Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:17 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Tried to inform Richard Ian Cox about the dub apparently being cancelled on his tumblr, but also that I liked him in Inuyasha and Gundam 00. He ignored the mentioning of the dub, but was appreciative of the fact that I liked him in those dubs. I wonder why the voice actors weren't informed by the producers yet that it wasn't coming out.
Their pay isn't determined by whether or not the dub gets released. IIRC the BC branch of ACTRA doesn't offer royalties.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:33 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Tried to inform Richard Ian Cox about the dub apparently being cancelled on his tumblr, but also that I liked him in Inuyasha and Gundam 00. He ignored the mentioning of the dub, but was appreciative of the fact that I liked him in those dubs. I wonder why the voice actors weren't informed by the producers yet that it wasn't coming out.
Their pay isn't determined by whether or not the dub gets released. IIRC the BC branch of ACTRA doesn't offer royalties.
That's rather sad. I mean, they aren't even informed that their work isn't coming out, which is unfair.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:31 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
That's rather sad. I mean, they aren't even informed that their work isn't coming out, which is unfair.
Why's it unfair? They did their job, they got paid. What happens with that project isn't really any of their concern. Plus considering the VA leaks previous it wouldn't surprise me that whoever produced this dub doesn't want any further leaks on this dub in the very slim chance it does ever get a release.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:04 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I tried to understand his stance soooo hard, but I dont get it and I dont think I ever will...but he said the Mexican dub is god tier so he's aces for me! :mrgreen: Aguante Ahmed!

...That means Hooray Ahmed!
8000 Saiyan wrote:you seem to contradict yourself a lot.
psst, hint: Sometimes I'm being ironic to prove a point because maybe I'm mad about something? Would someone who truly didnt care..look up these things in the first place? Do Jinzoningen, gravitypriest, Hujio, Herms, Meri, Rach, Cipher, EX (obviously not trying to be rude here - these guys contribute tremendously to proper DB understanding in general, dubs aside) profess things like union/non-union rates, VA union status/living arrangements, or heck, bring up the fact that DB dub VA's are incredibly underpaid, etc., in the first place?

I guess I try to make a point, but the sarcasm is clearly not "subtly apparent", & I end up just annoying fellow dub fans. ugh. I am a terrible troll. :(

What do I "contradict myself" on? (Not that I disagree w/you)
You say you're not a gamer, yet on Reddit you said that you have played Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 13. The same goes for cartoons, where you say you don't watch them, yet you said on the same site you love Futurama and Wolverine and the X-Men, which are cartoons. What are you trying to do? Act like you are a different person on Reddit? Sorry, buddy, but you can't trick me.

And here's my favourite: In another thread, you say you don't mind if English voice actors don't sound like the Japanese, but you complain that Vegeta, Yamcha and Piccolo aren't voiced by tenors.

Now, for something that doesn't have anything to do with this contradiction answer: What is it with you using RIP in this Reddit thread, https://www.reddit.com/r/Animedubs/comm ... ership_to/, when Kaye, Sobolov and Devall aren't dead?

You also seem to have a huge bias against Funimation, and act as if their voice actors aren't good enough. I prefer Vancouver and Los Angeles voice actors, but we're not in 1999 anymore. They can act just as good as Vancouver and Los Angeles voice actors can, although I have to admit I'm getting tired of just getting Funimation dubs, and hope Vancouver gets anime to dub again. I was angry and disappointed when Funimation didn't give the rights to Ocean for a redub of Escaflowne. Vancouver VA's are simply underestimated for their talent. When it came to Escaflowne, they had the right actors, not the right script or direction. Kelly Sheridan, in particular, could have easily improved a lot.

Besides, there IS no such thing as a proper dub.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:06 pm

Since it's unlikely that the producers are going to reveal that the dub has been canceled officially, should we cancel this thread?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:35 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Since it's unlikely that the producers are going to reveal that the dub has been canceled officially, should we cancel this thread?
That's up to the mods. As such, I have no real say in this, but just for the sake of giving my opinion...I say we keep it open and just make sure to not post anything unless there's a real news update. I'm 99.99% sure we won't see this dub, but even after all this, I still hold out a 0.01% hope that maybe, someday, we might. Kai still hasn't aired on Canadian TV, and it took...how many years for the FUNimation dub of The Final Chapters to come out?

I'm acting under the assumption that we'll never see this dub, but if there's one thing I've learned about the Dragon Ball franchise over the years, it's that it will never be short on shocking and weird announcements.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:37 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Since it's unlikely that the producers are going to reveal that the dub has been canceled officially, should we cancel this thread?
That's up to the mods. As such, I have no real say in this, but just for the sake of giving my opinion...I say we keep it open and just make sure to not post anything unless there's a real news update. I'm 99.99% sure we won't see this dub, but even after all this, I still hold out a 0.01% hope that maybe, someday, we might. Kai still hasn't aired on Canadian TV, and it took...how many years for the FUNimation dub of The Final Chapters to come out?

I'm acting under the assumption that we'll never see this dub, but if there's one thing I've learned about the Dragon Ball franchise over the years, it's that it will never be short on shocking and weird announcements.
If this dub isn't airing on Canadian TV, then the producers should just stream the damn dub on the internet. Do they really think people on the internet aren't interested in this dub? They have nothing to lose if they stream it.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:42 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:

If this dub isn't airing on Canadian TV, then the producers should just stream the damn dub on the internet. Do they really think people on the internet aren't interested in this dub? They have nothing to lose if they stream it.
I agree, but the producers of this dub can't just unilaterally decide that. Streaming rights are indeed an actual, legal thing that has to be negotiated with the original animation company (Toei, in this case) and paid for by the producers of the dub. I don't have a completely clear understanding if FUNimation's streaming rights extend to Canada, but I know they at least have them in the U.S., and Canadian Kanzenshuuers have said that they were able to watch the show on the Nicktoons website when Nicktoons was still streaming it.

Which, again, leaves me completely baffled as to why the dub producers went ahead with paying for a giant, 98-episode dub before a Canadian TV network expressed interest in airing this TV-only dub. That, to me, is one of the most bizarrely short-sighted financial decisions in show biz that I've ever heard of.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:49 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:

I agree, but the producers of this dub can't just unilaterally decide that. Streaming rights are indeed an actual, legal thing that has to be negotiated with the original animation company (Toei, in this case) and paid for by the producers of the dub. I don't have a completely clear understanding if FUNimation's streaming rights extend to Canada, but I know they at least have them in the U.S., and Canadian Kanzenshuuers have said that they were able to watch the show on the Nicktoons website when Nicktoons was still streaming it.

Which, again, leaves me completely baffled as to why the dub producers went ahead with paying for a giant, 98-episode dub before TV rights were secured for this TV-only dub. That, to me, is one of the most bizarrely short-sighted financial decisions in show biz that I've ever heard of.
~

They probably thought that it would simply air because Dragon Ball is popular. If this dub won't ever truly air, then I want a list of the cast who worked on it.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:51 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:They probably thought that it would simply air because Dragon Ball is popular. Releasing Dragon Ball Kai's Ocean dub in Canada would be the perfect way to bring anime back to Canadian TV.
Agreed again. I've long been of the belief that they acted under the, "It's Dragon Ball, of course someone's gonna be interested!"-mentality. The fact that no one was should be a powerful reminder that the anime industry is just not what it once was...and a painful financial loss for whoever paid for the directors, engineers, writers, and actors for this 98-episode dub.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:38 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: If this dub isn't airing on Canadian TV, then the producers should just stream the damn dub on the internet. Do they really think people on the internet aren't interested in this dub? They have nothing to lose if they stream it.
Not up to them. Funimation most likely hold all the cards when it comes to home releases and streaming rights across the US and Canada and there's no way they're streaming another dub over their own.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I say we keep it open and just make sure to not post anything unless there's a real news update.
This. It gets a bit annoying to constantly see this thread bumped back up for no real reason. If someone finds any bits of new info such as cast members, a potential Canadian TV air date or new rumours regarding the production (preferably with some evidence) then we'd all appreciate it but if it's not that then you're kind of getting people's hopes up for nothing.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:52 am

I think we will see it eventually. Because of the way Canadian broadcast regs favour Canadian content, if Kai airs in Canada, I'm almost certain they'll use the Ocean dub.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Even though the Rock the Dragon set came out 3 years later, I wonder if it was testing the waters here to see how well Ocean would still do? That set still feels very random.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:05 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I think we will see it eventually. Because of the way Canadian broadcast regs favour Canadian content, if Kai airs in Canada, I'm almost certain they'll use the Ocean dub.
Hopefully, unless they've given up pitching it to the networks and written it off as a tax loss which would (as far as I understand) scrap the broadcast rights altogether. It's been revealed that CN has done this sort of thing to shows they deem as failures in the past such as IGPX, Megas XLR and Sym-Bionic Titan (although IGPX was an exception as it was later revived for Toonami). Since this dub's only source of revenue was going to be a television broadcast with no hope of a DVD/Blu Ray or streamed release I would imagine there's a very real possibility they've given up on it completely by this point.
eledoremassis02 wrote:even tho the rock the dragon set came out 3 years later I wonder if it was testing the waters here to see how well ocean would still do? That set still feels very random
I wouldn't look too far into that. The Saban/Funi dub was the only Ocean dubbed material that Funimation actually owned. They likely just made that set to get one last use out of the footage and make a quick buck while DVD was still viable. I'd imagine that Pioneer probably took a substantial amount of the profits from the original Ocean dubbed releases so Funimation likely wanted to squeeze what was left now that all the rights reverted back to them. If they actually cared about that dub I don't think they'd have put such little effort into the RTD set, I mean it wouldn't have been hard to give us some retrospective interviews from the Canadian actors or something. Instead all we got was a poorly printed booklet and no extras.

Based on how it's now sold out everywhere I don't think it sold poorly either, they probably could've tried to acquire the Westwood dubbed episodes for a future release if they wanted but the difference is they'd have to pay someone else for the rights to that footage since it wasn't theirs to begin with.

Don't forget, this year was the anniversary of the Ocean dub and there wasn't a single acknowledgement made by Funimation, not even tweet. That says it all really.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:08 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:

While The Final Chapters dub was certainly long overdue I can't help but feel that unlike Ocean Kai it was inevitable because the Funimation version had a TV deal and it just took Toonami forever to get there because they ran all of Kai at the pace of one episode a week. But I agree while I've personally lost a lot of hope this dub will be released Dragon Ball just seems to be one of those franchises where the phrase "never say never" is often true.

That said I'm still curious about Lee Tockar's revelation he was cleared to say he's playing Freeza and hope we will hear more soon about what the story was on that. I know that as a voice actor he's not privy to distribution info but if by some miracle this dub is still happening it would be nice to hear about its official status from other sources as a follow-up (although since this dub was never officially announced I'd imagine in the 0.01% chance it is still going ahead all we will hear is confirmation a Canadian network licensed Kai and the airdate, possibly not even specifying the dub that will be used).
eledoremassis02 wrote:even tho the rock the dragon set came out 3 years later I wonder if it was testing the waters here to see how well ocean would still do? That set still feels very random
It may have been an attempt by Funimation to test the waters in terms of whether or not there was still interest in the dubs they produced with the Ocean cast (It is for this reason I don't doubt the likelihood for a re-release of the Pioneer trilogy, perhaps on Blu-Ray?). They haven't shown any interest in the Ocean cast dubs they didn't create (the Westwood dub is another example) however so unless they had any involvement in the production of the Ocean Kai dub other than using their edited footage (which isn't likely) I wouldn't count on them doing anything to get it out. The way I could see this dub getting a Rock the Dragon-style limited edition release would be if Funimation released a collector's Kai edition with the two TV Kai dubs (Funimation and Ocean respectively), I would absolutely buy a release like that just to see this dub (and introduce my future kids to the Funi Kai dub if the wife thought there was too much profanity) but it probably wouldn't recoup the costs of production since dub-only home releases don't sell well, much less censored versions when the standard release contains the uncut equivalent.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:41 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:That said I'm still curious about Lee Tockar's revelation he was cleared to say he's playing Freeza and hope we will hear more soon about what the story was on that. I know that as a voice actor he's not privy to distribution info but if by some miracle this dub is still happening it would be nice to hear about its official status from other sources as a follow-up (although since this dub was never officially announced I'd imagine in the 0.01% chance it is still going ahead all we will hear is confirmation a Canadian network licensed Kai and the airdate, possibly not even specifying the dub that will be used).
It's possible that the producers knew that people were aware of this dub's existence, so they told Tockar it was okay to confirm his role as Frieza.

MondoCool

Post by MondoCool » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:33 pm

I swear I don't like to self-promote, but I just felt like this was perfect lol
https://youtu.be/YGtpKE4TX_A

But in all seriousness, I grew up on the Ocean dub and definitely don't hate it. I remember being royally confused when Krillin's voice drastically changed (or at least I felt it was drastic at age 10ish)

Even though I don't see the dub itself happening as at this point we will have three English versions of the show, what would be really interesting to be is if Ocean and Faulconer Productions teamed up.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:42 pm

I dont get it you just said no version was coming out, why in the world would they cooperate with Faulconer and why is it interesting if this dub is never coming out?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:49 am

I think I've lost all hope on the chances of this dub ever airing. What a shame. I so wanted Ocean to prove to some of the DB fanbase that they're truly talented, but it doesn't seem it'll ever happen.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:31 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I think I've lost all hope on the chances of this dub ever airing. What a shame. I so wanted Ocean to prove to some of the DB fanbase that they're truly talented, but it doesn't seem it'll ever happen.
I think they already proved that they were talented back in the early Saban/Pioneer dub days. It's the Westwood dub that damaged their reputation among the fanbase. Had Ocean Kai aired and turned out to be good it could have been seen as something of a redemption for them, even though the way the Westwood dub turned out wasn't entirely the fault of the actors.