Dragon Ball Z Kai - Part Eight

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Z Kai - Part Eight (8) Extras You'd Like To

Post by funrush » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:35 pm

Bee wrote:Commentary. I would freaking love that.
That would be cool. I love the commentary on the One Piece DVD's.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:01 am

So since Brina Palencia, Greg Ayres, Justin Cook, Sean Schemmel, Sonny Strait and Vic Mignogna did their Dragon Soul versions, I'd love to hear Gohan's Dragon Soul (Colleen Clinkenbeard).

If FUNimation got their Goku to sing Dragon Soul, then the child of Goku might as well do it too. :D
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:48 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:So since Brina Palencia, Greg Ayres, Justin Cook, Sean Schemmel, Sonny Strait and Vic Mignogna did their Dragon Soul versions, I'd love to hear Gohan's Dragon Soul (Colleen Clinkenbeard).

If FUNimation got their Goku to sing Dragon Soul, then the child of Goku might as well do it too. :D
How bout a Dameon Clarke Cell singing Dragon Soul? XD
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:23 am

Gonstead wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:So since Brina Palencia, Greg Ayres, Justin Cook, Sean Schemmel, Sonny Strait and Vic Mignogna did their Dragon Soul versions, I'd love to hear Gohan's Dragon Soul (Colleen Clinkenbeard).

How bout a Dameon Clarke Cell singing Dragon Soul? XD
That too.

I'd love to take a photo with him, and Colleen, plus an autograph from both of them, probably won't ever happen because I don't live in US. :P
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:59 pm

A trailer for a Funimation rifftrack of Dragonball Evolution (I know TFS have done it already, but it would be pretty interesting to hear Funi's take on that movie)
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Hades wrote:A trailer for a Funimation rifftrack of Dragonball Evolution (I know TFS have done it already, but it would be pretty interesting to hear Funi's take on that movie)
How would that have any relevancy on a Dragon Ball Z Kai release?
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:12 pm

Corporate_Nothing wrote:
Hades wrote:A trailer for a Funimation rifftrack of Dragonball Evolution (I know TFS have done it already, but it would be pretty interesting to hear Funi's take on that movie)
How would that have any relevancy on a Dragon Ball Z Kai release?
Well, it could go on to a "coming soon" extra, the same way trailers for forthcoming projects are on a dvd.

But directly pertaining to Kai, perhaps the main VAs could have an interview panel about the main ups and downs of Kai and how it has gone for them.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:16 pm

Not entirely sure it's the right place, but it looks like we got a cover.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=109732

Kind of a predictable choice, but I like it...though I gotta say, the art on Goku's face looks...off...
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:23 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Not entirely sure it's the right place, but it looks like we got a cover.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=109732

Kind of a predictable choice, but I like it...though I gotta say, the art on Goku's face looks...off...
Well, it's not bad but the Japanese design is much better, here it is:

Or optionally:

To me, that design for Kai 8 does not do justice, try to do a replica of the Japanese design, if that's the real cover.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:50 pm

I really like the cover for Part 8 and will go as far to say that this is probably my favorite cover art for Kai (of the Funimation sets). The red banner goes very nicely as well.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:37 pm

I'd have to say I like both of those Japanese covers a lot better too. Maybe we'll get lucky and this one is just a placeholder.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:04 am

I like this cover that was revealed but, I have a problem with it at the same time. However the Japanese cover has a non SSJ Goku which is really weird and diminishes my ability to like it!! The English Cover is more accurate but goku really looks off the way he is drawn!!! The Facial Expression of Gohan seems better to me but at the same time less intense!!! The alternate cover is awesome but I want a cover to feature SSJ2 Gohan since the orange bricks, Dragon Boxes never did!!! Overall I like the cover but I think part four was my favorite!!!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:10 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote:I like this cover that was revealed but, I have a problem with it at the same time. However the Japanese cover has a non SSJ Goku which is really weird and diminishes my ability to like it!! The English Cover is more accurate but goku really looks off the way he is drawn!!!
Have you ever read the original manga? Goku isn't SSJ in it. And yeah, Goku looks really weird in this cover. I'm sure that I can draw him better.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:03 am

I'm just glad seeing Gohan on the cover! But wow..comparing it with the Japanese cover, for shame...Why even change it?

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:06 am

I like the Japanese version MUCH better. I dunno how to describe it... I guess I just feel more emotion coming from that artwork as opposed to the FUNimation one.

That's not to say I dislike the FUNimation one. It's still cool and I like it, I just like the Japanese version better. Glad to finally see Gohan make a cover.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:58 pm

kei17 wrote:Have you ever read the original manga? Goku isn't SSJ in it.
Yes, he is. It's quite clearly the Super Saiyan hair, it's just colored darkly, perhaps to make it look "spectral" or something.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:02 pm

My biggest problem with this cover is the lack of intensity on Gohan's face. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:05 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Image
Wow! Is there a higher quality version of this image floating around anywhere? I would like to see it.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:15 pm

I like the flow of this cover; the color scheme of Goku and Gohan goes nicely with the red bar. But I don't like the artwork. Not that it's 'off' (which it is) as people are complaining about, but that, compared to the Japanese cover, it doesn't feel like it has enough power behind the art.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:52 pm

I don't really mind the artwork. Stuff like that comes second compared to the content inside.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)