The Final Chapters Vs Kai 99+

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

The Final Chapters Vs Kai 99+

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:38 pm

I keep hearing that there are two different versions of Boo saga Kai. There's the Final Chapters and Kai continued from episode 99. I'd like for the this thread to be a discussion for the differences between the two, criticisms, which one you preferred, and so on and so forth.

sintzu
Banned

Re: The Final Chapters Vs Kai 99+

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:56 pm

The tournament arc in Kai is 8 episodes while in the final chapters it's 15 or 14 if you don't count 101 which was complete filler.

Super Buu's white eyes are changed to red in Kai.

Everything else after the tournament between the 2 is the exact same minus 1 filler episode before the 10 year time skip which was left in the final chapters.

I read that the pacing is off in Kai's tournament due to them cutting out 6 episodes at the last minute so I'm guessing the final chapters is the better option.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:17 pm

Majin Boo Hen - The Japanese updated cut with their own OPs and EDs and less episodes than TFC.
The Final Chapters - The original international Majin Boo arc of Kai with a slightly longer list of episodes.

The Japanese cut is admittedly somewhat better than the international. Like, for example, Super Boo's red eyes.

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:39 pm

In my opinion, other than Super Boo's red eyes in the JP version, I think the international version is better because the beginning of the Japanese version was just a rushed job, whereas it's more well paced in the international version. Also, even though there was only 1 opening and 1 ending, they were at least related to Dragon Ball, unlike others such as Galaxy. Galaxy was a good song, but it had nothing to do with Dragon Ball

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:03 pm

SSGSS Goku wrote:In my opinion, other than Super Boo's red eyes in the JP version, I think the international version is better because the beginning of the Japanese version was just a rushed job, whereas it's more well paced in the international version. Also, even though there was only 1 opening and 1 ending, they were at least related to Dragon Ball, unlike others such as Galaxy. Galaxy was a good song, but it had nothing to do with Dragon Ball
I liked Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go though, more than Fight it out!, and it was pretty related to Dragon Ball.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:13 pm

I can only speak from a technical perspective, since both versions are equally as messy in most areas. Music placement is pretty terrible across the board.

While both versions of the show have terrible colours (the infamous green tint), the Japanese version of the show had an excessive degree of artificial sharpening applied to the image that left ugly halos around the line art. This is not found to the same degree in the international version.

I'm sure most people know that the opening songs are different, but the animation is actually different, too. The Japanese version fixed up a lot of frames. Likewise, they also added in new animation to replace the bland parts of the international counterpart.

Here's a huge image showcasing the changes:
You'll notice the background is different between the versions, as well as the framing of the action. Things to watch out for are faces, hands, and arms. There's also some lighting changes between scenes.

They didn't bother to draw Boo throwing the energy ball in the International release; the ball engulfs him, instead.

The international version has some bland animation of Goku screaming before delivering a Kamehameha, whereas the Japanese version shows him watching the action from a dramatic angle before firing the beam off. Both have different lead-ins into the identical firing animation, but the Japanese version is significantly better.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Ajay wrote:I can only speak from a technical perspective, since both versions are equally as messy in most areas. Music placement is pretty terrible across the board.

While both versions of the show have terrible colours (the infamous green tint), the Japanese version of the show had an excessive degree of artificial sharpening applied to the image that left ugly halos around the line art. This is not found to the same degree in the international version.

I'm sure most people know that the opening songs are different, but the animation is actually different, too. The Japanese version fixed up a lot of frames. Likewise, they also added in new animation to replace the bland parts of the international counterpart.

Here's a huge image showcasing the changes:
You'll notice the background is different between the versions, as well as the framing of the action. Things to watch out for are faces, hands, and arms. There's also some lighting changes between scenes.

They didn't bother to draw Boo throwing the energy ball in the International release; the ball engulfs him, instead.

The international version has some bland animation of Goku screaming before delivering a Kamehameha, whereas the Japanese version shows him watching the action from a dramatic angle before firing the beam off. Both have different lead-ins into the identical firing animation, but the Japanese version is significantly better.
I'm scratching my head here but why the excessive use of blur on the international version? :?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:47 pm

Iberian_Saiyan wrote:I'm scratching my head here but why the excessive use of blur on the international version? :?
Same reason they do it in Super sometimes. It makes sloppy animation look just that little bit smoother.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:40 pm

Ajay wrote:I'm sure most people know that the opening songs are different, but the animation is actually different, too. The Japanese version fixed up a lot of frames. Likewise, they also added in new animation to replace the bland parts of the international counterpart.
This reminds me of the situation with Sonic X's final episode. The French dub (which was actually released before the original Japanese version) had animation that had a lot less detail compared to the later released Japanese and International versions. Unfortunately, said later versions are only available as a webrip that is lower quality than the French DVDs (Sonic X season 3 was never released on DVD in Japan AFAIK. The fact that TMS pre-edits international edits to remove Japanese text does not help matters.) and I think the 4k!ds edit (which I think was released on DVD...but censored, making it harder to insert footage onto an uncut source like the French DVD or the Japanese webrip).
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:15 am

I wayyyyyyyyy prefer Kuu Zen Zetsu Go to Fight it out. I havent seen the international version really but for the most part I felt the japanese content wise was fine. It did feel a bit fast even for Kai at first but personally I really doubt it was worth going from like 7 episodes to 15. Maybe 1 or 2 more would have sufficed at best. Not fond they kept in the dino filler and whatever. Also WTF at throwing in the complete filler Dinosaur egg/Party episode at the very end. Totally unnecessary. Also the fixing of Super Buu's eyes is nice.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:56 pm

Not that there's anything wrong with "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go," but I wasn't a big fan. Quite the contrary, I freakin' LOVED "Fight It Out"...sure, the English lyrics can sound a little silly at times, but Masatoshi Ono sings it with an enthusiasm that reminds me of Hironobu Kageyama. If we can't have Kageyama back, I would have preferred that Ono became the new "voice" of Dragon Ball songs. I got a French iTunes account for the sole purpose of downloading that song (and another song that, strangely, didn't end up being used called "Let It Burn").
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:11 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:I wayyyyyyyyy prefer Kuu Zen Zetsu Go to Fight it out.
I think both Kuu Zen Zetsu Go and Fight It Out are awesome songs. Kuu Zen Zetsu certainly sounds more Dragon Ball-esque but Fight It Out is so damn catchy.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:16 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ShaneisMC wrote:I wayyyyyyyyy prefer Kuu Zen Zetsu Go to Fight it out.
I think both Kuu Zen Zetsu Go and Fight It Out are awesome songs. Kuu Zen Zetsu certainly sounds more Dragon Ball-esque but Fight It Out is so damn catchy.
Perceptions are so interesting. I would have said what you said, but about the opposite songs. KZZG is catchier and has a more modern feel, in my opinion, but FIO sounds more of a classic Dragon Ball feel to it (Engrish lyrics aside). To be clear, I don't mean this in a bad way, I really do just find it interesting how people can perceive totally different things from the same source.

Either way, both are good songs!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:52 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Not that there's anything wrong with "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go," but I wasn't a big fan. Quite the contrary, I freakin' LOVED "Fight It Out"...sure, the English lyrics can sound a little silly at times, but Masatoshi Ono sings it with an enthusiasm that reminds me of Hironobu Kageyama. If we can't have Kageyama back, I would have preferred that Ono became the new "voice" of Dragon Ball songs. I got a French iTunes account for the sole purpose of downloading that song (and another song that, strangely, didn't end up being used called "Let It Burn").
I know man. Unforunately, I don't see it happening because Kazuya Yoshii did his english version of Cho-Zets Dynamic and I don't see there being any dubbed songs by other artists in Super, since I don't think they can do them