Buu Saga Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Buu Saga Kai

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:49 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
I always was under the assumption that DB (the original anime series) was more popular in Japan.
Do you mean more popular than Z, or more popular than in the rest of the world? The latter's a given, but I'm pretty sure the former isn't. They released the Z Dragon Boxes first and, like I said, they ignored the original for Kai.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:43 am

Well, according to the main site, the original Dragon Ball anime had a slightly higher viewership average than Z. By that I mean it's a .7 difference. :lol: Both series were very popular in Japan, so if Toei was looking specifically at that market they'd be able to choose either. But Toei's a global company and Z's a lot bigger overseas than the original series. The original series doesn't really require a recut tailored to remove filler anyway. Z on the other hand ... There's also the "coincidence" that Kai premiered during Z's 20th anniversary.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:00 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
I always was under the assumption that DB (the original anime series) was more popular in Japan.
If it was like that, we would be seeing more DB DVDs and Kid Goku figures than Adult Goku. Same goes for other anime sequels like One Piece: New World(I call it that) and Naruto Shippuden, if their prequels are still as popular or more popular than the sequels, we'd see more of the PTS characters.

I end that assumption for you, unless you have something else.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:02 pm

How do folks think FUNi will release this?
With 69 episodes I think they'll do this:
Part 9- Eps 1-12
Part 10- Eps 13-24
Part 11- Eps 25- 36
Part 12- Eps 37- 47
Part 13- Eps 48- 58
Part 14- Eps 59-69.

Then a year or so later, 2 parts will make up a "season". So 3 Seasons in total ( they really should have just called them collections but whatever). Fucking hell man, that means the Buu saga will make up approx. 41% of Kai, while Buu Saga is 33% of Z, assuming I done the math right :shock: .

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:13 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:How do folks think FUNi will release this?
With 69 episodes I think they'll do this:
Part 9- Eps 1-12
Part 10- Eps 13-24
Part 11- Eps 25- 36
Part 12- Eps 37- 47
Part 13- Eps 48- 58
Part 14- Eps 59-69.

Then a year or so later, 2 parts will make up a "season". So 3 Seasons in total ( they really should have just called them collections but whatever). Fucking hell man, that means the Buu saga will make up approx. 41% of Kai, while Buu Saga is 33% of Z, assuming I done the math right :shock: .
If they do start the episode numbering from 1, then I would assume they would also start from Part 1 and treat it as it's own show of sorts. My preference would be to just continue like Kai never ended with Part 9, Episode 99. Honestly, I'm caring less and less how they do it and just want them to announce it already. I know it's only been airing in Japan for 4 months, but having been waiting for it for over a year before it even began makes it seem like it's taking forever.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:19 pm

I only started numbering from Ep 1 cuz I couldn't be bothered to work it out from 99 :lol:
But this final chapters sub heading is just awkward.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The Buu saga will make up approx. 41% of Kai, while Buu Saga is 33% of Z, assuming I done the math right :shock: .
From what i'v read the extra episodes actually make the pacing better
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Talking about the endings since a 3rd one was already announced.
I think they are changing them too quickly.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:07 pm

Changing Endings every cour is a regular thing in the industry. It's not like the series has a surplus of ways to make money, either.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:14 pm

It seems that Junjo's run will end up being 12 episodes, so only slightly shorter there. One has to wonder why they didn't do this with the first Kai, though.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I only started numbering from Ep 1 cuz I couldn't be bothered to work it out from 99 :lol:
But this final chapters sub heading is just awkward.
The Final Chapters start from Episode 01 making it count as a new series rather than a continuation to the Cell arc.

Here's my take on it:

Part release:

Part 1: Eps. 01-12
Part 2: Eps. 13-24
Part 3: Eps. 25-36
Part 4: Eps. 37-48
Part 5: Eps. 49-60
Part 6: Eps. 61-69

Season release:

Season 1: Eps. 01-26
Season 2: Eps. 27-52
Season 3: Eps. 53-69

If FUNimation just released the Season sets of Kai I'd just go with that (it'd also cost less money) because there's nothing special from the Parts (they lost their value once Yamamoto's score was eliminated) any more.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:56 am

Valerius Dover wrote:It seems that Junjo's run will end up being 12 episodes, so only slightly shorter there. One has to wonder why they didn't do this with the first Kai, though.
Sad to see Junjou being replaced. Grew fond of it.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:39 pm

Sorry for necroposting,
While I was reading the new Kai booklet, I came across this : http://i.imgur.com/RVgDp37.jpg & http://i.imgur.com/JTKIXMT.jpg
What a band of LIARS.Their comparative made me laugh so hard ! :lol: *INSERT COMPARISON WITH ORANGE BRICKS PROPAGANDA HERE*
However, I was totally wrong on one point, Toei didn't used the same software suite as FUNimation, "Phoenix Restoration Software".

Oh, and here's the BD menu, and creditless opening/ending, if you're interested : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUsbH_lEDKc & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKIYJGqkIwQ
Last edited by ShinGaijin on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:44 pm

It really is the orange bricks all over again. How sad.

"YO DAWG WE EVEN GOT MORE ON THE SIDE!!!"
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:34 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It really is the orange bricks all over again. How sad.
Isn't the cropping done more carefully here ?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Well, the director did say in the French documentary about the Boo saga that we'd get more picture on the sides than what anybody ever had before.
It's not really a surprise at this point. People are always so "we want 4:3 so we have the full picture", well now they can get the answer "nope, you don't get the full picture, go to Kai for the missing parts of the picture". :wink:

Anyway, once Kai is done, Toei will be able to definitely discard those old 4:3 pieces of footage, so there won't be any question of "getting more of the picture" anymore, it will be meant for widescreen with the frame being positionned in a pixel-perfect manner from the get-go thanks to newer digital technology.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Well, the director did say in the French documentary about the Boo saga that we'd get more picture on the sides than what anybody ever had before.
It's not really a surprise at this point. People are always so "we want 4:3 so we have the full picture", well now they can get the answer "nope, you don't get the full picture, go to Kai for the missing parts of the picture". :wink:
I still think there's a chance we'll get it in Funi's release cause from what i read it was made by their request so wouldn't they want it made like the original ?