"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon May 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Hey everyone! Just like I did for Part 1, I've uploaded corrected audio for the Part 2 episodes. You can mux the audio into your personal rips of the episodes or into your DVDs/Blurays if you're tech savvy enough. You can find the Part 2 audio files as well as the audio files for the affected Part 1 episodes here: https://mega.nz/#F!DIMmEBSK!RIQvqHnYAQfGMRgIU6MvXg

I hope this helps! Thanks!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Lunaar » Tue May 30, 2017 10:00 am

PickleMonster8859 wrote:If anyone wonders how Kai handeled the "Gohan and Vegeta are dead" scene... Here's your first look. Monical Rial's emotional acting was so flawless!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZq4oCh ... e=youtu.be
I will always hear Hiromi Tsuru's voice when I think of Bulma, but dammit - Monica Rial has been perfect from the moment I heard her at Roshi's house. While I grew up with Lalainia Lindbjerg's performance and eventually learned to appreciate Tiffany Vollmer's evolution of that character, they both lacked the hint of depth that truly makes Bulma my favorite character. ...and that's my opinion, of course. I know many of us do prefer the old-school performances and I really do believe they both handled the character very well, only that they might have been given poor direction when it came to portraying Bulma in her more sensitive moments. Before Rial, I always felt that they definitely nailed her nagging, know-it-all, "I'm THE bitch" level - but to say that's all she amounts to is a huge disservice to understanding why she's The Best™.

TLDR: Monica Rial's Bulma is the best Bulma we could ask for. Her outcry in the above clip absolutely floored me.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:05 pm

I'm really starting to love these Yamamoto placements that I'm seeing for Kai TFC. I just found another one with some new placements for the scene with Gohan going SS2 at the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai. I really think the video speaks for itself. Besides the OG Japanese one from Z, this is the few times that this scene's been done right IMO. The Sumitomo version from the TFC has a good track in it, but I don't this it's right for the scene. As for the Faulconer one......let's just say I'm not a fan.

veggiechan

Post by veggiechan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:39 am

Man the redub of Goku offering Bulma to Old Kai was so well done, hilarious! :mrgreen: :clap:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:05 pm

veggiechan wrote:Man the redub of Goku offering Bulma to Old Kai was so well done, hilarious! :mrgreen: :clap:
For me, it was goddamn surreal hearing Sean Schemmel as Goku saying those lines. It made them all the more funny!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

gameleon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gameleon » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:34 pm

One thing I noticed is that the Fight It Out opening was changed slightly after episode 139. Instead of Gotenks covered by shadow the whole time it now reveals him and he turns around.

Are there any other changes like this made to the opening during the Final Chapters run so far?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:04 pm

gameleon wrote:One thing I noticed is that the Fight It Out opening was changed slightly after episode 139. Instead of Gotenks covered by shadow the whole time it now reveals him and he turns around.

Are there any other changes like this made to the opening during the Final Chapters run so far?
I don't believe there is, no.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Maybe it's because she's had more time with the role now but Colleen Clinkenbeard sounds way more comfortable as the more mature 18 here as opposed to the juvenile 18 of the Android saga.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:47 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Maybe it's because she's had more time with the role now but Colleen Clinkenbeard sounds way more comfortable as the more mature 18 here as opposed to the juvenile 18 of the Android saga.
Yeah. Even though I prefer McCoy over all, Clinkenbeard is better in Buu Kai than her first go-around.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:58 am

I love love love how they handled this scene.

Chris Sabat did a fantastic job. I just want the entirety of the Kai Buu arc dub in my hands right now.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:23 am

Hey guys can someone help me out I have tried to do comparison videos on my youtube channel of DBZ vs Kai but i seem to get a copyright strike. I don't get what I am doing wrong as people like the clip posted above also are doing the same thing. Mine actually had audio discussion comparing the two scenes as opposed to a clip. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it as it frustrates me to no end seeing these videos being fine but mine are not.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:30 am

We can't tell you how to skirt legal issues because we're not lawyers, but also because we're not privy to the inner-workings of FUNimation's and Toei's particular copyright monitoring on YouTube. Some of it appears to be automatic according to the Content ID system, and some of it appears to be manual according to whatever set of standards and circumstances they're actively or passively searching for / coming across.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:37 am

VegettoEX wrote:We can't tell you how to skirt legal issues because we're not lawyers, but also because we're not privy to the inner-workings of FUNimation's and Toei's particular copyright monitoring on YouTube. Some of it appears to be automatic according to the Content ID system, and some of it appears to be manual according to whatever set of standards and circumstances they're actively or passively searching for / coming across.
But mine actually follow fair use copyright law as it is a dissection of the material discussing and reviewing the material. These clips i do not really think do fall under fair use that is why i am so perplexed. I have looked at the fair use copyright law as much as possible but still can't get a grasp on it clearly :/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:42 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote:But mine actually follow fair use copyright law as it is a dissection of the material discussing and reviewing the material. These clips i do not really think do fall under fair use that is why i am so perplexed. I have looked at the fair use copyright law as much as possible but still can't get a grasp on it clearly :/
Unfortunately, like many folks, it appears that you have a misunderstanding with regard to what fair use actually is.

I just covered it a bunch over in this thread.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:51 am

VegettoEX wrote:
rs_chaosmaster wrote:But mine actually follow fair use copyright law as it is a dissection of the material discussing and reviewing the material. These clips i do not really think do fall under fair use that is why i am so perplexed. I have looked at the fair use copyright law as much as possible but still can't get a grasp on it clearly :/
Unfortunately, like many folks, it appears that you have a misunderstanding with regard to what fair use actually is.

I just covered it a bunch over in this thread.
Thanks didn't see this thread but probably not under super or kai which are the main ones i look at. :/

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Was skimming through the second Blu-ray, and actually found a scene I prefer in the Kai version. When Piccolo cuts Bobbidi in two, the performances and Sumitomo's music are so on-point. I really like the heroic track they chose, whereas Z's Kikuchi track went with an ominous tone that I found unfitting at that particular moment, it breathed new life into that scene, and created a hype that was never there before.
Retired.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:01 am

It's weird - while the acting is much better and there's less corny joke and wild rewrites, I feel like there's a lot of spots were the original dub dialogue was actually better - particularly the Goku and Majin Vegeta confrontation. I think the problem is the Buu saga dub was decently accurate as it was, and whoever is in charge of the script wants to avoid rehashing lines, so you get some unnecessary rewrites where the original dub was closer to the JP version.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:34 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:It's weird - while the acting is much better and there's less corny joke and wild rewrites, I feel like there's a lot of spots were the original dub dialogue was actually better - particularly the Goku and Majin Vegeta confrontation. I think the problem is the Buu saga dub was decently accurate as it was, and whoever is in charge of the script wants to avoid rehashing lines, so you get some unnecessary rewrites where the original dub was closer to the JP version.
I've noticed the same thing.

I'm not a fan of McFarlane's Roshi here though. His lines seem too punched up, as well as his delivery. When Goku is about to show off Super Saiyan 3, when Roshi says "Wow! you've been busy!", bothers me, because not only is the line not really at all reminiscent of the Japanese line, but he sounds so over the top when he says it. His Roshi in the prior dub of Kai could tone that down and sound serious (even if he wasn't the best fit for the role).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:40 pm

The music placement is so shitty too. Both the Faulconer and Kikuchi scores did much better jobs with these scenes.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:49 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:The music placement is so shitty too. Both the Faulconer and Kikuchi scores did much better jobs with these scenes.
I wonder if "TFC" was originally going to be scored by Sumitomo when they first started working on it, or if they just brought him on after hiring him for Battle of Gods? When did we have the first mention of the Buu arc of Kai? Was Battle of Gods in production at that point? If so, they might have just had him work on both from the beginning.

They probably should have just reused the Kikichi score again for TFC, and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't originally plan to do so, considering how cheaply TFC was made. Ideally, they would have digitized more Buu arc pieces and given the score a wider selection of tracks to choose from, but even then who know how the placement would have been (it could have been more slipshod than the first Kai).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash