"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed May 24, 2017 11:03 am

Bullza wrote: They aren't exactly limited in the story they can tell by not jumping past EoZ. All the potential storylines can be told without going past that.
It depends how they do it. Because no matter how vague they are about the time frame, using the Dragon Balls will always give it away.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Wed May 24, 2017 11:06 am

shadowmaria wrote:Sorry for the double post

Battle of Gods - ~One year after the Buu memory erasure wish. Two if considering Wrath of the Dragon canon. (narrator says "some more time passes"
ResF - One year later, confirmed because Pan's age. Also, all three wishes can be used, so at least enough time has passed for the ball's to recharge. All three wishes are used
Uni 6 - One year later, one wish is used.
Future Trunks aftermath - One year later. It's been a year since Goku and Hit last met, the ball's have recharged. One wish is used before Shenron times out.
Tournament of Power - Shenron hasn't been summoned as of yet

Based on this, we're currently only four years post-Buu. Trunks would be 12, Goten would be 11.

(I understand that old guidebooks contradict this slightly with Pan and Bulla, but it's not the first time they've been contradicted in Super. The Universe's shape and design, for example)

What about the wish used to make Pan feel better?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed May 24, 2017 11:53 am

MagmonKai wrote:

Battle of Gods - ~One year after the Buu memory erasure wish. Two if considering Wrath of the Dragon canon. (narrator says "some more time passes"
ResF - One year later, confirmed because Pan's age. Also, all three wishes can be used, so at least enough time has passed for the ball's to recharge. All three wishes are used
Future Trunks aftermath - One year later. It's been a year since Goku and Hit last met, the ball's have recharged. One wish is used before Shenron times out.

Based on this, we're currently only four years post-Buu. Trunks would be 12, Goten would be 11.

(I understand that old guidebooks contradict this slightly with Pan and Bulla, but it's not the first time they've been contradicted in Super. The Universe's shape and design, for example)

What about the wish used to make Pan feel better?
That wish is just the continuation of the wishes they left to Shenron when they summoned him before the Champa tournament. Let's say this time instead of being a plot-hole of Dragon Balls being active after 8 months (as it happened back in the serie after the first tournament) this time the Dragon Balls are inexplicably active after just a little more than 4 months, for whatever reason. It's a plot-hole, it makes me wonder how it's possible no one thought having Shenron this soon would have created problems on the long run, especially because Super is being squeezed in the 10 year gap so they must avoid this types of plot-holes at all costs.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed May 24, 2017 12:56 pm

A time skip is needed. Being confined before EoZ is extremely limiting and the lack of growth with the characters is apparent.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed May 24, 2017 12:56 pm

HeroR wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
HeroR wrote:
That's a joke right? The same series that brought us "five minutes until Name explodes".
Thats not what I'm talking about AT ALL.

I mean in terms of characters lives passing by, growing, etc. It makes no sense for Earth to be in danger every couple months is basically what I'm saying.

Trunks and Goten will never grow up sadly. That ties into the problems Super has though.
In Super, the Earth has been in danger twice. One by Beerus and the other by Freeza. Both that takes place a year from each other.

And this is only a problem with some with Super. Most don't care.
Earth wasnt in danger during U6 I guess Ill concede that. It certainly was in the FT Arc though. Who knows what Zamasu and Black might have done to other timelines onve strong enough.

Its certainly in danger now...but everything is.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 24, 2017 1:03 pm

No, as far as we know Super doesn't change when BoG and F take place.
The Champa arc isn't a full year after F, remember there is a short timeskip in F after the balls are used.
Wrath of the Dragon can't work with Super because they use Cell's time machine in the Future Trunks arc.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 24, 2017 1:08 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote: Earth wasnt in danger during U6 I guess Ill concede that. It certainly was in the FT Arc though. Who knows what Zamasu and Black might have done to other timelines onve strong enough.

Future Earth. Present Earth remained peaceful outside of Black's brief appearance. And that is a 'What If' and Black and Zamasu may not even reached the present timeline for decades.

Right now, there's a threat, but right now, the Earth is peaceful. It is like how the Earth wasn't in danger during the Namek/Freeza Saga.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed May 24, 2017 3:29 pm

We all now Super tends to do a lot of homages to Z, could we expect those to Broly in the Tournament Of Power?

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Personally I would love to see Kale doing any of those moves with any of her adversaries :P
Last edited by Noah on Wed May 24, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed May 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Noah wrote:We all now, Super tends to do a lot of homages to Z, could we expect those to Broly in the Tournament Of Power?

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Personally I would love to see Kale doing any of those moves with any of her adversaries :P
If kale is getting matched up with gohan then it's not happening, unless they decide to have kale eradicate other Universes first, which I am all about
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:40 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

What do you think of this pic? You think this is how the ToP might work without being a trainwreck?

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Wed May 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Noah wrote:We all now, Super tends to do a lot of homages to Z, could we expect those to Broly in the Tournament Of Power?

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

I guess it would depend how big Kale gets compared to everyone else. Though I actually wouldn't mind seeing an homage to the first shot. I always really liked that one.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed May 24, 2017 3:44 pm

HeroR wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote: Earth wasnt in danger during U6 I guess Ill concede that. It certainly was in the FT Arc though. Who knows what Zamasu and Black might have done to other timelines onve strong enough.

Future Earth. Present Earth remained peaceful outside of Black's brief appearance. And that is a 'What If' and Black and Zamasu may not even reached the present timeline for decades.

Right now, there's a threat, but right now, the Earth is peaceful. It is like how the Earth wasn't in danger during the Namek/Freeza Saga.
When Zamasu became one with the universe he was endangering other timelines too
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Wed May 24, 2017 3:45 pm

The ToP will probably be kinda trash. A battle royal in a giant ring sounds dumb as hell. It should have been a conventional toruny or hungers games style. What we'll get is some one piece level chaos. At least that's what I expect from this. I just hope my boys (Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo) get some good fights. I mean Gohan almost certainly will. Krillin will get something. I don't know if it'll be a fight. Piccolo just lucky he's not getting the buu treatment.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed May 24, 2017 3:47 pm

perucho1990 wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

What do you think of this pic? You think this is how the ToP might work without being a trainwreck?
Doesn't show gohan making out with kale, I call bullshit on this
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed May 24, 2017 3:53 pm

Everyone is thinking in terms of Saiyan vs Saiyan but let me make a prediction:

Frieza will finally defeat a Saiyan in battle, lose his mind gloating and be eliminated by a lesser opponent towards the middle or end of the tournament.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

TheGreatSaiyaman
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGreatSaiyaman » Wed May 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:

I like the picture and, second this opinion :lol: .

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Wed May 24, 2017 8:13 pm

TheGreatSaiyaman wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:

I like the picture and, second this opinion :lol: .
I would change the teletuby to Hit or U6 saiyans for something. That teletubie magical girl will probably be fodder compared to SSB Vegeta. But I do like the picture though, lol. Oh and it should of Frieza in the corner saying "who can I shoot in the back"

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed May 24, 2017 8:22 pm

Bullza wrote: Well why not? What's the big deal with a time skip? All we'd be getting is Uub and a few of the side characters would have an older appearance.

There's not a huge thing to gain from it. There isn't a vital need for any major time skips. One Piece is 80 odd volumes long and that only had one time skip of 2 years.

They aren't exactly limited in the story they can tell by not jumping past EoZ. All the potential storylines can be told without going past that.
It was vital and big deal enough to be a core apect of the saga in its original decade-long run. The audience and new generations were growing up with the cast, time skips allowed major developement for multiple characters (as obviously kid Gohan ain't the same as adult Gohan). One Piece comparsion is irrelevant to Dragon Ball

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:55 pm

dragon boss z wrote:
I would change the teletuby to Hit or U6 saiyans for something. That teletubie magical girl will probably be fodder compared to SSB Vegeta. But I do like the picture though, lol. Oh and it should of Frieza in the corner saying "who can I shoot in the back"
If Brianne is Jirens counterpart then it wont be easy for Vegeta, and Daishinkan was hyping her.

Besides the pic I posted, anyone has ideas in what formation should U7 use for the ToP?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed May 24, 2017 9:08 pm

Basaku wrote:It was vital and big deal enough to be a core apect of the saga in its original decade-long run. The audience and new generations were growing up with the cast, time skips allowed major developement for multiple characters (as obviously kid Gohan ain't the same as adult Gohan). One Piece comparsion is irrelevant to Dragon Ball
That was just so Goku and the other young characters got up to adulthood. The same thing they later did with the other main character Gohan. It's not so important for Goten or Trunks because they aren't that important.

There's not so much of a need for it now. They chose this time period in the first place because the characters were starting to become too old.

The audience doesn't need to grow up with the cast anymore because they're all older than the fan base by a decade or more.