Shout outs to TFS in Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Shout outs to TFS in Kai

Post by Hades » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:01 am

I know that Funimation made references to DBZ Abridged in Kai, such as Goku saying that Mr. Popo is quite scary when he's angry (episode 80 or 81, not sure which), or Nappa raging about the media.

Were there other references to DBZ Abridged in the Kai dub?
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Re: Shout outs to TFS in Kai

Post by matt0044 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:35 am

Hades wrote:I know that Funimation made references to DBZ Abridged in Kai, such as Goku saying that Mr. Popo is quite scary when he's angry (episode 80 or 81, not sure which), or Nappa raging about the media.

Chris Ayres as Freeza.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:40 am

I don't understand -- how are any of those references to TeamFourStar?

I can't speak to the Mr. Popo one, but the Nappa one just seems like terrible writing, and properly casting Freeza after 14 years or so isn't a reference to someone else, it's just good dubbing practice (and seemed like it was necessary to do what they wanted to do with the character, which is to say -- again -- properly dubbing him).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:59 am

VegettoEX wrote:I don't understand -- how are any of those references to TeamFourStar?

I can't speak to the Mr. Popo one, but the Nappa one just seems like terrible writing, and properly casting Freeza after 14 years or so isn't a reference to someone else, it's just good dubbing practice (and seemed like it was necessary to do what they wanted to do with the character, which is to say -- again -- properly dubbing him).
In episode 8 of the Abridged series, nappa destroys several press helicopters saying "look vegeta, the Paparazzi - I have to protect my image!"

In Episode 80/81 of Kai, Schemmel's Goku says something along the lines of having to fix the ROSAT because he didn't want Mr. Popo to get angry, and abridged Popo is quite scary.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:20 am

The Popo thing did get me to question if it was a nod to TFS.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:30 am

In all likelihood, any "references" there are to TFS are unintentional. However, I did pick up a few myself. Unfortunately, I can't remember the episode numbers in either instance, but both of these can be found on the first volume:

Piccolo, while training Gohan: "DON'T JUST DODGE!"
Kaio-sama/King Kai, talking to Bubbles right after Goku leaves to go back to Earth: "Eh, shut up Bubbles. Just shut up."

I honestly wondered if Nappa's "I hate the media" comment was related to what TFS Nappa said in Episode 7 when he remarked, "Look, Vegeta...the paparazzi. I have to PROTECT MY IMAGE!" I'll be the first to admit that that's not likely, but I didn't find that line to be nearly as distracting as others did. Yes, it did take me out of the moment, but I was able to get back into the moment very easily.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:03 pm

I thought the TFS line was based on the old Z dub anyway. I don't really mind the line either way--why wouldn't Planet Vegeta have mass media thanks to Freeza?
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:27 pm

Funimation are such idiots if they did that. I mean, I appreciate the fact that they payed tribute to TFS, but not in an official dub. Do it in the damn extras/outtakes.

A lot of their new dub didn't sound too pleasing anyway.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:12 pm

SylentEcho wrote:Funimation are such idiots if they did that. I mean, I appreciate the fact that they payed tribute to TFS, but not in an official dub. Do it in the damn extras/outtakes.

It was just a throw away line that had no bearing on the plot and it didn't actually ruin anything. It's really ignorable at best and unlike the Z dub there's no dialogue in Kai's dub that creates inconsistencies and plot holes later on ("Hope of the Universe" anyone?) If it makes you feel better, Nappa's assault on the media was purely filler.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:18 pm

matt0044 wrote:
SylentEcho wrote:Funimation are such idiots if they did that. I mean, I appreciate the fact that they payed tribute to TFS, but not in an official dub. Do it in the damn extras/outtakes.

It was just a throw away line that had no bearing on the plot and it didn't actually ruin anything. It's really ignorable at best and unlike the Z dub there's no dialogue in Kai's dub that creates inconsistencies and plot holes later on ("Hope of the Universe" anyone?) If it makes you feel better, Nappa's assault on the media was purely filler.
Not to mention that, as has been mentioned earlier, there are likely no intentional shout-outs to TFS whatsoever. What few "shout-outs" there are are probably just fans noticing lines that, by way of pure coincidence, have some similarities to the dialogue in DBZ Abridged.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:13 pm

I would argue that a lot of the new dub sounded damn good, but that's besides the point.

It's most likely that it's not a true reference, but rather, there were just some coincidences (at best) that there were some similarities at some point due to an occasional throwaway line.

Trust me, a year of listening to people argue on Rangerboard about whether or not this episode's events on Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger had some reference to the American Power Rangers will make you realize that people will look for the references they want, even if it doesn't exist(Now Go-Busters is referencing Power Rangers, but that's more clearly stated).

Now, if Sabat, one of the writers, etc tells you that a line is a reference, that has a bit more weight than some assumptions.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Mewzard wrote:Trust me, a year of listening to people argue on Rangerboard about whether or not this episode's events on Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger had some reference to the American Power Rangers will make you realize that people will look for the references they want, even if it doesn't exist(Now Go-Busters is referencing Power Rangers, but that's more clearly stated).

Now, if Sabat, one of the writers, etc tells you that a line is a reference, that has a bit more weight than some assumptions.
I generally agree with you, though I'll note that either Sabat and/or others at Funimation have indicated in interviews at cons that they are fully aware of the TFS group's work. When I first heard Nappa's "I hate the media" line, I have to admit that I questioned whether that was a nod to TFS. We'll probably never know, but it's at least conceivable.

The Freeza recast was not, though. I can say that with certainty, again based on interviews. Sabat and Schemmel talked about it at one point and were proud of how good Chris' work was as Freeza because of their new approach with Kai that they didn't take with Z originally. Getting something right doesn't equate to a nod to TFS.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:53 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I don't understand -- how are any of those references to TeamFourStar?

Same here. I know FUNimation aren’t exactly the most professional people in the world, but I don’t think they’d off-handedly toss in references to a fan parody.

They like to make up their own clever jokes anyway. :wink:
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:30 pm

While there seem to be similarities, I don't think they did like X-Men: the Last Stand in putting in a joke like that. For those who never saw that movie, before it came out, this video was made and they made a joke referring to it.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:05 am

Hades wrote:I know that Funimation made references to DBZ Abridged in Kai, such as Goku saying that Mr. Popo is quite scary when he's angry (episode 80 or 81, not sure which), or Nappa raging about the media.

Just heard that Popo one. I really think that one was a nod to Teamfourstar. It was just so out there and weird for them to say that.

SSJ3_Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Gogeta » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:05 pm

I noticed the Popo thing too, and I even considered making a video about it (but I never did).

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:45 pm

I would put the likelihood of this happening at around .0000000000000001%, but it would be unbelievably hilarious if Lanipator got to cameo as Mr. Popo for one line in the Kai dub.