"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Cipher » Sun May 07, 2017 10:45 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's certainly not unjustifiable, it's just bound to be the most forced thing ever.
So forced many people brought it up as a sensible route when the arc was first announced?

I don't know; I guess we just part ways here. I think this makes perfect sense after the events or Resurrection "F". Though, again, I figured Beerus would be the one to insist they bring their third strongest fighter, moral implications be damned.

Everyone's also acting like Goku and Freeza are going to be shaking hands like Batman and Superman going off to fight crime. It's likely to be a huge source of tension heading into the arc.

Also, talk about a quadruple whammy for his teammates, who have to learn upon arrival that:

1) They're fighting for their lives, rather than for fun
2) The prize money is a lie
3) Goku is either directly responsible for the situation, or at least the target of other teams due to his flippant actions
4) They have to fight alongside Freeza
Last edited by Cipher on Sun May 07, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 07, 2017 10:46 pm

pacz360 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Being numb's not that fun. I don't feel strongly about any of this and it's boring to feel that way. Being bored is awful.

I honestly think what I'm gonna do is hang in there until they reveal the next arc's teaser and have that decide if I really should continue to keep up with this show or not.
Just drop it this shit isn't worth it
I'm considering it. It hasn't quite reached that event horizon yet, but it's close. I managed to get through the F arc, I should be able to get through this arc.

I just want to know what direction the show's going after this tournament's over. That'll decide it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:46 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
To be fair, he does have to try and keep his universe from being destroyed. This could be a "Desperate times call for desperate measures" type of situation.
Why not yamcha,goten or trunks then better options than the guy who hates your god damn guts.
Freeza is stronger. Just plain and simple. Not agreeing with the decision just saying , if goku is looking for strong people to help defend his universe (Freeza the defender of the universe...heh.) then it's not to illogical to bring freeza up.
You have vegeta,gohan,and possibly 17 all stronger than him not to mention guys like Roshi and tien being there on the team where you could have goten and trunks filling in if we're talking about power.
It makes the whole team works and tactics meaningless when you have a guy who pretty despises everyone on the team.

Orb

Post by Orb » Sun May 07, 2017 10:46 pm

OOOOOH this is interesting! I know its 100% a dead horse to use Frieza again but man I can't help to think about the possible story potential for this! The very being responsible for the show essentially (destroying Planet Vegeta and saiyans) and being the most evil villain in the entire series is now being forced to work alongside the people he wanted to kill? That's exciting! Would I have preferred to see some cool tricks by Buu? Sure! But this makes the character interactions and the future even more juicier.

I think this is why they had Buu fighting in the exhibition match. Since he would get shafted, the fans would at least see him fight for once.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun May 07, 2017 10:47 pm

God damn it. Yamcha and Buu always get shafted in every arc. This sucks so much.
Last edited by The_Destroyer on Sun May 07, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun May 07, 2017 10:48 pm

I know we're all gonna be feeling pretty flabbergasted by this latest development, but let's try to keep the nasty side of the knee-jerk reactions suppressed, okay?

Anyhoo, I kind of like the idea of Freeza being temporarily brought back for the Omni-King Sadism Tournament. I assume that Beerus would keep him on a tight leash, and the nagging possibility of him pulling some nasty betrayal could potentially add some extra tension to the arc.

But what I absolutely HATE is that this is only happening because Mr. Boo is getting snubbed yet again.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun May 07, 2017 10:48 pm

pacz360 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
pacz360 wrote: Why not yamcha,goten or trunks then better options than the guy who hates your god damn guts.
Freeza is stronger. Just plain and simple. Not agreeing with the decision just saying , if goku is looking for strong people to help defend his universe (Freeza the defender of the universe...heh.) then it's not to illogical to bring freeza up.
You have vegeta,gohan,and possibly 17 all stronger than him not to mention guys like Roshi and tien being there on the team where you could have goten and trunks filling in if we're talking about power.
It makes the whole team works and tactics meaningless when you have a guy who pretty despises everyone on the team.
Well, like I said, desperation is a factor is this possibility. I'm not trying to sell you on Freeza. Just saying it's not the most illogical thing in the world. Just kind of a weird idea. I'm not even fully convinced this isnt a gag episode yet, so well see how it plays out.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun May 07, 2017 10:49 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:God damn it. Yamcha and Buu always get shafted I'm every arc. This sucks so much.
Just makes me sick. At least give Yamcha a side story where he fights off a minor villain (like an alien similar to the one in the 17 episode)

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sun May 07, 2017 10:49 pm

pacz360 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
pacz360 wrote: Why not yamcha,goten or trunks then better options than the guy who hates your god damn guts.
17 is definitely stronger than Frieza,he went toe to toe with ssb Goku both were holding back so he's still saving most his strength not to mention Goku is much stronger than rof days and Dende said 17 would be terrifying as an ennemy which Goku later confirms which implies that he's stronger than the past ennmies considering Dende witnessed them all.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:50 pm

Cipher wrote:
pacz360 wrote:And? What make you think freeza would together with goku or vegeta despite all the shit he's done.
Not to mention this whole teamwork and tactics thing they have been pushing that shits worthless when you have a guy like freeza who hates everybody on the team.
Freeza hates being both 1) dead and 2) in Hell. He's also terrified of Beerus, and his movie introduced the idea that he could accept the idea of self-improvement. I don't necessarily think he needs to live through the end of the arc to be redeemed -- who knows what'll happen, and that's one of the things I'm excited about -- but I think this tracks with absolutely everyone's motivations. That's one of the reasons I though it would fit as soon as the arc was announced.
So he'll be back to hell even when they win so what's the point if anything hell gladly take all them dying then work together with them.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun May 07, 2017 10:50 pm

pacz360 wrote: It makes the whole team works and tactics meaningless when you have a guy who pretty despises everyone on the team.
That is a great point and what makes this interesting. I hope he is really petty towards his teammates even if he is forced to work with them. I hope he doesn't redeem himself. I hope he ruins things for no good reason. This is way more interesting than seeing the ten characters we know like and understand each other work together.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:51 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
17 is definitely stronger than Frieza,he went toe to toe with ssb Goku both were holding back so he's still saving most his strength not to mention Goku is much stronger than rof days and Dende said 17 would be terrifying as an ennemy which Goku later confirms which implies that he's stronger than the past ennmies considering Dende witnessed them all.
Which adds more to my point u7 already has enough heavy hitters. Bringing back Frieza again despite all the shit is just bad fucking writing.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun May 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Cipher wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's certainly not unjustifiable, it's just bound to be the most forced thing ever.
So forced many people brought it up as a sensible route when the arc was first announced?

I don't know; I guess we just part ways here. I think this makes perfect sense after the events or Resurrection "F". Though, again, I figured Beerus would be the one to insist they bring their third strongest fighter, moral implications be damned.

Everyone's also acting like Goku and Freeza are going to be shaking hands like Batman and Superman going off to fight crime. It's likely to be a huge source of tension heading into the arc. That's fun and exciting!
I definitely think it'll be exciting, and despite my demeanor towards this so far, I actually do think it's going to be a good, fun thing, but... come on. Freeza? Again? Maybe that's the problem, I like Freeza, but I kind of want him to stay in the past. Also, we basically already have Freeza as a main character for this arc in Frost, why not do something with him instead? There's so much more potential there.
Retired.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun May 07, 2017 10:52 pm

pacz360 wrote:So he'll be back to hell even when they win so what's the point if anything hell gladly take all them dying then work together with them.
Let's not jump to conclusions before we know what Freeza's getting out of the deal. We don't know what their arrangement will look like at all.

Finally -- as I'm probably done throwing my support behind this development -- one other benefit:

Super/the new material picks up a tidy five-act structure.
Last edited by Cipher on Sun May 07, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sun May 07, 2017 10:52 pm

pacz360 wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:
pacz360 wrote: You have vegeta,gohan,and possibly 17 all stronger than him not to mention guys like Roshi and tien being there on the team where you could have goten and trunks filling in if we're talking about power.
Which adds more to my point u7 already has enough heavy hitters. Bringing back Frieza again despite all the shit is just bad fucking writing.
I agree not a fan of Frieza coming back either we've had enough of him but lets see how it plays out.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun May 07, 2017 10:53 pm

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Damn. I was really looking forward to seeing Boo fight seriously on the protagonist side, ever since Super was first announced. I got my hopes up for the last tournament. It just feels a little cruel to do the same thing again. I would have rather seen Tenshinhan or Roshi fail to show, but I am looking forward to their chance in the spotlight.

However, unlike quite a few people here, I'm not at all upset about Freeza being the one to take his place. I think that will be a more interesting team dynamic. The fact that he only gets 24 hours means he doesn't have to be "redeemed." And seeing him go against Frost will be neat. (Will Frost have an answer to his "Golden" form? Will we get a tidbit about their race, maybe a name?)

I would like Boo to get his chance to shine before the series is over. That will make up for this, in my eyes.
This resumes my expectations and feelings as well. Perhaps Frost has a golden form and Freeza surely knows its weakness and can get over it.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Part of me wants to see Freeza in the new animation style, he didnt deserve to get that bad animation in his arc.

Also, I also have that feeling there will be another bait and switch and Freeza might not join and Yamcha becomes the 10th member.

Besides Yamcha, the other options are Jaco, Chatzou and Yajirobe...

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun May 07, 2017 10:55 pm

precita wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:God damn it. Yamcha and Buu always get shafted I'm every arc. This sucks so much.
Just makes me sick. At least give Yamcha a side story where he fights off a minor villain (like an alien similar to the one in the 17 episode)
They literally have the perfect set up for it: Most fighters are at the tournament of power, Goten and Trunks are protecting an island, Buu is asleep, and there is a mouse god of destruction who HATES Beerus. So if a threat were to come to Earth, Yamcha would be the only one left to protect it. I really hope Toei does something like this, but the gag will end with a scene of Yamcha still waiting for his invite after the tournament is over.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun May 07, 2017 10:55 pm

What are the chances of Buu waking up and them kicking Roshi off the team?

That will be the only thing that will make up for this.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:56 pm

Cipher wrote:
pacz360 wrote:So he'll be back to hell even when they win so what's the point if anything hell gladly take all them dying then work together with them.
Let's not jump to conclusions before we know what Freeza's getting out of the deal. We don't know what their arrangement will look like at all.

Finally -- as I'm probably done throwing my support behind this development -- one other benefit:

Super/the new material picks up a tidy five-act structure.
What letting him come back to life so he can get much stronger than before great idea!
Jesus fucking Christ shit like this pisses me off to see buu get screwed again despite getting hyped with the rest.