Toonami 2014 DBZKai Ratings!

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Toonami Ratings Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Didn't expect Kill La Kil to lose viewers, I honestly thought it would gain more.
It may even do worse in upcoming weeks, when the novelty wares off.
True. I love the show, but to brutally honest, the plot goes absolutely nowhere until episode 16. Then shit gets real. And it wouldn't be surprise me if there were spikes in rating after that point in the show.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Re: Toonami 2014 DBZKai Ratings!

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Only anime fans have heard of Kill La Kill.
I know but AOT was kind of anime/manga-fans only kind of deal as well and it did huge ratings. Also, what the hell is going on with Naruto Shippuden? It loses hundreds of thousands of viewers every week. Are they in a filler arc or something?
Attack on Titan is more popular than Kill La Kill.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:38 pm

Toonami ratings would be more impressive if they didn't appear to be almost entirely dependent on the show that airs right before Toonami.

And in fact if you look at the ratings numbers for King of the Hill post Toonami, the ratings jump (and other comedy shows before King of the Hill hold on solidly.) Suggesting that people will show up for non-anime content, but are simply not changing the channel after Family Guy/American Dad ends until they go to sleep.

This also lines up with prior information that most of Toonami's audience is hangers on from the pre-Toonami comedy show, or just people randomly changing channels. They stop changing on the random comedy shows, and heavily stay on for King of the Hill.

Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:20 am

To be fair, the Toonami block ain't got shit on King of the Hill. 8)
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:59 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Also, what the hell is going on with Naruto Shippuden? It loses hundreds of thousands of viewers every week. Are they in a filler arc or something?
It's not an exaggeration to say that the first 50 or so episodes of Shippuden have pacing on par with DBZ at its worst. That's probably a factor in the viewer count kind of tanking when Shippuden comes on. Things might improve starting with episode 72, since that's when the pacing actually becomes decent for the canon parts of the story (at the cost of getting blocks of filler of varying size after roughly every 20 episodes of canon content).

Feels good to see One Piece still doing better than Gurren Lagann despite coming on at 2:30 now.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:30 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
I know but AOT was kind of anime/manga-fans only kind of deal as well and it did huge ratings. Also, what the hell is going on with Naruto Shippuden? It loses hundreds of thousands of viewers every week. Are they in a filler arc or something?
That I can't deny. But I love both shows regardless. :P

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:07 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
AOT was market much better then KLA is at the moment. I think people fighting giants looks cooler then people that fight with clothes looks cooler to most casuals.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:01 pm

(via sonofthebronx)

https://twitter.com/SonOfTheBronx/statu ... 2441609216

12:00a Dragon Ball Z Kai - 0.9 - 1258
12:30a Kill La Kill - 0.7 - 997
1:00a Naruto: Shippuden - 0.7 - 897
1:30a Inuyasha: The Final Act - 0.6 - 823
2:00a Gurren Lagann - 0.5 - 748
2:30a One Piece - 0.5 - 698
3:00a Deadman Wonderland - 0.5 - 689

I'm so happy for DBZKai! Its doing remarkably well! It even beat Bleach's highest rated night some weeks ago! (Over 1.5 million)

I'm worried about One Piece though...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:(via sonofthebronx)

https://twitter.com/SonOfTheBronx/statu ... 2441609216

12:00a Dragon Ball Z Kai - 0.9 - 1258
12:30a Kill La Kill - 0.7 - 997
1:00a Naruto: Shippuden - 0.7 - 897
1:30a Inuyasha: The Final Act - 0.6 - 823
2:00a Gurren Lagann - 0.5 - 748
2:30a One Piece - 0.5 - 698
3:00a Deadman Wonderland - 0.5 - 689

I'm so happy for DBZKai! Its doing remarkably well! It even beat Bleach's highest rated night some weeks ago! (Over 1.5 million)

I'm worried about One Piece though...
I've said it before and I'll say it again, One Piece will never become big in the West. I don't know why, but that just seems to be the situation. :(

Shocking drop off from KLK though. More than 250,000 tuned out after Kai and never came back. Thank God KLK isn't leading the block

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Shocking drop off from KLK though. More than 250,000 tuned out after Kai and never came back. Thank God KLK isn't leading the block[/quote]
I think the reason one piece will never be popular in the west is because of the 4kids version in a way that killed any chance the anime had at popularity
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:24 pm

Holidays tend to mess with the ratings a bit due to people going out to celebrate instead of staying home late at night to watch anime.

(And One Piece's numbers are pretty average for that time-slot. Around 700k is normal for 2:30 AM from what we've seen since Toonami came back. It also retained most of the viewers from GL, only losing 50k, which is one of the smaller viewership drops of the night.)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:58 am

If One Piece was on on a better time slot then it would do better. I would imagine most of it's fans probably go to bed by 2:30 AM.
She/Her

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:11 am

I always love following the 'DBZKai' hashtag on Twitter. It's fun seeing the series through other people's eyes and reading the running commentary. It's almost like watching the show with a group of friends. Best of all, there's actually little to no complaining about the voices or music, but tonight I'm preparing for the worse. For a certain quote makes itself heard tonight, although not in the way that many will expect. :wink:

Oh boy, this is gonna be good... :twisted: I may just have to Re-tweet some of these reactions.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:07 pm

I think the ratings drop for Kill la Kill could be that most people saw the first episode and didn't like it. With Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online, they have themes that a lot of casuals can get into. Kill la Kill can come off silly to most people. I really like the KLK so far and I hope it does well. Does anyone know how well Kai did on 8:00 PM last night? I think Kai is doing so well on Toonami is that they put last week's episode yesterday for people who missed out on it. It's DBZ, the brand name alone can pull in good ratings. Even Kai on CW had both kids and older fans watching it.
She/Her

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:59 pm

People watch Sword Art Online? :sick:
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:26 am

I remember it was really popular a couple years ago. The sequel is going to air on Toonami next month.
She/Her

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:57 am

EXBadguy wrote:People watch Sword Art Online? :sick:
People LIKE Sword Art Online. Tell yourself that the next time you feel ashamed over liking BoG.

EDIT: I just want to make this clear, I hate Sword Art Online.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:37 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: People LIKE Sword Art Online.
Whatever, you get the idea. "Like" and "watch" are pretty much almost the same term when it comes to shows for me.
Hellspawn28 wrote:I remember it was really popular a couple years ago. The sequel is going to air on Toonami next month.
That anime is one of the reasons why I'm not even an anime fan anymore honestly. That and most anime to me are all the same. Cry and save.

Anyway, I wonder if they can bring back some old anime from the old Toonami too. Heck, other channels do the same thing by bringing older shows.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:52 pm

EXBadguy wrote:People watch Sword Art Online? :sick:
It's a wish-fullfillment anime. Of course it'd do well.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:58 pm

http://www.tvmediainsights.com/tv-ratin ... year-year/

I think this might be a record for Kai (or possibly the block in general - I remember Bleach did 1.5 million at the climax of the Aizen stuff, but can't recall the exact number)? Guessing the numbers can be partially attributed to the 8PM rerun and partially to people tuning in specifically for the over 9000 meme (and then flipping their shit about it being not-over-the-top 8000 instead).

Edit: neglected to screencap it, but for anyone who doesn't want to actually check the link the 8PM rerun had 650k viewers.