"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon May 25, 2015 7:45 pm

Right. Sean Schemmel was at Anime Oasis this weekend, and held a few panels. One of the members over at Reddit (I know, I know) attended two of them. During today's panel, Sean said that he had two weeks left of Kai to record - starting tomorrow.

He also said some other things, about finishing up "F" last week, and gave an interesting theory on "Super".
So, in two weeks time, Sean will have recorded all of his lines. Sounds encouraging, assuming no one else needs to finish up, also. If this is genuine, things are looking good for an announcement soon, if these two weeks are indeed the final recording sessions.

Source:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/37 ... all_super/

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Mon May 25, 2015 8:19 pm

On the one hand, that's really great that we have more important information. On the other hand...... Wtf? Why are they STILL not done?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 25, 2015 8:33 pm

They still haven't finished dubbing Kai 2.0!? Forget it. We're not getting Kai 2.0. until 2016 then.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Mon May 25, 2015 8:50 pm

While of course trying to be an optimist, also trying to look at the situation realistically from a relatively uninformed point of view, but while its very very aggravating to know that they still haven't quite finished everything, obviously they are working on the tail end of the series id imagine so I don't see how that may prevent them from selling the first parts this fall seeing as how I'd imagine they are complete.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 26, 2015 4:14 am

They're probably not going to get Super until 2017 so I think they're going to take their time with Kai and have it lead into their Super release.

If Resurrection F is released in October like BOG was then the rest of their releases could go like this :

January,April,July&October 2016 : Kai parts 1-4
January,April,July&October 2017 : Kai parts 5-6 / Super parts 1-2 / Kai season 1
January,April,July&October 2018 : Super parts 3-6 / Kai seasons 2-3
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:03 am

Wow they still have not finished dubbing this? This is one of the reasons why I just bought Z on blu ray because I'm not gonna wait until like 2018 until funimation releases the Kai boo saga season sets.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:02 am

I still have faith they announce it this July at the anime convention. But if they don't, then we will probably see The Final Chapters next year.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Tue May 26, 2015 1:39 pm

sintzu wrote:They're probably not going to get Super until 2017 so I think they're going to take their time with Kai and have it lead into their Super release.

If Resurrection F is released in October like BOG was then the rest of their releases could go like this :

January,April,July&October 2016 : Kai parts 1-4
January,April,July&October 2017 : Kai parts 5-6 / Super parts 1-2 / Kai season 1
January,April,July&October 2018 : Super parts 3-6 / Kai seasons 2-3
F can't possibly release in October unless they lie or delay. October =/= Summer. As far as everything else goes, idk about Super but I really doubt we're gonna get that extreme of a release delay/spread with Kai. That's pretty massive.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 26, 2015 2:19 pm

ShaneisMC wrote: F can't possibly release in October unless they lie or delay. October =/= Summer.

I really doubt we're gonna get that extreme of a release delay/spread with Kai. That's pretty massive.
I was talking about the home release.

I checked their release schedule for One Piece&Fairy Tail and it turns out they release them every other month and sometimes every month so hopefully they'll do that with Kai but with it being so short they might want to extend it a bit.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Tue May 26, 2015 2:24 pm

Shame that they couldn't get these episodes out before the release of Super. Currently re watching the series in English with Kai, and I'm really enjoying the great work Funi did. It's going to be incredibly jarring switching over to dub Z once I reach Buu, but I want to finish my rewatch by the end of June.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Tue May 26, 2015 2:39 pm

This is very odd that they're still recording since I know they had started as early as last summer.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Tue May 26, 2015 2:41 pm

After the horror we've seen with the Japanese airing of Kai 2.0, why does everyone care about a dub? It's only different voices. Every other problem will still be there.

Mainly that yellow tint...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 26, 2015 2:58 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:After the horror we've seen with the Japanese airing of Kai 2.0, why does everyone care about a dub? It's only different voices. Every other problem will still be there.

Mainly that yellow tint...
There's something that Funi is doing for their release that'll have fans talking for awhile but we don't know what it is so hopefully they'll either be giving us the arc in 4:3 or without the green tint or both.

Getting a new dub and a filler cut is more then enough for me to be happy so whatever else such as the above would be a nice bonus.
Last edited by sintzu on Tue May 26, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Tue May 26, 2015 2:59 pm

1. It will finish the series. From a collectors standpoint regardless of quality having something incomplete makes my insides burn. 2. I'm quite sure that the Funi blu ray copies will look just fine. 3. The script and acting will be leaps ahead of the original. For those who primarily watch japanese I understand why someone wouldn't really care or see the point since they don't care for the dub in any/much capacity. But to a lot of people it is arguably the biggest part of the picture. It will be REALLY nice to hear. Also the lack of filler. Regardless of whether or not they deleted as much filler as some people wanted , any removal is technically an improvement. And honestly over 20 episodes is quite a good chunk.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 26, 2015 3:01 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:Also the lack of filler. Regardless of whether or not they deleted as much filler as some people wanted , any removal is technically an improvement. And honestly over 20 episodes is quite a good chunk.
28 to be exact which is over 9 hours so that's great.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:46 am

sintzu wrote:
ShaneisMC wrote:Also the lack of filler. Regardless of whether or not they deleted as much filler as some people wanted , any removal is technically an improvement. And honestly over 20 episodes is quite a good chunk.
28 to be exact which is over 9 hours so that's great.
Well if you dont wanna count the Otherworld Tournament arc, then it's actually 23 episodes. I would've preferred more, but they seem to have deleted the filler that actually contradicts the story. And there are only 2 options to buy the Buu arc in anime form. The orange bricks and the season sets.

The pros that the Buu arc has for Kai are:
23 Less episodes so less filler.
Even though the remastering is a bit sub-par, it stil looks better than those 2 sets in my opinion, even with the green tint.
Better English dub.
Better cropping.
And of course new music. While it's not exactly a pro to me (even though I like Sumitomo's music) for a lot of people it is.

The only pros I can think of of the orange bricks and the season sets, is no green tint and Kikuchi's score. And of course better placed music. You could always get the Dragon Boxes but those prices are huge on the second-hand market. But if you search for a while I guess you can find them for a reasonable price.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed May 27, 2015 11:22 am

I'm quite happy with the International Version, only thing that has bothered me is the cropping from time to time, and Super Buu's eyes not being corrected (which is very minor).

I'm totally ok with a 23 episode reduction, the remaster isn't particularly great, but it'll do. Who knows when FUNi will start releasing this, let's hope it is before the end of the year.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri May 29, 2015 6:48 pm

So I talked to Chris Rager at Momocon today. I'd say more, but I need to take a trip to the *ahem* National Driving Association.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:58 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:So I talked to Chris Rager at Momocon today. I'd say more, but I need to take a trip to the *ahem* National Driving Association.
...What?

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Fri May 29, 2015 7:17 pm

If you have something let us know. Otherwise........... Dick. :P