"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:33 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Michsi wrote:We don't have the details, just the overall sum of the merchandise sales, so we don't know what that means for TOEI. Movies just might bring in more money to Toei directly. DVD/BD for Super aren't great in Japan, and licensing profit can only bring so much.
BD/DVD sales for a lot of series aren't that great in Japan because of how ludicrously expensive they are. A 12 episode "season" set easily costs $100 or more while over here something like that would run maybe $20-30. Those are aimed more at a niche collector market and it's one of the reasons so many companies are trying hard to fight imports of cheaper western releases.

If you take a look at their listings on Amazon, the sets cost about 12,000 yen/115 dollars on average, and that's with a discount provided. At normal retail the dvds are 12,096/$114.67, and the blu-rays are 16,416/$155.62.
I know that they are super expensive in Japan, but it's also a source of necessary income for the studio. I think (I'll have to check) OP is doing better in that regard, oddly.

HeroR wrote: Except it was solely due to Super since Dragon Ball games and the movies existed together before Super and neither of them put Dragon Ball over the top. And most of the games blew up because they had new content to put into it other than one-off movies that happens every few years.

And you just showed the power of Dragon Ball that with an anime alone, it outpaced One Piece which also have a mega-hit manga.
I think I looked over the numbers once, and someone claimed that Xenoverse and Dokkan were doing fine on their own and are less expensive to maintain and update.
And again, if we are talking about the same chart, those are Bandai Namco numbers. Toei is the one making the anime.

This feels a lot like those discussions before the end of DB got confirmed. "Makes too much money"/"would never end it with those numbers". I keep saying, keep an open mind, you never know.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:41 am

Michsi wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Michsi wrote:We don't have the details, just the overall sum of the merchandise sales, so we don't know what that means for TOEI. Movies just might bring in more money to Toei directly. DVD/BD for Super aren't great in Japan, and licensing profit can only bring so much.
BD/DVD sales for a lot of series aren't that great in Japan because of how ludicrously expensive they are. A 12 episode "season" set easily costs $100 or more while over here something like that would run maybe $20-30. Those are aimed more at a niche collector market and it's one of the reasons so many companies are trying hard to fight imports of cheaper western releases.

If you take a look at their listings on Amazon, the sets cost about 12,000 yen/115 dollars on average, and that's with a discount provided. At normal retail the dvds are 12,096/$114.67, and the blu-rays are 16,416/$155.62.
I know that they are super expensive in Japan, but it's also a source of necessary income for the studio. I think (I'll have to check) OP is doing better in that regard, oddly.

HeroR wrote: Except it was solely due to Super since Dragon Ball games and the movies existed together before Super and neither of them put Dragon Ball over the top. And most of the games blew up because they had new content to put into it other than one-off movies that happens every few years.

And you just showed the power of Dragon Ball that with an anime alone, it outpaced One Piece which also have a mega-hit manga.
I think I looked over the numbers once, and someone claimed that Xenoverse and Dokkan were doing fine on their own and are less expensive to maintain and update.
And again, if we are talking about the same chart, those are Bandai Namco numbers. Toei is the one making the anime.

This feels a lot like those discussions before the end of DB got confirmed. "Makes too much money"/"would never end it with those numbers". I keep saying, keep an open mind, you never know.
Fine, but blew up after Super aired with Dokkan having an entire category based on the TOP and UI Omen Goku being in their Christmas banner for Global. In fact, if you log into Dokkan when Super aired in Japan, you got two free stones, some times five. Not to mentioned, they released Omen just hours after 110 and they did the same with UI Goku for 130.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:57 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: BD/DVD sales for a lot of series aren't that great in Japan because of how ludicrously expensive they are. A 12 episode "season" set easily costs $100 or more while over here something like that would run maybe $20-30. Those are aimed more at a niche collector market and it's one of the reasons so many companies are trying hard to fight imports of cheaper western releases.

Fine, but blew up after Super aired with Dokkan having an entire category based on the TOP and UI Omen Goku being in their Christmas banner for Global. In fact, if you log into Dokkan when Super aired in Japan, you got two free stones, some times five. Not to mentioned, they released Omen just hours after 110 and they did the same with UI Goku for 130.
Oh, there is no denying Super contributed massively. I'm curious to see how the numbers will do once DBS is off the air, and part of me hopes they will drop a bit if only to serve as incentive to make another series.

Another important factor is Toriyama and his interest in helping with DB.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:10 pm

Michsi wrote:
Oh, there is no denying Super contributed massively. I'm curious to see how the numbers will do once DBS is off the air, and part of me hopes they will drop a bit if only to serve as incentive to make another series.

Another important factor is Toriyama and his interest in helping with DB.
He wrote a movie and actually said he more easily come up with story ideas now that he doesn't have to draw anything. If anything, Toriyama seemed more active lately.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Now even Toyo is hyping the last episode up...!! Just what are we in for... :?

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:11 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Now even Toyo is hyping the last episode up...!! Just what are we in for... :?
Source?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:26 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Now even Toyo is hyping the last episode up...!! Just what are we in for... :?
Source?
I don't know if this has been posted but the other cast members have given their comments on it as well.

http://www.animegamesonline.com/2018/03 ... -for-fans/

Whatever we're in for is going to be epic and I think will bring major changes to the DB lore.

highlights :
it’s not like this is the end of Dragon Ball itself. I hope I’ll be able to deliver thrills to you all again in the future.
While this episode marks the end of the TV anime for now, I expect that it will probably start up again. Of course everyone should look forward to the movie in December, but also look forward to what will happen afterwards!
I think the highlight will be seeing just how Jiren gets taken down.
Dragon Ball isn’t ending here, so I’m looking forward to seeing along with everyone else where the series and where Master Roshi go from here.
Ryota Nakamura spent about three months drawing the storyboards for the final episode. Story-wise, there’s plenty of scenes to make the fans’ hearts skip a beat.
No. 17, Freeza, Goku is left behind. It is not just a battle for these three people to fight … a tremendous chemical reaction will occur. Since Professor Toriyama ‘s original plan, I am sure to have a climax that everyone could not have expected. I am looking forward to Mr. Toriyama for considering this continuation and seeing you all again!
Last edited by sintzu on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:30 pm

sintzu wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Source?
I don't know if this has been posted but the other cast members have given their comments on it as well.

http://www.animegamesonline.com/2018/03 ... -for-fans/

Whatever we're in for is going to be epic and I think will bring major changes to the DB lore.
Source for toyo.
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/9768 ... 61697?s=20
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:43 pm

Thanks! Now I wonder if hyping this episode could be considered some kind of spoiler, I mean I don't even want know how I would suppose to feel about this final episode lol

by Doctor.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:13 pm

Toyotaro thinks the last episode is tear inducing?

I'll take that bet. Dragon Ball's never brought me to tears before (though that dbs episode where Goku temporarily lost his powers and couldn't help fly to find baby Pan came close) but I'm curious as to if this can.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:22 pm

sintzu wrote:
No. 17, Freeza, Goku is left behind. It is not just a battle for these three people to fight … a tremendous chemical reaction will occur. Since Professor Toriyama ‘s original plan, I am sure to have a climax that everyone could not have expected. I am looking forward to Mr. Toriyama for considering this continuation and seeing you all again!
With all the people making wild predictions I'm sure someone came pretty damn close to guessing it. :P
Chuquita wrote:Toyotaro thinks the last episode is tear inducing?

I'll take that bet. Dragon Ball's never brought me to tears before (though that dbs episode where Goku temporarily lost his powers and couldn't help fly to find baby Pan came close) but I'm curious as to if this can.
Tears of joy or sorrow? I remember when the staff lists for 130 and 131 came out, Ajay said he'd heard that Ishitani's storyboards were very moving. [spoiler]If Vegeta has a big heartfelt reunion with Cabbage I might get a little misty eyed >>[/spoiler]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:46 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:

Tears of joy or sorrow? I remember when the staff lists for 130 and 131 came out, Ajay said he'd heard that Ishitani's storyboards were very moving. [spoiler]If Vegeta has a big heartfelt reunion with Cabbage I might get a little misty eyed >>[/spoiler]
Happy things don't make me cry, but I could see how Toyotaro could be talking about tears of joy.

[spoiler]Cabba never really interested me much outside his plot power as a free ticket to Planet Salad and possible still unknown lineage as the only other galic-themed ki attack user. I'll be happy if Uni 6 does get wished back because I still have hope for an arc set there eventually. I want Vegeta to make good on his promise to Cabba and get his field trip.[/spoiler]
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:03 pm

I'm more afraid than hyped.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:18 pm

Simere wrote:I'm more afraid than hyped.
Indeed. They can say it’s “cool” or “mindblowing” all they want. But what people tend to forget, is that these terms are highly subjective by definition. So the last thing i’m going to do right now it celebrate in joy. I’m just going to wait patiently before we decide all that.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:48 pm

I think its probably about Beerus and Champa, I could see both hugging each other and Beerus telling him "I missed you" or something touching.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:55 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Simere wrote:I'm more afraid than hyped.
Indeed. They can say it’s “cool” or “mindblowing” all they want. But what people tend to forget, is that these terms are highly subjective by definition. So the last thing i’m going to do right now it celebrate in joy. I’m just going to wait patiently before we decide all that.
I think it's going to be the kind of ending that either everyone will hate and wish the show didn't exist or the one everyone will love and praise super to no end. Either way, I think a major change is going to happen in the DB lore.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:24 pm

I forgot, do we have a break, or is the final episode gonna be this week?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Kanassa wrote:I forgot, do we have a break, or is the final episode gonna be this week?
it coming this weekend.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:27 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'll take that bet. Dragon Ball's never brought me to tears before (though that dbs episode where Goku temporarily lost his powers and couldn't help fly to find baby Pan came close) but I'm curious as to if this can.
Really? Not even when Goku reunited with his grandpa? When Krillin died for the first time? When Bardock despite all his effort was destroyed alongside his home planet by Freeza? When Goku became a SSJ on Namek? When Future Trunks saw Future Gohan dead corpse? When Gohan finally unleashed his full power and turned into SSJ2? When Goku reunited with the gang and Goten see his father for the first time? Vegeta last words before his sacrifice in attempt to destroy Boo? Vegeta finally admiting that Goku is the #1? Pan making Goku return his consciousness as a Golden Oozaru? Goku saying goodbye to everyone and Vegeta words to Pan? The final sequence with all that flashbacks, the narrator saying a few words about Goku and "that's how the story of Dragon Ball comes to an end"?

Man, I don't know if I'm a cry baby or you just too hard lol

by Doctor.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:33 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'll take that bet. Dragon Ball's never brought me to tears before (though that dbs episode where Goku temporarily lost his powers and couldn't help fly to find baby Pan came close) but I'm curious as to if this can.
Really? Not even when Goku reunited with his grandpa? When Krillin died for the first time? When Bardock despite all his effort was destroyed alongside his home planet by Freeza? When Goku became a SSJ on Namek? When Future Trunks saw Future Gohan dead corpse? When Gohan finally unleashed his full power and turned into SSJ2? When Goku reunited with the gang and Goten see his father for the first time? Vegeta last words before his sacrifice in attempt to destroy Boo? Vegeta finally admiting that Goku is the #1? Pan making Goku return his consciousness as a Golden Oozaru? Goku saying goodbye to everyone and Vegeta words to Pan? The final sequence with all that flashbacks, the narrator saying a few words about Goku and "that's how the story of Dragon Ball comes to an end"?

Man, I don't know if I'm a cry baby or you just too hard lol
I litterally teared up at ALL of the scenes you mentioned. It's actually making me almost tear up right now just thinking about it :lol:
Get Fucked, C_unt