"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Kaiosama » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:54 pm

Herms: "As his consciousness fades after getting beat up and nearly ringed out by Jiren, he begins to hear Bulma's voice."

Nearly ringed out? Are they contradicting the earlier spoilers saying Vegeta gets eliminated? Maybe he does die in this episode.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Kaiosama wrote:Herms: "As his consciousness fades after getting beat up and nearly ringed out by Jiren, he begins to hear Bulma's voice."

Nearly ringed out? Are they contradicting the earlier spoilers saying Vegeta gets eliminated? Maybe he does die in this episode.
I don't think any of them actually say Vegeta gets eliminated. They do say that Goku and Jiren are the only ones left by 129. But that kind of happened with 17 too. That's what worries me. :shock:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:14 pm

It wouldn't be the first time character deaths have unlocked new forms in another character.
Krillin dying unlocks ssj1 Goku.
Future Gohan dying unlocks ssj1 Future Trunks
Android 16 dying unlocks ssj2 Gohan

Could Vegeta dying unlock final version of Ultra Instinct Goku?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:14 pm

Kaiosama wrote:Herms: "As his consciousness fades after getting beat up and nearly ringed out by Jiren, he begins to hear Bulma's voice."

No it’s not contradicting anything. Just because it says nearly ringed out doesn’t mean it won’t happen. This spoiler is most likely something in the middle of the episode and not at the end.

I can’t believe people keep entertaining the thought of Vegeta dying...It would make absolutely no sense

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:17 pm

Chuquita wrote:It wouldn't be the first time character deaths have unlocked new forms in another character.

Vegeta is not dying.. Goodness gracious. Two episodes ago Vegeta did an attack that tried to fool people into thinking he was dying, 17 died last episode, and now you think it’s possible he will die now? The shock of death for this specific character has already happened.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:17 pm

How many episodes of Super are left after this episode?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:17 pm

shadd21 wrote:How many episodes of Super are left after this episode?
129, 130 and 131, so 3 episodes.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:20 pm

TheOtherDude wrote:
Chuquita wrote:It wouldn't be the first time character deaths have unlocked new forms in another character.

Vegeta is not dying.. Goodness gracious. Two episodes ago Vegeta did an attack that tried to fool people into thinking he was dying, 17 died last episode, and now you think it’s possible he will die now? The shock of death for this specific character has already happened.
After seeing grey-haired ultra instinct come out of nowhere with 4 episodes left to go when black-haired UI was the one promoted like crazy this past half a year or so nothing would surprise me about the end of this arc.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:27 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
shadd21 wrote:How many episodes of Super are left after this episode?
129, 130 and 131, so 3 episodes.
So two episodes of UI Goku vs Jiren + a wrap up episode for the series? Sweet!

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Chuquita wrote:
TheOtherDude wrote:

After seeing grey-haired ultra instinct come out of nowhere with 4 episodes left to go when black-haired UI was the one promoted like crazy this past half a year or so nothing would surprise me about the end of this arc.
It comes out of nowhere because they want there to be surprises in the show. Why do you have to be told and prepped about something in a story?

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:35 pm

In regards to the idea of Vegeta dying...I could easily see that happening. This is Super. It's irrelevant how shitty that would be narratively, or how hollow and bizarre it would be due to the previous bait and switch near death and 17's death last episode. Again, this is Super. They've mad much dumber decisions before. This is a walk in the park for them.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:40 pm

This arc is so increasingly bizarre to me it's difficult for me to be upset at it anymore; especially with only 4 episodes to go. I'm just gonna ride the ride, see how it ends, and move on.
TheOtherDude wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
TheOtherDude wrote:
It comes out of nowhere because they want there to be surprises in the show. Why do you have to be told and prepped about something in a story?
Those are two different things.

I think it came out of nowhere because of merchandising. Or maybe it's the other way around and black-haired UI was a Toei-exclusive for the merch; we never did get Toriyama art of him. But then all of this is basically about making money so. Maybe if it were a hair-color I like more I'd be more excited? But I like blue raspberry blue a lot yet wasn't a big fan of ssjblue because it replaced ssjg in the same way losing the cool black to a less-cool grey also disheartens me.

About spoilers; I love spoilers. I am that person who goes out of their way to hunt down spoilers way in advance. I look forward to Animedia magazine's episode summaries/titles/staff for Super each month. Weekly Jump summaries and the screenshots DBS' official twitter post every Saturday are my jam. I am naturally curious about that sorta thing and if the information is out there for me to find I'm going to do my best to find it.

I can totally understand how some people may not like spoilers and may want everything to be a surprise, but when it comes to fiction that's not me at all.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:56 pm

Yep I rather vegeta dying than being throw out , just hope Goku will save him from being knock out so he saves somebody at least one time in this tournament before his final win. Or at least try ..
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:00 am

Chuquita wrote:This arc is so increasingly bizarre to me it's difficult for me to be upset at it anymore; especially with only 4 episodes to go. I'm just gonna ride the ride, see how it ends, and move on.
TheOtherDude wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
Those are two different things.

I think it came out of nowhere because of merchandising. Or maybe it's the other way around and black-haired UI was a Toei-exclusive for the merch; we never did get Toriyama art of him. But then all of this is basically about making money so. Maybe if it were a hair-color I like more I'd be more excited? But I like blue raspberry blue a lot yet wasn't a big fan of ssjblue because it replaced ssjg in the same way losing the cool black to a less-cool grey also disheartens me.

About spoilers; I love spoilers. I am that person who goes out of their way to hunt down spoilers way in advance. I look forward to Animedia magazine's episode summaries/titles/staff for Super each month. Weekly Jump summaries and the screenshots DBS' official twitter post every Saturday are my jam. I am naturally curious about that sorta thing and if the information is out there for me to find I'm going to do my best to find it.

I can totally understand how some people may not like spoilers and may want everything to be a surprise, but when it comes to fiction that's not me at all.
I actively hunt down spoilers so I’m not judging. I just see a lot of people get upset because things weren’t advertised before hand. Like Vegetas upgrade. People thought it came out of nowhere, but we saw that Vegeta wasn’t freaking out about UI nor did he want to give up his energy. The manga had Goku and Vegeta neck and neck at the beginning of the arc, so it’s safe to say that at some point they were going to be equals. At least that’s what was going through my mind this entire time. It made perfect sense if you weren’t one of those people who thought Vegeta was going to be irrelevant because he didn’t have many episodes dedicated to him at the beginning.

When something happens that people weren’t expecting, they get up in arms complaining there was no build up and blah blah.
Last edited by TheOtherDude on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 am

Kagari wrote:
Legion wrote:I think that another recolor is unnecessary. Black hair are perfect. Silver? meh...
Makes sense because they never showed Toriyama's design for it. And with the current version known as "omen" while upcoming merchandise for the mastered version is still censored... I think it's clear now there was always going to be at least some sort of visual change other than just aura or whatever. Helps to differentiate from Ultimate Gohan anyway, IMO.
UI was already very different from Ultimate Gohan.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:02 am

Artorias wrote:In regards to the idea of Vegeta dying...I could easily see that happening. This is Super. It's irrelevant how shitty that would be narratively, or how hollow and bizarre it would be due to the previous bait and switch near death and 17's death last episode. Again, this is Super. They've mad much dumber decisions before. This is a walk in the park for them.
Touchè. I find myself hoping they get things right, but it’s a lost cause.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:13 am

prince212 wrote:Yep I rather vegeta dying than being throw out , just hope Goku will save him from being knock out so he saves somebody at least one time in this tournament before his final win. Or at least try ..
If you mean Goku, he has saved several people in this tournament.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:26 am

Maybe Zeno decides to change the rules for the last minute and allows killing cause otherwise why would Jiren put his team and universe on the line like that ?

It could also mean this happens at the start and he falls out later but if he just passes out in the ring like Freeza then I can see both of them pulling something that'll help Goku near the very end.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:45 am

I notice you guys tend to overthink these episodes. The simplest outcome will likely be what happens.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:48 am

OLKv3 wrote:I notice you guys tend to overthink these episodes. The simplest outcome will likely be what happens.
This is pretty much the mentality fans should have when watching or thinking about Super.