Home Release Packaging

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Home Release Packaging

Post by AzuraRacon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:22 pm

Has anyone purchase a "Part" Bluray from Funimation recently?
Do they still come with the Metallic slipcovers?

I ask because I recently started collecting the series in bluray, starting with the first four parts (for obvious reasons), and managed to get all four with the slipcovers
I'd originally planned on just getting seasons 3 and 4 on bluray after, but figured I might as well attempt to get a uniform set
Unfortunately Funimation apparently will stop producing the slipcovers or special packaging at some point during most show's runs (as they did with the first two Eva rebuid films) and switch over to standard packaging, and I'm not sure if that would apply to Dragon Ball properties or not
I attempted to ask Funimation's support and was told that whoever I spoke with could not give a yes or no on whether or not it does

So can anyone verify if the Parts still have metallic covers, at least if purchased within the past year
Last edited by AzuraRacon on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Re: Home Release Packaging

Post by AzuraRacon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:23 pm

I also apologize for creating an entirely new topic for such a specific question about packaging of all things, but after about an hour of searching I couldn't find any topics that could accommodate this question without it being off-topic

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:19 am

Well, if you're purchasing BRAND NEW releases - You're more likely to get the slipcovers. However, if you're like me and don't have that much money to spend - You'll end up getting the USED releases. The USED Blu-ray "part" releases (as far as I know) do not feature slipcovers most of the time, but for me: I was able to purchase used (like new) DVD "part" releases that came with slipcovers. So, long story short: Blu-rays are more likely to not come with a slipcover when you get it USED, DVDs (in my experience) are more likely to come with a slipcover USED (like new). And if you purchase the releases BRAND NEW, it will most likely always come with a slipcover (it will just be a bit pricey). Here's my experience collecting the parts:

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Part One (DVD) - Came with slipcover even though it was USED

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Part Two (Blu-ray) - Came with no slipcover and was USED

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Parts Three and Four (DVD) - Came with slipcover even though it was USED

However, don't take my word for it because I don't want to be blamed if you don't get what you wanted. I'm just saying this was my experience, yours could be very different.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:42 am

Well I plan on getting directly from Funimation so they'll be brand new
My question is if anyone else had bought a set from Funimation themselves in the past year and if they could whether or not they still had the slipcovers or if they had downgraded to plain Bluray cases

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:54 am

Normally I would just buy used, but for some reason parts 6, 7, and 8 are hard to come by (at least with pictures to confirm it's what I'm looking for instead of stock images), and they're usually marked up for being Out Of Print, which they aren't
That, plus considering the status of the Buu Dub right now, I figure every New purchase counts a far as support for the show