The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Post by Gonstead » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:12 pm

sintzu wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:
This forum doesn't support piracy.
Yet it's full of clips from various moments in the series.
Clips are fine for discussion purposes.

Full episodes, both in a moral and legal sense, are not okay.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:14 pm

So this week's episode of Kai #126 (International #133) covered all but the last 5 minutes of "Z" #245, which leaves just over 46 episodes left to cover into 34 episodes of Kai. So, just over 4 hours worth of content will be cut - approx 245 minutes, just please, cut that awful filler inside of Super Buu and Kid Buu going to Other World.

gameleon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gameleon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:20 pm

Question. Does the international version also censor the stuff the Japanese version did? (Like the guys head exploding by Babidi's magic)

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:33 pm

^Not gonna act like I've seen it or anything, but it's possible there have also been additional edits for the broadcasts, like the black-and-white thing they had in South Korea's TV version of Spopovich beating Videl. So, edits we see on this French Broadcast may not necessarily apply to the uncut masters.

Incidentally, the full episode that was posted above.....why is it only 22 minutes long? That's like 4Kids length. Even if you factor in PAL Speedup, it's still a few minutes shorter than anime-length.
I didn't watch, I only spot checked a few things. Also, the OP is placed after the 5 minute recap. Is this is a regular thing in The Final Chapters? (Like the first Kai?)
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:51 am

Valerius Dover wrote:^Not gonna act like I've seen it or anything, but it's possible there have also been additional edits for the broadcasts, like the black-and-white thing they had in South Korea's TV version of Spopovich beating Videl. So, edits we see on this French Broadcast may not necessarily apply to the uncut masters.

Incidentally, the full episode that was posted above.....why is it only 22 minutes long? That's like 4Kids length. Even if you factor in PAL Speedup, it's still a few minutes shorter than anime-length.
I didn't watch, I only spot checked a few things. Also, the OP is placed after the 5 minute recap. Is this is a regular thing in The Final Chapters? (Like the first Kai?)
You mean episode 100? For some reason that didn't have a part of the review part. And the french broadcast really is uncut. It had tons of blood in Videl's fight, and it wasn't in black and white.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:49 am

^Ok, uncut. Makes sense given that it isn't on a mainstream channel. I meant The Final Chapters Episode 1 (or 99 overall). Why it's only 22 minutes as opposed to 24.

"This sucks. Make more."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:24 pm

Interesting fact: the french dub of the latest episode has got red blood, whereas the blood was colored in the Japanese version.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:07 pm

^That confirms my suspicion that the censorship only applies to the JP version. How was Babidi's middle finger handled?

"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:13 pm

It seems backwards as to what Toei's doing because they used to broadcast anime completely uncut in Japan but in the west they would censor (and still do), I can't believe that their kids are too sensitive for it now. :|
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:33 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:It seems backwards as to what Toei's doing because they used to broadcast anime completely uncut in Japan but in the west they would censor (and still do), I can't believe that their kids are too sensitive for it now. :|
Fuji TV broadcasts Dragon Ball Kai, not Toei Animation. The series is a joint venture between the two, based on Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters as was created entirely by Toei Animation. Public Relations' Kumagai Tomoko of Fuji TV probably did not want this level of violence in a series airing at 9AM on Sunday mornings, especially for the a series that isn't exactly a high priority, anyway. Dragon Ball Kai is even more disposable than One Piece, a series which is hardly produced with the highest level of production quality for a long-running franchise.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:12 am

Here's a clip comparing the japanese and french version of Babidi's death:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc4Fkmbauvw

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:51 am

sangofe wrote:Here's a clip comparing the japanese and french version of Babidi's death:

The scene is pretty much the same, the blood is only lit up when Boo's fist connects. Wouldn't consider that an edit or censorship...

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:20 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
sangofe wrote:Here's a clip comparing the japanese and french version of Babidi's death:

The scene is pretty much the same, the blood is only lit up when Boo's fist connects. Wouldn't consider that an edit or censorship...
Well, it's an edit for sure as it's red in the start. But it's certainly more cut than in DBZ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbH3FsgrDr4#t=232 Although it's strange that in DBZ, this scene's got partly purple blood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCbO4zdTOqk#t=148

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:27 pm

alakazam^ wrote:The scene is pretty much the same, the blood is only lit up when Boo's fist connects. Wouldn't consider that an edit or censorship...
The blow at the beginning is definitely red rather than pink, so even though they censored it afterwards (just as the Japanese ver.) it's still somewhat uncut-ish.

Japanese version: Die, idiot!
French version: Die, imbecile!

Both are quite fitting, but "die, imbecile!" is a bit edgier than referring to him as just an idiot.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Did this happen in the international version :

Goku appears.

Then Buu is damaged and blown off though Goku hasn't done anything yet.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:30 pm

:lol: Yes, unfortunately.
I didn't noticed that, to be honest. :lol: I'm tired of their amateurism, really.

Some screenshots from the original scene :
Last edited by ShinGaijin on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Hm, so both are censored to a certain extent better to wait until Final Chapters' receives a home release and then hopefully it'll be uncensored (Kai has its own definition of uncut but fingers crossed it's mostly uncut).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:58 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Hm, so both are censored to a certain extent better to wait until Final Chapters' receives a home release and then hopefully it'll be uncensored (Kai has its own definition of uncut but fingers crossed it's mostly uncut).
Actually, I think it was just trimmed down for time.

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:59 am

There's no news about the song ''Let it burn'', right? :cry:

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:10 am

I don't know if anyone pointed it out, but in the Battle of Gods Extras, we get insight on the recording sessions of the English VAs, and in said sessions, Chris Sabat talks to Kyle Hebert about how this approach to Adult Gohan is "different from Kai" and how they "toned him down for Kai".
I don't think Funimation can take this one back easily.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.