"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:52 pm

The terrible thing is most likely going to be caused by Freeza. Otherwise him being in the tournament is a waste.
I think Vegeta will defeat Ribiranne. He'll be defeated after he beats his intro rival. Probably sacrificing himself to give Goku the edge he needs. Maybe even something like giving his energy to Goku, trusting him to win the thing

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:57 pm

I don't get why people keep saying Vegeta will be eliminated by brianne. What indicates that? The intro also showed goku vs bergamo yet no one thought of goku losing to him. Intros mean nothing in super. And vegeta isn't losing to some second class fighter. Either hit, jiren or toppo are eliminating him. Those 3 plus frieza Vegeta goku and 17 are the elite. Ill be surprised if anyone else comes close to those 7.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:03 am

I'm still waiting for someone to accidentally kill another opponent
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:14 am

It seems like we havr another case of translations that can mean anything!!

One translation has Roshi holding off foes until his friends arive. And hes still alive and kicking.

The other says he uses his electric shock technique and is fighting like a young man.

I really dont know how the translations can differ so. For me I believe this will lead to Roshis elimination.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:43 am

JulianStyles wrote:It seems like we havr another case of translations that can mean anything!!

One translation has Roshi holding off foes until his friends arive. And hes still alive and kicking.

The other says he uses his electric shock technique and is fighting like a young man.

I really dont know how the translations can differ so. For me I believe this will lead to Roshis elimination.
Both of those things are said in the same translation. Sounds to me like you're mixing up the placement of words.

But on the note of what things can mean, here's Herms talking about the "terrible" translation:

To avoid another Shikkaku Debacle (TM), here's a rundown of all the things とんでもない (translated as "terrible" above) can mean:

[spoiler]Adjective

1.unthinkable; unexpected; outrageous; offensive; terrible​ Usually written using kana alone

ジャックが音楽が苦手なんてとんでもない、それどころか、ピアノを弾くのがうまい。

It isn't true that Jack is no good at music; on the contrary, he plays the piano well.

Expression

1. absolutely not!; not at all!; far from it!; impossible!; preposterous!; what a thing to say!; no way!; bullshit ​Colloquialism, Usually written using kana alone

君はそれを終えたか」「とんでもない、始めたばかりだ」

"Have you finished it?" "On the contrary, I've just begun."[/spoiler]

So it can mean "unexpected", as it's been translated elsewhere, but it typically still implies the thing in question is bad and/or extreme. With that in mind, translating it as "one hell of a thing is going to happen" might strike the right mix of vagueness and impressiveness. But it's never "unexpected" in the sense of "oh, I didn't expect bananas to be on sale today.", is what I'm getting at.

Hana Midorikawa

Post by Hana Midorikawa » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:25 am

SirTorra wrote:I don't get why people keep saying Vegeta will be eliminated by brianne. What indicates that? The intro also showed goku vs bergamo yet no one thought of goku losing to him. Intros mean nothing in super. And vegeta isn't losing to some second class fighter. Either hit, jiren or toppo are eliminating him. Those 3 plus frieza Vegeta goku and 17 are the elite. Ill be surprised if anyone else comes close to those 7.
Why is this your assumption? We've barely seen her in action, for all we know she can be SSJB Tier at full power. Wasn't she also highlighted to be a potential threat for the TOP, much like Kale and Jiren?

A lot of these fighters in the TOP have unknown power levels so it's a little head scratching when people assume how weak or strong a character is.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:58 am

Simere wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:It seems like we havr another case of translations that can mean anything!!

Both of those things are said in the same translation. Sounds to me like you're mixing up the placement of words.

But on the note of what things can mean, here's Herms talking about the "terrible" translation:

To avoid another Shikkaku Debacle (TM), here's a rundown of all the things とんでもない (translated as "terrible" above) can mean:

[spoiler]Adjective

1.unthinkable; unexpected; outrageous; offensive; terrible​ Usually written using kana alone

It isn't true that Jack is no good at music; on the contrary, he plays the piano well.

Expression

1. absolutely not!; not at all!; far from it!; impossible!; preposterous!; what a thing to say!; no way!; bullshit ​Colloquialism, Usually written using kana alone

So it can mean "unexpected", as it's been translated elsewhere, but it typically still implies the thing in question is bad and/or extreme. With that in mind, translating it as "one hell of a thing is going to happen" might strike the right mix of vagueness and impressiveness. But it's never "unexpected" in the sense of "oh, I didn't expect bananas to be on sale today.", is what I'm getting at.
Kenxyros translations mentions nothing about Roshis. Comrades arriving. For me this is a much closer translation as the pattern is good showing then eliminated. If Roshis friends arive how will he be eliminated?

Kenxyro was also one of the few people to use the word eliminated for Krillin in episode 100. While Herms had disqualified.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:59 am

Hana Midorikawa wrote: Why is this your assumption? We've barely seen her in action, for all we know she can be SSJB Tier at full power. Wasn't she also highlighted to be a potential threat for the TOP, much like Kale and Jiren?

A lot of these fighters in the TOP have unknown power levels so it's a little head scratching when people assume how weak or strong a character is.
Pretty much this. We'll know how strong a character is when we actually see them fight on-screen, speculating how strong or weak a character is means nothing until they perform actual feats.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:02 am

Cute. And scary at the same time...

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:33 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Cute. And scary at the same time...

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That Virtual Boy aesthetic rubs me the wrong way. Black with red lines... egh.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:54 am

JulianStyles wrote:
Simere wrote:

[spoiler]Adjective

Expression

Kenxyros translations mentions nothing about Roshis. Comrades arriving. For me this is a much closer translation as the pattern is good showing then eliminated. If Roshis friends arive how will he be eliminated?

Kenxyro was also one of the few people to use the word eliminated for Krillin in episode 100. While Herms had disqualified.

Because the word they used means both with a stronger connotation of disqualified.

They are both great translators.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:27 am

SansrivaaL wrote:Maybe U7 loses and Zeno erases them, as they accept their fate Goku is surprised he wasnt erased, and Zeno says its because he likes him and wants to watch him fight more, he then proceeds to blame himself and unlocks a new form then goes on a rampage, its more painful to know that everyone you love and care for gets erased while you remain alive.
Nice one.
Shame everyone''s alive at the end of the manga though.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:32 am

Zamasu55 wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:Maybe U7 loses and Zeno erases them, as they accept their fate Goku is surprised he wasnt erased, and Zeno says its because he likes him and wants to watch him fight more, he then proceeds to blame himself and unlocks a new form then goes on a rampage, its more painful to know that everyone you love and care for gets erased while you remain alive.
Nice one.
Even if we didn't know the ending I doubt current Goku would care that much about them to get that upset.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:32 am

Zamasu55 wrote:
Nice one.
His theory doesn't preclude them from being restored.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:56 am

Simere wrote:
Zamasu55 wrote:
Nice one.
His theory doesn't preclude them from being restored.
How????

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:00 pm

sintzu wrote:
Zamasu55 wrote:
Nice one.
Even if we didn't know the ending I doubt current Goku would care that much about them to get that upset.
He gave the Grand Priest a angry glare when universe 9 was erased.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:02 pm

MR.Mark wrote: He gave the Grand Priest a angry glare when universe 9 was erased.
Not like he can do anything else to him either..
The one time Goku needs his strength the most, is when it can't support him..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Cute. And scary at the same time...

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Lol, the Zen-Ohs look terrifying. Oh and look! Gohan actually made it on to one of the CD covers :)
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Ki Breaker wrote: Not like he can do anything else to him either..
The one time Goku needs his strength the most, is when it can't support him..
Which makes it all the more tragic, he knows he cant do anything, he has nothing to offer them that can undo it.
They need to cut ties with the GoDs,Zeno and GP or at least stand in equal footing... they're like playthings to them for amusement.
sintzu wrote: Even if we didn't know the ending I doubt current Goku would care that much about them to get that upset.
Current Goku, the guy that just told 17 he cant stand innocent people in danger, what more if those innocent people were his friends and family.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:43 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Zamasu55 wrote: Nice one.
He gave the Grand Priest a angry glare when universe 9 was erased.
Plus Goku was mad when Freeza started killing those assassins infront of him even with Freeza saying what does it matter if they're gonna die anyway and you can see the confliction in Goku. Goku has only cared for death when it happens in front of him and Super is staying very true to this. I don't why people think Goku is apathetic, he has shown to be the opposite throughout Super.