Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:30 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: If I recall correctly nobody calls him Yami in the dub. It was mostly "the pharaoh" which isn't making up a name at all
Actually, they do. On many occasions as well. Actually, right after they beat Pegasus, The Other Yuugi introduces himself in the dub as Yami. No joke. And numerous people call him that afterward. Here's the episode for reference. It'd take me a lot of time to find the numerous ones where they call him that but I don't mind doing it.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:09 am

Bansho64 wrote:I'm starting think the chance of this dub actually coming out, is about similar to the chance of an excellent dub of the original Yu-Gi-Oh anime coming out. Both will probably never happen :cry:
It does seem that way. I still think there's a slim chance it could eventually appear on TV somewhere since it is complete and ready to go but at this point I'm starting to feel like Seymour waiting for Fry.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:31 am

I still have hopes that this dub will be released. It would be a waste of money if it never saw the light of day.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:59 am

Yep, until the day comes where the FUNi dub is aired on Canadian networks there is always hope no matter how slim it is.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:10 pm

I'm holding out big hope! Just hope people have been emailing Teletoon asking for the Ocean dub.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:26 pm

thomas1up wrote:Yep, until the day comes where the FUNi dub is aired on Canadian networks there is always hope no matter how slim it is.
The FUNi dub won't air as long as Canadian content laws exist.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:42 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
thomas1up wrote:Yep, until the day comes where the FUNi dub is aired on Canadian networks there is always hope no matter how slim it is.
The FUNi dub won't air as long as Canadian content laws exist.
I don't think content laws will prevent the Funimation dub from airing. The fact broadcasters air the American dubs of Pokémon, and now Yu-Gi-Oh! shows it isn't necessary for a Canadian alternate dub to be produced for any anime that airs (and to my knowledge neither Pokémon nor Yu-Gi-Oh! ever had a Canadian dub created for them).

Although no Canadian network seems to be interested in Dragon Ball Kai but if one does in the future I hope they will buy the Ocean dub, the fact it was made in Canada would make it the economically-preferable choice.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Foreign shows are not illegal under Canadian law, and air all the time (what Canadian TV network in their right mind is going to turn down Game of Thrones, for example?). The Canadian Content Laws don't make foreign content illegal, it just mandates that every network has to have a certain amount of Canadian content. Once that quota has been filled, they're allowed to air foreign content. Actually, if I recall correctly, despite being produced in Canada, the Westwood dub actually began airing in the UK first. The FUNimation dub was on Canadian TV until one day it was switched out with the Westwood dub without explanation.

Must've been a surprise for Canadians. "Wait, whoa, the old voices are back!?"
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:40 pm

Pity they couldn't get David Kaye back for Recoome since he works in LA. I hope that the new voice won't be a Sabat imitation.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:47 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
I don't think content laws will prevent the Funimation dub from airing. The fact broadcasters air the American dubs of Pokémon, and now Yu-Gi-Oh! shows it isn't necessary for a Canadian alternate dub to be produced for any anime that airs (and to my knowledge neither Pokémon nor Yu-Gi-Oh! ever had a Canadian dub created for them).

Although no Canadian network seems to be interested in Dragon Ball Kai but if one does in the future I hope they will buy the Ocean dub, the fact it was made in Canada would make it the economically-preferable choice.
If I recall correctly, Pokémon had a French Canadian dub recorded in Quebec : http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... _in_Canada

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:36 am

Tian wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

If I recall correctly, Pokémon had a French Canadian dub recorded in Quebec : http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... _in_Canada
But the Quebec Pokémon dub is French so it wouldn't be an obstacle for the 4Kids dub when it comes to broadcast. My point in response to 8000 Saiyan was that Pokémon is an example of the fact Canadian networks can and have aired American dubs of anime, and thus it is not essential for native alternatives (such as a Canadian-produced English dub) to be used as substitutes, and therefore while we would all hope it won't happen it is possible the Funimation dub of Kai could get a Canadian broadcast. Although it would be pretty redundant at this stage when Kai is no longer a big deal for the fanbase at large, an Ocean dub would feel less so since its still new in the sense that it's never been released in any shape or form. Apologies for the confusion, I probably should have specified Canadian English dubs.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:22 pm

Canada should get Toonami. If that ever happened, I'm sure they could air Ocean Kai.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:08 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Canada should get Toonami. If that ever happened, I'm sure they could air Ocean Kai.
Although I agree with this, I don't think it's Ocean Kai is dependent on a Toonami block or something of the sort to air.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:45 pm

If they can't get a TV airing, could have the Ocean dub of Kai get a home video and digital release? Kai is already several years old, so it would be interesting if Ocean could move on to dubbing Super.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:52 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:If they can't get a TV airing, could have the Ocean dub of Kai get a home video and digital release? Kai is already several years old, so it would be interesting if Ocean could move on to dubbing Super.
Probably not, which is a shame. Perhaps we could ask the producers of the dub to stream it.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:For example, I think the actors in the original dub of Sailor Moon did a great job considering the material given to them, but the material given to them was--for the most part--not compatible with the act of producing a faithful English version of the original show.
I'm surprised you like the DiC dub of Sailor Moon, since many people despise it. Many people feel that most of the voice actors, with the exception of Susan Roman, Jeff Lumby, Katie Griffin, Vince Corazza and Rino Romano, were miscast.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:04 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:If they can't get a TV airing, could have the Ocean dub of Kai get a home video and digital release? Kai is already several years old, so it would be interesting if Ocean could move on to dubbing Super.
A home video release has almost no chance of happening since FUNimation has both the home video and the streaming rights. If it weren't for the release of the "Rock the Dragon" box set a few years ago (which most of us thought was fake at first), I would have gone ahead and written that it has literally no chance of getting released.

An Ocean dub of Super would certainly be interesting, though, and it seems more feasible at this point. They better make sure they get a TV deal first this time instead of dubbing the whole show only to find out no one's interested.

8000 Saiyan wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:For example, I think the actors in the original dub of Sailor Moon did a great job considering the material given to them, but the material given to them was--for the most part--not compatible with the act of producing a faithful English version of the original show.
I'm surprised you like the DiC dub of Sailor Moon, since many people despise it. Many people feel that most of the voice actors, with the exception of Susan Roman, Jeff Lumby, Katie Griffin, Vince Corazza and Rino Romano, were miscast.
Well, I didn't say I liked it. I said I think the actors in it did a good job considering the material given to them.

The material given to them was the problem. The director of that dub, Roland Parliament, wrote a book on the production of the dub, and it turns out the top priority of the producers was to get the dub released as quickly as possible, which led to countless problems. My post wasn't to excuse bad dubs, it was simply to point out that actors are often not the culprits when a dub is bad. They're the most remembered aspect of the dub, but they have next to zero influence in how a dub is handled...by the time they get in the booth, countless decisions--from people higher up on the food chain--have already been made that either make their job easy or exceedingly difficult. Even miscasts are the fault of the directors and casting directors, not the actors.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:26 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
A home video release has almost no chance of happening since FUNimation has both the home video and the streaming rights. If it weren't for the release of the "Rock the Dragon" box set a few years ago (which most of us thought was fake at first), I would have gone ahead and written that it has literally no chance of getting released.

An Ocean dub of Super would certainly be interesting, though, and it seems more feasible at this point. They better make sure they get a TV deal first this time instead of dubbing the whole show only to find out no one's interested.

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Well, I didn't say I liked it. I said I think the actors in it did a good job considering the material given to them.

The material given to them was the problem. The director of that dub, Roland Parliament, wrote a book on the production of the dub, and it turns out the top priority of the producers was to get the dub released as quickly as possible, which led to countless problems. My post wasn't to excuse bad dubs, it was simply to point out that actors are often not the culprits when a dub is bad. They're the most remembered aspect of the dub, but they have next to zero influence in how a dub is handled...by the time they get in the booth, countless decisions--from people higher up on the food chain--have already been made that either make their job easy or exceedingly difficult. Even miscasts are the fault of the directors and casting directors, not the actors.
I'm aware that miscasts are the fault of the voice and casting directors, but you know how sometimes fans mindlessly blame the actors for the problems of a dub. And sorry for misunderstanding your post.

While I'd love to see a Ocean dub of Super, I can't see it happening.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:38 pm

I think an Ocean dub of Super would be very interesting. Although, given how long it's taken Funimation to even start recording their dub, I doubt Ocean would be able to get their own dub of it out any time soon.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:17 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm surprised you like the DiC dub of Sailor Moon, since many people despise it. Many people feel that most of the voice actors, with the exception of Susan Roman, Jeff Lumby, Katie Griffin, Vince Corazza and Rino Romano, were miscast.
I'm actually surprised most people didn't like Tracey Moore as well who IMHO is the one and only true english VA for Sailor Moon and I will always stand by that (nothing against Terri Hawks or Stephanie Sheh but Moore just sounded more natural for a teenage girl in comparison and don't even get me started on the train wreck that is Linda Ballantyne) I also liked Naz Edwards as Queen Beryl and Tony Daniels as Jadeite (I really wish those three could've came back and reprised those roles for the VIZ dub... hey I can dream can't I), oh can't forget Wendy Lyon as Usagi's mother/Queen Serenity ;).

On Topic: I've pretty much given up hope on ever seeing Ocean Kai at this point and have accepted the simple fact that it'll probably remain in Ocean's vaults (and before you start saying I'm not being optimistic in light of the recent developments think about this for a second, we're going on 6 years now since this thread started 6 years, and what does anybody have to show for all that time? Zip nada zilch, not a single thing has changed as it relates to seeing this dub released to the public so we're pretty much still at square one, it's kinda hard to keep up the hope when you take these facts into consideration and how much time has passed y'know, then again I also pretty much gave up hope that Shenmue III would ever happen after 10+ years and I see how that turned out so who knows, maybe I'll be proven wrong here although realistically speaking the chances of that dwindle more and more with each passing day).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:09 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I think an Ocean dub of Super would be very interesting. Although, given how long it's taken Funimation to even start recording their dub, I doubt Ocean would be able to get their own dub of it out any time soon.
Funimation has started dubbing DBS, it got leaked but they covered it up quick.