"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Theophrastus
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Oh, cool. Decide to check this thread after a few days and find that they've finally announced the release for The Final Chapters...and they're 23-episode sets instead of alternating 11-/12-episode sets. Nice. Guess they really do want to just get it out the door so they can finally make some money off of it.

Regarding Funimation's home releases for Super, I kind of expect them to just match the Japanese releases and do 12-episode sets initially.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:03 pm

Dammit, Funi website lists Region A. The rest of Kai was A/B. Guess I'm stuck waiting for Madman to announce it. Shame cause Funi's production quality is so good.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:07 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Dammit, Funi website lists Region A. The rest of Kai was A/B. Guess I'm stuck waiting for Madman to announce it. Shame cause Funi's production quality is so good.
Is Madman's not as good? I wouldn't know, so I'm curious. Do they get inferior video/audio masters?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:18 pm

Wow, Funi's doing a DVD and Bluray/DVD/Digital Copy release? Definitely getting the second option because I'm able to use the two physical and one digital medias (long story short, more convenient). Besides the recent DBZ movies, Funimation has never had a DB release include Blu-ray/DVD/and also a digital copy. I guess they REALLY want to make up for Toei's TV deal insistence wait and just finally RELEASE THE DAMN THING IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE FOR FANS. Makes sense considering everyone else, but us (or many of us) have gotten the release.

Also, just to reiterate - Episode 112 of The Final Chapters is set to have a commentary track from Funimation. Episode 112 seems to be the one where Videl fights Spopovich so it's definitely interesting they chose to commentate this one. I figure Kara Edwards might also be there since she voices Videl as a character. This commentary should be interesting........

EDIT: Also, unrelated - But My Hero Academia is finally coming to Blu-ray!!! This is going to be a fun year for Funimation release!!!
Last edited by mecha3000 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:40 pm

mecha3000 wrote:Wow, Funi's doing a DVD and Bluray/DVD/Digital Copy release? Definitely getting the second option because I'm able to use the two physical and one digital medias (long story short, more convenient). Besides the recent DBZ movies, Funimation has never had a DB release include Blu-ray/DVD/and also a digital copy. I guess they REALLY want to make up for Toei's TV deal insistence wait and just finally RELEASE THE DAMN THING IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE FOR FANS. Makes sense considering everyone else, but us (or many of us) have gotten the release.
I hadn't even thought about that, but that's...really unusual. DVD/BD combo packs aren't anything new for Funimation, but I don't think they've ever done an UltraViolet release for a TV series before. Some movies like Resurrection F and Wolf Children, sure, but not a series like this.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:42 pm

I like the idea of this being a combo pack with a download code but what are the odds the discs won't be stacked on top of one another?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:44 pm

mecha3000 wrote:Wow, Funi's doing a DVD and Bluray/DVD/Digital Copy release? Definitely getting the second option because I'm able to use the two physical and one digital medias (long story short, more convenient). Besides the recent DBZ movies, Funimation has never had a DB release include Blu-ray/DVD/and also a digital copy. I guess they REALLY want to make up for Toei's TV deal insistence wait and just finally RELEASE THE DAMN THING IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE FOR FANS. Makes sense considering everyone else, but us (or many of us) have gotten the release.

Also, just to reiterate - Episode 112 of The Final Chapters is set to have a commentary track from Funimation. Episode 112 seems to be the one where Videl fights Spopovich so it's definitely interesting they chose to commentate this one. I figure Kara Edwards might also be there since she voices Videl as a character. This commentary should be interesting........

EDIT: Also, unrelated - But My Hero Academia is finally coming to Blu-ray!!! This is going to be a fun year for Funimation release!!!
Well, they DID get digital rights to all things Dragon Ball as part of the Super licensing deal from Toei, but I was only expecting it for the newest movies to have digital codes with them. They've only released the Dragon Ball shows on Amazon & Xbox Video for some reason. They only have Battle of Gods & Resurrection F on iTunes. I would've thought that they'd get all of it on iTunes. I'd buy Kai, & some of the movies, on iTunes if they released them there.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I like the idea of this being a combo pack with a download code but what are the odds the discs won't be stacked on top of one another?
I'll point you towards the Fairy Tail sets. Those have 8 discs, Blu-Ray & DVD & they consistently have 8-disc cases for them. These will have 6 in the combo packs & 6-disc Blu-Ray cases are pretty common. Plus, have they EVER done that?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Can we still buy separate Blu-rays and DVDs ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:52 pm

sintzu wrote:Can we still buy separate Blu-rays and DVDs ?
As far as I have seen, you can buy the separate DVD pack - But not the separate Blu-ray release. To get Blu-ray, it seems you have to go with the combo pack - which isn't exactly a bad thing considering it comes with more options.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Rightstuf listed the BD at $39!
http://www.rightstufanime.com/Dragon-Ba ... ne-Blu-ray

Pre order up guys!
Holy crap, what a bargin. :P

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I like the idea of this being a combo pack with a download code but what are the odds the discs won't be stacked on top of one another?
I'll point you towards the Fairy Tail sets. Those have 8 discs, Blu-Ray & DVD & they consistently have 8-disc cases for them. These will have 6 in the combo packs & 6-disc Blu-Ray cases are pretty common. Plus, have they EVER done that?
Do we know this will be a 6-disc set? Could 23 episodes be split between 3 DVDs without too much quality loss? I'm not familiar with Funimation's home releases outside of Dragon Ball.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:23 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Dammit, Funi website lists Region A. The rest of Kai was A/B. Guess I'm stuck waiting for Madman to announce it. Shame cause Funi's production quality is so good.
Is Madman's not as good? I wouldn't know, so I'm curious. Do they get inferior video/audio masters?
I think they mean physical quality wise. Madman use direct masters from FUNi however like the UK no slipcovers and cheap thick amaray cases.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Do we know this will be a 6-disc set? Could 23 episodes be split between 3 DVDs without too much quality loss? I'm not familiar with Funimation's home releases outside of Dragon Ball.
Now that I check the DVD release by itself, it says 4 discs. The combo pack says only 3, so I assumed that the DVD was going to have the same thing. Then again, FUNimation puts 1 or 2 more episodes on discs when there's Blu-Rays when compared to DVDs. 23 episodes would have 8 episodes on 2 disc & 7 on the last, which wouldn't leave much room for special features, so they're probably going with 6 on 3 discs & 5 on the last if they ARE doing 4 discs. For the Blu-Rays, they'll probably do as I just put for the beginning of that last sentence. They'd have the space for it, unless they change it & do the same thing as the DVDs.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:54 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Now that I check the DVD release by itself, it says 4 discs. The combo pack says only 3, so I assumed that the DVD was going to have the same thing. Then again, FUNimation puts 1 or 2 more episodes on discs when there's Blu-Rays when compared to DVDs. 23 episodes would have 8 episodes on 2 disc & 7 on the last, which wouldn't leave much room for special features, so they're probably going with 6 on 3 discs & 5 on the last if they ARE doing 4 discs. For the Blu-Rays, they'll probably do as I just put for the beginning of that last sentence. They'd have the space for it, unless they change it & do the same thing as the DVDs.
They could always exclude the extras from the DVDs, at least in the combo pack if they do 8 episodes on 2 discs and 7 on the last. I'm certain there will be 3 Blu-Rays though as the format has the capacity for said episode distribution per disc plus extras and in high definition.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Scsigs wrote:
They could always exclude the extras from the DVDs, at least in the combo pack if they do 8 episodes on 2 discs and 7 on the last. I'm certain there will be 3 Blu-Rays though as the format has the capacity for said episode distribution per disc plus extras and in high definition.
I'm more likely to believe it'll be a 7-disc set for the combo pack.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:05 pm

I'm a bit worried that a 7-disc case might be too thick. The 8-disc Fairy Tail sets are about the size of two seasons of Kai put together, but I've seen them fit as much as 6 discs into a case the size of a single season.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:I'm a bit worried that a 7-disc case might be too thick. The 8-disc Fairy Tail sets are about the size of two seasons of Kai put together, but I've seen them fit as much as 6 discs into a case the size of a single season.
Oh, it is.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:51 pm

So despite the image used for the bluray, both rightstuffanime and Funimation's product descriptions seem to imply its Bluray only (ie funimation only listing a number of BDs and Rightstuff only saying "bluray")
Is that normal for combo sets like this?