 am

jelleline89 wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:I actually thought the comment I made was a dream. That's how tired I was. Please, I feel like I was being way too harsh and I don't really mean what I said.

Also, pretty fucking rude of sango to not edit that original statement of yours even after you removed it himself. He should show some respect and remove it as well instead of being an ass and leaving it. I have a right mind to even report it.
You should learn to think before you post. First off, did it occurr to you that I might hadn't noticed him editing it out? Secondly, you're not being nice here, and made a double post. Which means you broke two of the forum's rules. I'll gladly edit out my message, though. Oh, and why did you only point me out? There's been other users who's quoted him, too... Just sayin'.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:15 am

Android17 wrote:
SX10 wrote:I only got one more thing to say: I believe the dub may be released 2016 as it would mark 20 years since the original broadcast of the Ocean voice talent.

I may be clinging to false hope, but I could actually see this happening. Especially if they wanted to complete dubbing the Majin Buu saga before any sort of release, which I've speculated before could possibly be the reason for the delay.

I'm being cautiously optimistic about the whole thing, as Mike would say ;) I fully accept that this dub may never see the light of day, but I don't think we should count it out quite yet. Once FUNimation's Buu dub has come and gone and Kai is officially a thing of the past, that's probably when I'll give up on it. Who knows, we may even see an Ocean dub of Super before this :lol:

Yeah, I thought it made the most sense if they hope to earn a profit with the product, they should capitalise on the nostalgia factor as much as possible. It's kind of unique.

I'm trying to stay as hopeful as I can. So I've considered that after Funimation have their run, that could also be a possible time to release this. Just because it seems like a niche product at this point.

In the UK, the channel Kix were aware of the Ocean dub, yet Toei did not give them the option to consider it for broadcast. I just find that odd. What's the tactic? What are they waiting for?

Also, with Final Chapters coming to TV, will Ocean be carrying out the TV edits again? If so, why? What are they getting in return? My guess is, a shot at dubbing the show. Funimation may be helping them out somehow, because it seems like a deal has been struck somewhere, especially if the dub's existence is top secret at Funimation HQ.

I've noticed the trail of information has gone cold lately, they seem to be tightening up loose ends and it's possible that new NDA's have been established. So perhaps they really are dubbing the Buu arc.

It's no more far fetched than the idea of them dubbing the show again to begin with.

How awesome would it be if they got to dub Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F on the fly?

But yeah, I'm all for their take on Super, even if it makes it here first :lol:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:15 am

SX10 wrote:If Kai has been given the respect, consistency and (importantly) seasoned direction it deserves, then this cast will deliver nothing short of fantastic work. The amount of time they have been away from the material is not a negative factor at all, if anything it gives them perspective and time to gain a fresh approach.
Absolutely! Scott McNeil mentioned that after all these years talking to fans he finally "gets it". Drummond also seems to have more appreciation for the Vegeta character so I'm very excited to see what new things they bring to the roles.
SX10 wrote:The Ocean voice cast are seasoned and very active actors who have worked in various mediums. The Westwood Dub was a rushed and hectic production. That's a 100% guarantee to everyone that this was the sole reason their later attempt is inconsistent, strained and a slightly hollow experience. Hence, it is now widely disrespected.
Granted the Westwood dub was rushed and poorly directed in parts but in my experience a lot of the criticism towards it doesn't come from an objective mindset. It's usually kneejerk reactions to it being different or people disliking it for other reasons such as the music. Having grown up with it I'm admittedly a little bias but I do think there are a lot of gems in that dub such as Brad Swaile's Gohan among others.
SX10 wrote:As for additional sound FX, I hope they have re-thought that and decided against it. But it's not likely. We can't be that lucky.
I've personally always thought the additional sound effects enhanced the action and comedic scenes so I don't mind them being in the dub. I think most people see Schemmel's description of a "woosh" during a head turn and exaggerate it in their minds. When you go back and see how they handled sounds in the past it was never intrusive aside from a handful of examples (infamous apple crunch being one of them).
SX10 wrote:
Another actor to add to the list is Saffron Henderson. She mentioned on Twitter not too long ago that she was "temporarily replaced but got to do lots more" so that could be hinting at her reprised the role of Gohan in Kai.
SX10 wrote:Great thing here is, Lee Tockar runs Fan Built. His interests clearly leak over from acting and into production. If anyone has some relevant information, or the ability to successfully seek it out, it will be him.
A few fans on Twitter did ask him for more info after his mistaken announcement and he even promised to call his agent for more info on it. Despite this he went quiet about it shortly afterwards. My guess is he got in trouble and didn't want to risk saying any more. The NDAs for this dub are a real pain.
SX10 wrote:I've also came across this interesting entry on an anime website:
http://www.crystalacids.com/database/ti ... -kai-toei/

I've e-mailed them about it, but to no avail. Looks like this is an in-house Ocean production though. The names seem attached to some high quality work.
Huh, interesting find. Only name I recognize from that is Ken Morrison who was featured in the credits of the GT Blue Water dub.
That would be great if they did announce the dub as some sort of anniversary project however I feel that this might not be the case simply due to none of the former Goku actors reprising the role. If they were planning on a reunion you'd naturally expect the crown jewel (Goku) to be the main draw but from what I've seen on Twitter both Ian Corlett and kelamis claimed they weren't aware of Kai and probably weren't even contacted to reprise the role. The fact that Kirby Morrow was turned down for being "too cool" as well as the new pronunciation of Namek point to this not being primarily for a a nostalgic audience. If Funimation were behind this dub I think that would definitely be the route they'd take but in this case the people in charge seem to have something else in mind.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:11 pm

Those are some great points Nitro!

If Scott McNeil gets the mythology, we can be sure he's going to bring a respectful a-game. Brian Drummond himself said that C. Sabat sounded much more princely and I think he knows he's got to bring something similar to the table now. Originally, the direction given to him for the character was that he was a Super Saiyan and was this small tough guy - so not a lot to work with.
NitroEX wrote:Granted the Westwood dub was rushed and poorly directed in parts but in my experience a lot of the criticism towards it doesn't come from an objective mindset. It's usually kneejerk reactions to it being different or people disliking it for other reasons such as the music. Having grown up with it I'm admittedly a little bias but I do think there are a lot of gems in that dub such as Brad Swaile's Gohan among others.
I definitely see that. It was similar to the reaction some of the more casual fans had towards Funimation's Kai dub when first released. I agree, there were gems during that era and Brad Swaile's Gohan was certainly one of them! Fingers crossed he's back for Final Chapters!
NitroEX wrote:I've personally always thought the additional sound effects enhanced the action and comedic scenes so I don't mind them being in the dub. I think most people see Schemmel's description of a "woosh" during a head turn and exaggerate it in their minds. When you go back and see how they handled sounds in the past it was never intrusive aside from a handful of examples (infamous apple crunch being one of them).
You know, I have to admit, I never noticed any added sound FX until is was pointed out to me and it did add something extra. The more comedic sounds were where they were supposed to be and didn't affect the more serious moments at all.
NitroEX wrote:Another actor to add to the list is Saffron Henderson. She mentioned on Twitter not too long ago that she was "temporarily replaced but got to do lots more" so that could be hinting at her reprised the role of Gohan in Kai.
That's really exciting news! She was perfect!

As for Lee Tockar, I was one of the people bugging him :lol: he said he'd call his agent and then later mentioned that he can't confirm much. The NDAs seem to restrict performers discussing any show not officially announced or released.

Glad you like the link! I just stumbled across it a while ago. It was a strange and interesting find.

This whole take does seem to be independent to the original run in many ways. Even since last year, I just had this weird feeling that it would be 2016. But I'll wait as long as it takes. I don't see us fans letting this slip into obscurity at all ;)

Interesting point, the TGTZ interview with Brian Drummond - in his words - when asked if he was reprising the role of Vegeta, he said: "I do play that role…". It was a fairly recent interview, he was using present tense, verrrrry interesting ;)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am

You know, the identity of "Subzero Ice" is of interest to me. Whoever he* is, he seems to have A LOT of info. To go over a few quick points:

-He was the first--and I mean, the very first--person to ever acknowledge that there was an Ocean dub of Kai going on. The first person in a relatively high-up position to acknowledge it was Sean Schemmel, responding to a post of Subzero Ice's on his Facebook page, but Subzero Ice was the first to acknowledge it in the first place. Schemmel also asked Subzero Ice how he would know what he knew, as it was supposed to be "strictly internal FUNimation info" at that point. Subzero Ice did not respond.

-He's the one who broke the story about Kix (the UK TV network that airs Kai) being aware of the Ocean dub but not being given the option to use it by Toei.

-He even called himself "Subzero Ice" on his Facebook page. Whoever he is, he's obviously somebody who feels his identity needs to be protected for job security reasons.

Either way, in the almost five years that have passed since we first began hearing whispers about this dub, there's enough stuff to talk about for a thread...not to mention enough mysteries for a novel.

*Or she, as we have no way of knowing for sure, but I'll write "he" only since it's one less letter and, therefore, less work to type.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:48 am

Interesting! I wasn't sure if Kirby Morrow's acknowledgement came first or if it was Subzero Ice's.

I found Ice's Facebook profile after a quick Google search, through a comment left on Sean Schemmel's page. However, the original posts have been removed, as you all know :(

I also remember reading that he messaged Scott McNeil's page about how excited he was for the dub - a good while before Scott mentioned it himself.

Seems he knows about this stuff, hears about it, but is not directly involved. Unless he is and he's just covering himself (cannot blame him).

Another thing! The audio of Kirby Morrow confirming Kai is on YouTube, sure, but I've since downloaded and re-downloaded the actual podcast episode of Voiceprint… and maybe I'm just a terrible listener, but that conversation has been removed.

Like, expertly removed, because I had finished it all before realising the conversation had been cut. I went back to look for it - vanished.

I was talking about this with my partner (she could not be less interested, but she listens :lol: ). The way she sees it, the info being leaked is a bit convenient. She thinks it's intentionally there to get us talking.

Not entirely convinced about that though. Subzero Ice did say protecting the info on this was a full time job and that some employees do patrol the forums.

So if you're out there and you're reading this - Hi :D you know what we want! Haha

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:55 am

While I wasn't the biggest fan of Kirby Morrow as Goku, I'm not sure replacing Miroku with Inuyasha is the right place to go. Between that role and Ranma, my experiences with Richard Ian Cox don't lead me to think he'd make the ideal Goku. Of course, he could prove himself good in the role, but I can only speculate based on prior experience until we get something that shows to the contrary.

I wonder how long they can try (and fail miserably) to keep this show under wraps before they either release it or confirm its death...I wonder if they'll have to renew the rights before they actually end up releasing it.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:43 pm

I've had a listen to RIC's work on, "Being Ian" and it was quite different. I get voice actors bring a certain natural sound with them, but his actual voice seems higher in pitch than when he plays Inuyasha. I could see him being similar to Corlett or Kelamis.

I dunno about licensing issues. I just hope there's a station where the content will get the slot and audience it deserves.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:27 pm

NitroEX wrote:If you want to keep posting I have no problem with that, just don't expect people to not notice some of the contradictions in your posts.
What fucking contradictions? Everything I pointed out about why this dub isn't going to be released isn't contradicting whatsoever.

As for me moving past hope of this ever being released after July, I have But I can still fucking post here, so don't tell me otherwise.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:25 am

Didn't Ocean do the edits for the Nicktoons broadcast of Kai?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:14 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Didn't Ocean do the edits for the Nicktoons broadcast of Kai?
That's right, they did. I've got to wonder if it was part of some sort of deal.